Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:19 AM

146 posts, read 246,938 times

Advertisements

If you're divorced, have had some kids but don't want anymore, and don't really want to get married again, is it unrealistic to hope for a long term relationship that doesn't feel the need to move in together or progress beyond regular dating?

I like to go out on the weekends, but also kind of like my own space? To me, once you move in together it's all just household chores and wishing they would close the bathroom door.

Someone to go out with on Friday or Saturday nights and holidays, have sex, enjoy each other's company, but also have our own lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 10:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Short-term, yes. Long-term, no.

People want progress in life. They want to know their lives are going somewhere. They want meaning. They hate ruts.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:23 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,197,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliveinsa View Post
If you're divorced, have had some kids but don't want anymore, and don't really want to get married again, is it unrealistic to hope for a long term relationship that doesn't feel the need to move in together or progress beyond regular dating?

I like to go out on the weekends, but also kind of like my own space? To me, once you move in together it's all just household chores and wishing they would close the bathroom door.

Someone to go out with on Friday or Saturday nights and holidays, have sex, enjoy each other's company, but also have our own lives?

To answer your first question: Yes, you can

To answer your second question: Even singles with no children, who have never been married and for those who wish to marry again have a difficult time getting dates for Friday, Saturday night, have sex, and enjoy each other's company.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:25 AM

887 posts, read 1,100,725 times
Quote:

This is what I would prefer! I don't think it is realistic however. The continued frequency and physical interaction is bound to build a bond between two people and I don't think it can be avoided.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
People want progress in life. They want to know their lives are going somewhere. They want meaning. They hate ruts.
I think you can get in a rut at any stage along the way - I think it would be easier to keep it interesting if you are just planning one really great date a week, and you're more likely to get in a rut if you're married, but that's just me.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:31 AM

While this article is slanted toward cohabitation, the same has applied to many who simply choose not to live with someone at all.

Quote:
The U.S. Census Bureau has reported that from 1990 to 1999, the percentage of unmarried senior couples 65 and older rose significantly. Forbes reports "In 2006, 1.8 million Americans aged 50 and above lived in heterosexual "unmarried-partner households," a 50% increase from 2000, figures Bowling Green State University demographer Susan Brown

For many senior citizens, marriage simply is not financially practical.

Cohabiting Seniors -- Reasons Senior Couples Say No to Marriage

My own mother never remarried after three children and a divorce and continues to date.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:37 AM

This article here talks about dating indefinitely:

Quote:
Study Shows Senior Citizens Haven't Retired from the Pursuit of Love

Research shows senior citizens have active dating life.

Young people aren’t the only ones who enjoy dating! There is no such thing as an expiration date when it comes to love and sex, and a new survey from Matchmaker.com further proves this case.
Dr. Laura Berman: Study Shows Senior Citizens Haven't Retired from the Pursuit of Love - Sexual Health Center - EverydayHealth.com

Old 01-12-2014, 10:45 AM

well, I'm not a senior, but I guess I will be eventually, so if we're really talking about "indefinitely" that is relevant.

the financial part mentioned in those articles related to seniors isn't my primary concern, but it is true that unnecessary financial complication is probably the third in my list of reasons I don't want to get remarried.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
well, I'm not a senior, but I guess I will be eventually, so if we're really talking about "indefinitely" that is relevant.

the financial part mentioned in those articles related to seniors isn't my primary concern, but it is true that unnecessary financial complication is probably the third in my list of reasons I don't want to get remarried.
I know you are not a senior and I apologize if you thought I was suggesting that, but if you want to simply date 'indefinitely' this is what you are looking at.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:51 AM

792 posts, read 1,302,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Short-term, yes. Long-term, no.

The only difference between a "rut" and a "grave", is the depth of the hole...just thinkin !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships