Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:52 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,900 times

Advertisements

So, I was out with someone and she saw a couple she knew so we stuck together for a lot of the night. As things wound down we found ourselves in a hippie kind of bar. The tables were bolted down, so when her friend's boyfriend tried to move one I said, "Don't steal it".

Then he went into a one sided conversation that started with, "Yeah, you know how us white people do/ok since you said that, then I can tell you this. Then he told a really bad n-word joke. And he actually said the n-word.

Why do people do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 10:59 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
It is never acceptable under any circumstances to me. I really hate that kind of humor, if that's what you can call it.

However, it does no good to berate the person. The better course of action is simply say, "I didn't find that very funny," and then change the subject. The message will be very clear without destroying the evening.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:00 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
The bigger question I think is why are people so damn sensitive? It's just a joke! I swear people are such pu**ies these days! Black people AND white people!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:02 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post
So, I was out with someone and she saw a couple she knew so we stuck together for a lot of the night. As things wound down we found ourselves in a hippie kind of bar. The tables were bolted down, so when her friend's boyfriend tried to move one I said, "Don't steal it".

Then he went into a one sided conversation that started with, "Yeah, you know how us white people do/ok since you said that, then I can tell you this. Then he told a really bad n-word joke. And he actually said the n-word.

Why do people do this?
What is the big deal about the n-word

Old 06-21-2011, 11:04 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java378 View Post

Why do people do this?

I think a joke is a joke...my friend is white..his bestfriend is black...and they tell each other racist jokes all the time..they don't get offended..they know its only a joke and they can take it...my friend would tell me the immigration was going to take me away...it was funny because he was the one with the accent..
But when you degrade someone thats a different story..

Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,877 times
It is most likely that he is racist and most people mistake silence for agreement so he thought you similarly felt superior to black people.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:16 AM

If I got angry every time someone called me a Mick because I'm Irish or called me a f*g because I was a nurse, I'd be in prison. I fear we are going to raise a generation of very thin skinned children.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:17 AM

252 posts, read 555,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
The bigger question I think is why are people so damn sensitive? It's just a joke! I swear people are such pu**ies these days! Black people AND white people!
I guess it is ok to generalize people on your terms huh... just not when you disagree....

Old 06-21-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthesun7 View Post
I guess it is ok to generalize people on your terms huh... just not when you disagree....
If I know its just a joke why should I let it bother me? If you add not being able to tell a joke with not being able to cut a kid from a sports team or not being able to give a kid an F on a report card, kids are going to be SISSIES if we arent careful.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:46 AM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,900 times
The strange part is, before that I was the "inappropriate one" because I rubbed the back of her friend's father earlier that night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships