Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 07:15 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,727 times

Advertisements

I think you may be looking too much into it. I personally don't see anything wrong with "pretty", especially "very pretty". But have you ever asked him?

The one I hate is "hot". It's like a pick-up line at the bar. I dated a man in his mid-40's who would say things like "wow, you're so hot". It made him sound like a prepubescent boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 07:26 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Not everyone is a poet laureate. Learn how to take a compliment, and then maybe he'll be moved enough to use a thesaurus to describe your inner AND outer pulchritude.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:27 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,687,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
And I'm not complaining, I'm questioning the use of words and how they convey a level of attraction. What man tells his wife or girlfriend that she's "pretty"? No, she's not pretty. He would say that she's beautiful at the least. I just don't like to waste time blushing over people who aren't physically attracted to me, but I'm taking some of the feedback here into consideration into whether I'm judging this reasonably or not.
As others have said, more information is needed.

In my experience men use a huge range of words to describe women they find attractive, including pretty.

This guy you adore might not feel comfortable using the particular words you are expecting or hoping for him to use. If he said it without emotion in a matter of fact way, then move on. If he said with sincerity, take it as such. Try not to get hung up on word choices, or your future relationship with this guy will be very difficult for you both.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:34 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
\
I was thinking that too.. Of course, when applying it to a guy, "very handsome". What guy would take offense to that, I wonder
....well, when I was in my 20's, like this girl it would bother me to be called 'handsome', why not 'hot' so I sort of understand where she is coming from, BUT now I can see that it was a silly thing to get upset about, some guys are just called 'nice' and are never called 'handsome' so may as well be happy with any compliment.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:39 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
not to burst anybody's bubble here but, there are very few women most men find "stunning" or beautiful. Many are attractive, pretty, cute. Think of the word stunning. Really? Very few. sorry.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:39 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,489,494 times
Without pulling out the old Funk and Waginalls, I would think that the word "beautiful" would be defined as "very pretty." After just seeing the OP's picture, I myself would use the word "HOT!" But I do think the OP is making much ado about nothing.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:43 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
not to burst anybody's bubble here but, there are very few women most men find "stunning" or beautiful. Many are attractive, pretty, cute. Think of the word stunning. Really? Very few. sorry.
this is actually very true, I would even put hot into the category of more common adjectives used to describe a woman. Stunning and beautiful are reserved for those rare women you see once in a while.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,472,793 times
You are probably over-thinking this. Thank the gods he didn't say you have a great personality!

Some guys just don't have a way with words. And not all wonderful women - even potential lovers and mates - are physically attractive except to those who love them. I don't know what you look like, but perhaps "very pretty" is truly a compliment?

Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
If I called a woman "very pretty" it would be sincere and perhaps out of shyness or caution.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:11 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
....well, when I was in my 20's, like this girl it would bother me to be called 'handsome', why not 'hot' so I sort of understand where she is coming from, BUT now I can see that it was a silly thing to get upset about, some guys are just called 'nice' and are never called 'handsome' so may as well be happy with any compliment.
There you go. It's a shame that people have to experience life to understand this basic fact. Be happy with the compliments you receive. It's better than being thought of as ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships