Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,013,276 times

Advertisements

I don't like just to be nice compliments, if its idle chit chat it has no meaning and is no compliment. A deserved compliment on the other hand is a nice thing both given and received.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 12:20 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,200,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
So why are some people so reluctant to give compliments?

I was out on a date and the guy just kept looking at me like he had something to say. I was like "what's on your mind?" he would say "nothing" and then look away. But minutes later he would look again. I started to get a little exasperated... he finally said "you're so hot I really like your smile and eyes and... etc" I told him thanks but really why do people hold back? If you want to compliment someone and express that you are 'into' someone else then you should do it... don't be bashful because the moment may pass you by

"Pardon me, miss, I was going to compliment you on ________ but you just leave me speechless. "

like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
I don't like just to be nice compliments, if its idle chit chat it has no meaning and is no compliment. A deserved compliment on the other hand is a nice thing both given and received.

Yup... a genuine compliment is much better.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Exactly. I think a lady would like that very much.
Oh, really??...some women complain that that is what men keep looking at when they talk to them...and they consider it insulting..what to do....what to do....

Old 10-19-2011, 02:42 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
I'm reluctant sometimes, mainly because I often get a 'riiiiight'. Makes me feel like they think I'm lying or I sound awkward so they don't believe I'm sincere. It's hard for me to give compliments so when I do, I really mean it.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:54 PM

732 posts, read 1,046,486 times
Has anyone noticed that the thread title "Scared To Give A Compliment Much?" is gender neutral, yet just about every single response over 5 pages has been geared towards women accepting/rejecting/disliking compliments from men?

Do women ever compliment men? Is that out of the realm of possibilty? Do men ever receive compliments? Should men receiving compliments also be a part of this thread?

Old 10-19-2011, 03:09 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
I'm reluctant sometimes, mainly because I often get a 'riiiiight'. Makes me feel like they think I'm lying or I sound awkward so they don't believe I'm sincere. It's hard for me to give compliments so when I do, I really mean it.
I don't think it's that they think you're lying, but to me a random compliment in the middle of a date is a sign that they have nothing better to say or no interests beyond my appearance. Saying a girl looks nice when you pick her up is expected, but randomly blurting out that she's hot halfway through the night implies you haven't been paying attention to anything but her boobs.

I don't compliment much unless someone especially earned it. If you hand out compliments like candy they just lose their meaning.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:11 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I don't think it's that they think you're lying, but to me a random compliment in the middle of a date is a sign that they have nothing better to say or no interests beyond my appearance. Saying a girl looks nice when you pick her up is expected, but randomly blurting out that she's hot halfway through the night implies you haven't been paying attention to anything but her boobs.

I don't compliment much unless someone especially earned it. If you hand out compliments like candy they just lose their meaning.
Who says it's all about looks? My compliments aren't usually about looks. I'm far more impressed with other aspects of a man than his looks. No one's looks will last, I don't care how good you look. But character and talent can be boundless. I like to recognize that in people.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:17 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Who says it's all about looks? My compliments aren't usually about looks. I'm far more impressed with other aspects of a man than his looks. No one's looks will last, I don't care how good you look. But character and talent can be boundless. I like to recognize that in people.
Okay. The OP was talking about looks. But I think the same goes for any out of the blue compliment. It has to be related to what's happening right then or it just sounds insincere.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:20 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
Has anyone noticed that the thread title "Scared To Give A Compliment Much?" is gender neutral, yet just about every single response over 5 pages has been geared towards women accepting/rejecting/disliking compliments from men?

Do women ever compliment men? Is that out of the realm of possibilty? Do men ever receive compliments? Should men receiving compliments also be a part of this thread?
I'm pretty sure that's because most of the people commenting on this thread are men. I'm a woman - my post was about complimenting anyone.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Okay. The OP was talking about looks. But I think the same goes for any out of the blue compliment. It has to be related to what's happening right then or it just sounds insincere.
Just answering the topic title which said nothing about looks. Their case was about looks, but compliments are compliments, regardless of what they're about, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships