Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 02:13 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,327,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
It is quite the deal...4drm, immaculate, on a private 5 acre lake, with 3 other acres of prime land, owners passed away about 2 years ago, estate just settled, and kids want to sell and be done with Alabama, asking a very LOW price.

I hope he can buy it.
Well said. If things work out and you guys get married later on......much later on....then it won't be a problem to add you to the deed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 02:29 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,837 times
Option A. No marriage, no house together.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
My S.O. and I aren't married yet, though we plan to be at some point (not a huge rush for either of us). We have been together four years, and lived together for all but about 4 months of that time. At the two-year mark, SO wanted to buy a house. I've never been a huge "must buy a house" person, myself, but S.O. was marking the close of his twenties, settled at last in the city he'd decided he'd like to stay in, and was ready.

In the end, we househunted together, chose the home together, but it's in his name (at my request). I pay a portion of the mortgage, equivalent to the portion of rent I was paying when we were renters together.

When we're married, I probably will be added to the deed, but we'll see - he's fine with it being added. I just didn't have any big urge to enter into a financial contract with somebody to whom I'm not yet legally connected. It wasn't a matter of the number of years we'd been cohabiting, it had more to do with not being married. It honestly makes no difference to me whether I pay my boyfriend X dollars for my portion of the "rent" and it goes to a landlord we are both paying, or if it goes toward the mortgage on the place we are both living. As I said, home ownership was more something that's my SO's want then it is a big dream of mine...

Old 05-16-2011, 03:15 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
Are you kidding? Buying a house together is a HUGE commitment and you would be signing up for a lot of potential bad outcomes with very little legal protection (provided by marriage.) What if he decides not to pay the mortgage any more? What if he loses his job and the relationship sours? What if he decides to break it off and starts bringing his new girlfriend home while you're living there and the house is under both your names? There are lots of ways this could turn out unfavorably. Yes, that can happen even if you were married, but you have a heck of a lot more protection if you're married. This is a poor financial decision on your part if you agree to it.

Under no circumstances would I buy a house with this man if you two aren't even ready to make the commitment of marriage. If you're not ready to commit to a lifetime together, then no way are you ready to purchase real estate.

And you know what? That's a perfectly good answer. I would tell him, "I'm open to the idea one day, but I don't think it's the right time yet. We shouldn't be thinking about something like that unless we one day decide to get married. But of course, if you want to do it on your own, go ahead."

Old 05-16-2011, 05:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
No Way! Stay independent, and keep finances separate, until you have been together for at least 2 or 3 years.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:32 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times
Tried to rep you h886 for your excellent analysis below, but was told I gotta spread the rep around

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Are you kidding? Buying a house together is a HUGE commitment and you would be signing up for a lot of potential bad outcomes with very little legal protection (provided by marriage.) What if he decides not to pay the mortgage any more? What if he loses his job and the relationship sours? What if he decides to break it off and starts bringing his new girlfriend home while you're living there and the house is under both your names? There are lots of ways this could turn out unfavorably. Yes, that can happen even if you were married, but you have a heck of a lot more protection if you're married. This is a poor financial decision on your part if you agree to it.

Under no circumstances would I buy a house with this man if you two aren't even ready to make the commitment of marriage. If you're not ready to commit to a lifetime together, then no way are you ready to purchase real estate.

And you know what? That's a perfectly good answer. I would tell him, "I'm open to the idea one day, but I don't think it's the right time yet. We shouldn't be thinking about something like that unless we one day decide to get married. But of course, if you want to do it on your own, go ahead."

Old 05-17-2011, 05:02 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
I know a guy who bought a house with his girlfriend and then had to move out when he caught her cheating with her cousin.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:51 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
SO wants "us" to buy a new home, he wants to sell his, where we are currently residing and us buy a newer one together...

I told him, I'd give it some thought after seeing the home, drove by today, looks good so far, but, we are NOT legally married, and nothing said, at least not to the point said about us getting married..

I would marry him, but, as said previously, no hurry. AS I see it, I have two choices...

A. Tell him he can buy it, in his name (don't think he would be able to considering his debt ratio) and we live like we do now...

B. Buy it with him, with a written agreement with what happens if we don't ever get married and one of us decided to move on(I don't see that happening, but, what if?)

C. (insert your advice)

Not sure what to do here...what would you do?
B. Most people DON'T see that happening, but "what if" is right.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:53 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
If you're not married, you should not get a mortgage together.

Period.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:20 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Perfect advice, IMO. Just TOO risky for you!

You must protect yourself at all costs~always.

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships