Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 05:41 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I didn't say anything about things being unfair, or that they should change...did I? I think people just need to stop crying about the fact that there are differences between the genders. Get over it already.
If people just accept the way things are then how are they ever going to change? How far would this society have gone if people just sit around accepting things instead of challenging them?

Most double standards are social constructs anyway and are pretty much illogical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 05:47 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
If people just accept the way things are then how are they ever going to change? How far would this society have gone if people just sit around accepting things instead of challenging them?

Most double standards are social constructs anyway and are pretty much illogical.
I know! And eventually I'd like them to change so that maybe there isn't so much animosity between some men and women. I actually start by thinking that a man that sleeps around a lot is a man-s.l.u.t. Not a stud.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
I know! And eventually I'd like them to change so that maybe there isn't so much animosity between some men and women. I actually start by thinking that a man that sleeps around a lot is a man-s.l.u.t. Not a stud.
Not just between men and women but people in general. People of the same sex are as harsh if not harsher about enforcing these double standards then those of the opposite sex.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:14 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Not just between men and women but people in general. People of the same sex are as harsh if not harsher about enforcing these double standards then those of the opposite sex.
Ya that too. Women are always making catty remarks about each other! And guys will tease one if he happens to be a virgin. It makes me mad! I live it when a man is a virgin! And as for the girls, they need to shut the hell up about who's fake and who's real! It's stupid!

Old 05-27-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Ya that too. Women are always making catty remarks about each other! And guys will tease one if he happens to be a virgin. It makes me mad! I live it when a man is a virgin! And as for the girls, they need to shut the hell up about who's fake and who's real! It's stupid!
The good news is that many of these attitudes are changing. They are changing slowly but they are indeed changing.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:34 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,107,900 times
I'm a big fan of double standards.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:40 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
IMHO, too many people listen to what 'others' think, say, and do.

I was raised by a father who believed in me, that I could do anything. He taught me how to hunt and fish, and write and speak effectively. He taught me to do whatever I could, to use my talents, to not put up with anyone else's "woulda shouldas". He took me to football games and 'incidents' (he was a news reporter) and encouraged me to, whenever I was afraid, charge ahead and do what I was afraid of. He didn't care that I wasn't beautiful (my mother was a model, and a mean-spirited, vicious woman who drank and partied on his money) - he taught me that beauty fades but stupid is forever, so it was better to be smart.

All of that means that I have never been a clingy, helpless, dependent woman, never went out for "girls' nights", never thought that shopping was fun, never let a man tell me how to live or what to do, and never used my femininity to get what I wanted. I have been a firefighter, an EMT, a political consultant, political columnist, and speechwriter, a stand-up comedienne, owned two businesses, trained dogs and horses, and done as I've pleased for over 50 years. I am married to a man who isn't insecure about his maleness, who loves and respects me and has for 29 years. I have raised my own kids and fostered others. Most of my friends are male; we watch football and enjoy being outside doing physical things.

Yes I AM a B****. I am hard and cold and sharp as a tack, mean and tough and will probably be that mean 90-year-old lady who lives down the street and answers her door with a shotgun. But children from toddlers to teens love me because I tell them the truth and don't condescend to them, my own kids and fosters call me to tell me they love me, even as adults. Men who aren't strong either hate or fear me, insecure women snipe at me about my clothes (even when Merle Norman did my face and I wore $500 dresses) and attitudes. Big deal. I Yam what I yam; I chose to be this way, I like who I am and I don't give a dang if others don't.

Stereotypes are confusing to me; why would some people WANT to subvert who they are just to be accepted or appear to be 'normal'? Why do people choose to be drama queens or dependent simpletons, or choose to be arrogant lunkheads who think that, simply because they are male, they can intimidate and must be catered to? If more people 'broke the mold' there wouldn't be stereotypes. I pity people who didn't have a father like mine...

Old 05-28-2011, 06:52 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,205,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
IMHO, too many people listen to what 'others' think, say, and do.

Can not rep you since I need to spread the love, but just wanted to say you sound like a great lady! Kudos to you for being willing to think and act for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships