Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:24 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
So, you burned yourself out?

Let's just say that my Path has taken me far from where it first started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 07:37 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,473,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
At 20 I was renting a loft in NYC, running my own successful business, working toward my degree and hitting on everything that came along. I was driving a Vette and a KZ-1000 and throwing insane parties.

Of course, that was all going on since I was 17 but I know that wasn't the question ...

Now? Now I'm a monk. No money, no car or bike, no loft. I live in a tiny apartment and eat sparingly. I have no r/l friends and few acquaintances. I only fool around when the opportunity presents itself and promises to go nowhere.

Does that help? Somehow I doubt that it does ...
That actually helps. It goes to show that your dating life at 20 is not always an indication of your dating life when you're older.

Are you no longer managing a strip club? Because you say you have no money, and I would imagine a strip club manager job pays well.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
On my 20th birthday I had been dating my college sweetheart about nine months. We met at the beginning of the second semester of my sophomore year, and stayed together until about a year after graduation. Had a fun summer, then met my next long-term relationship (nearly 3 years) at a bar a week after my 23rd birthday. He was supposed to be a one-night stand.

There isn't much difference between then and now. I was socially well-adapted and able to form relationships then, and I'm socially well-adapted and able to form relationships now.

However, I do think that there are more socially maladapted 20-year-olds now than there were then, and I chalk that up to improper and unbalanced use of technology. When people freak out about Facebook friends lists, are unable to pick up a phone and actually talk to a prospective love interest, and cannot muster up the courage to ask someone out by using their voice instead of their thumbs, they are socially maladapted.

Your bad dating life will change when you are no longer socially maladapted.
What is it about voices? You're not the only person that I heard say that. I heard someone (from my generation) say that a guy has no balls if he doesn't ask out a girl with his voice.

I have a fear of rejection, but I don't think technology has anything to do with it. My family got a computer in 1998. But I didn't start using technology seriously until 2005. And my fear of rejection precedes 2005.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:46 PM

Something that bothers me is when people say we (young people) have the rest of our lives to date. Sure, we have the rest of our lives to date. But that doesn't mean we're going to be attractive for the rest of our lives.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
That actually helps. It goes to show that your dating life at 20 is not always an indication of your dating life when you're older.
You've got it - at least in THIS case.

Quote:
Are you no longer managing a strip club? Because you say you have no money, and I would imagine a strip club manager job pays well.
Yes, but that's when you're NOT paid mainly by business profits. My contract has little real financial pay up front - it really only kicks in when we have a great night.

Plus, as of late I've been taking myself away from the hands-on stuff, instead subbing out to managers, bouncers, etc., so I pay THAT out of my end also. It's almost like gambling - if you bet you're going to have a great night, put up your money up-front and you actually DO have a good night, you win big. If the night sucks, you lose. Big. So now I struggle daily with an arcane blend of weather info, current local events, state of local businesses, upcoming holidays, dancer availability and road conditions and try to come up with the winning daily number.

Hey, it beats working a 9-5 job.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
You've got it - at least in THIS case.

Yes, but that's when you're NOT paid mainly by business profits. My contract has little real financial pay up front - it really only kicks in when we have a great night.

Plus, as of late I've been taking myself away from the hands-on stuff, instead subbing out to managers, bouncers, etc., so I pay THAT out of my end also. It's almost like gambling - if you bet you're going to have a great night, put up your money up-front and you actually DO have a good night, you win big. If the night sucks, you lose. Big. So now I struggle daily with an arcane blend of weather info, current local events, state of local businesses, upcoming holidays, dancer availability and road conditions and try to come up with the winning daily number.

Hey, it beats working a 9-5 job.
Phil, so are you sort of a promoter or throw nights? If so, that's interesting. I managed a dance club for awhile, but I was just salaried. My dh, OTOH, used throw nights. The club would supply the booze and bartenders, but his crew worked the door, supplied the DJ's, and decor.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:07 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
At 20, I had been dating my boyfriend for four years and had been engaged for two. I spent my 20th birthday in Oxford as an exchange student, studying English; he came to visit me and we spent five days in Paris. Dating included movies, going out to eat, a few concerts, family stuff. I was learning to cook then and would make dinner for him and his mom.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:21 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Some posters said my bad dating life will change when I get older. But that brings me to the question "What was your dating life like at my age (20)? And what's it like now?"

When you say my dating life will change, are you speaking from your own personal experience? Or are you just making a wild guess?
It was desperate and lonely, now 2 years later it's just lonely.
Lessons learned:
1: Desperation passes over time.
2: Working out like a moron replaces some of the physical needs, horse-liniment on the sword also makes it go away temporarily.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:24 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
At 20, I was in the middle of a two year relationship with the love of my life.

At 36, I'm single and am semi ok with it

Old 07-14-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Phil, so are you sort of a promoter or throw nights? If so, that's interesting. I managed a dance club for awhile, but I was just salaried. My dh, OTOH, used throw nights. The club would supply the booze and bartenders, but his crew worked the door, supplied the DJ's, and decor.
Close. The dancers, DJs and bartenders are independent contractors; only the managers and bouncers are employees. Since I'm the "Operations" side of the biz it's up to me to get things going. Sometimes it's more like being the wise and all-powerful Oz behind the curtain, throwing levers and making fire and smoke and noise, all the while hoping people don't see the reality.

I lose money early in the week and, hopefully, make it up on the weekends. A Yin/Yang-kinda' thing ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships