Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should pay for dinner on the first date?
The Man 99 57.23%
The Female 7 4.05%
They should split 67 38.73%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:08 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times

Advertisements

I believe the one who does the asking should pay. I see nothing wrong with a woman asking a man out. I have never done it. And the men I date (now) would never allow me to pay. Nor would it ever be point of discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDezi View Post
Yes. I don't let them pay though. I know better than that. When they suggest to pay, even if they invited, I see it as a trap. They nicely volunteer to pay, but I know deep down they believe I should pay. If I didn't, I know I would not get a second date. That's just how it goes I guess.
You guess? Is that the way it goes? How do you know enough about someone to know they are not being sincere when they offer to pay on the first date?

Quote:
I am sure there are some women out there that really would not mind paying for the date,
Apparently, not if you see every offer to pay as a "trap".

Quote:
but to know which is and which is not, that is the tricky part. Which in the end is not worth finding out.
But you still date. Makes no sense.

Quote:
For those of you saying that the person that did the invitation should pay let me clarify the original question....

ASSUME THE FIRST DATE IN QUESTION WAS MUTUALLY AGREED UPON.
Quote:
For those of you saying that the person that did the invitation should pay let me clarify the original question....

ASSUME THE FIRST DATE IN QUESTION WAS A MUTUAL INVITATION.
These make no sense either. All dates are mutually agreed upon, unless there is a gun to one's head. And how often do two people do the inviting
at the exact same time?

This sounds more like another woman bashing thread. How original.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 06:20 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:

ASSUME THE FIRST DATE IN QUESTION WAS MUTUALLY AGREED UPON.
You mean like if you asked her, "Would you like to meet me at Lucky Dragon on Friday at 7 p.m. and buy your own food?" and she said yes? Then sure, she should pay.

Mr. Dezi, would you like to have dinner with me at my house? You would? Terrific! Please bring a salad, dessert, two bottles of wine and some napkins. Thank you. See you then.

See how weird that is?

Old 07-17-2011, 06:39 PM

409 posts, read 2,634,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I believe the one who does the asking should pay. I see nothing wrong with a woman asking a man out. I have never done it. And the men I date (now) would never allow me to pay. Nor would it ever be point of discussion.
Good for you.

Quote:
You guess? Is that the way it goes? How do you know enough about someone to know they are not being sincere when they offer to pay on the first date?

It would be stupid of me to bring this up on a first date. I does bother me, but not enough to ruin a date or to even discuss it with someone I am barely meeting. I understand that is just how society works. I won't ruin a date just to have a discussion about this. That is the reason I use the forums to have discussions about subjects like this.

Quote:
Apparently, not if you see every offer to pay as a "trap".
But you still date. Makes no sense.
What are the odds the woman is sincerely asking this question? Most women ask it as a courtesy more than anything. I don't want to fall in the trap of saying yes to splitting/letting her pay the bill and risking ruining the date. I just go with it.

Of course I still date. This is just a discussion forum. I am writing this for discussion's sake, not as principle I live by.

If I let her pay or suggest splitting, I'll look like an a$$. I have the money to pay, its just the principal behind it I don't like.

Quote:
These make no sense either. All dates are mutually agreed upon, unless there is a gun to one's head. And how often do two people do the inviting
at the exact same time?
This was an answer to another person's question. Please read the the previous threads.

Quote:
This sounds more like another woman bashing thread. How original.
When did I bash a woman in this thread?

Old 07-17-2011, 06:45 PM

409 posts, read 2,634,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You mean like if you asked her, "Would you like to meet me at Lucky Dragon on Friday at 7 p.m. and buy your own food?" and she said yes? Then sure, she should pay.

Mr. Dezi, would you like to have dinner with me at my house? You would? Terrific! Please bring a salad, dessert, two bottles of wine and some napkins. Thank you. See you then.

See how weird that is?
It is just as weird as you want it to be. I believe the ideal way to handle this is just to do it in a casual matter and it applies to places where you actually pay for food/entrance/etc. I just believe that the way things should be to keep equality among the sexes is for the female not to have an expectation of they guy paying, but instead to expect the bill to be split. This would give him the option to either pay for it if he wishes to or split it.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:49 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
It is just as weird as you want it to be. I believe the ideal way to handle this is just to do it in a casual matter and it applies to places where you actually pay for food/entrance/etc. I just believe that the way things should be to keep equality among the sexes is for the female not to have an expectation of they guy paying, but instead to expect the bill to be split. This would give him the option to either pay for it if he wishes to or split it.
It is already equal. If she asks you, she pays. If a guy invites me to dinner, am I supposed to ask where we're going so I can find out if I can afford it? That is just awkward and weird to me. But good luck with doing it your way.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:58 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
It is already equal. If she asks you, she pays. If a guy invites me to dinner, am I supposed to ask where we're going so I can find out if I can afford it? That is just awkward and weird to me. But good luck with doing it your way.
I agree. If dh and had had this arrangement when we met, there would have been one very embarassing scene at a restaurant followed by my never going out with him again because I'd be too embarassed. I was broke when we met. If I had had to see a doctor back then I would have had to have borrowed the money from someone. Dh was making the equivalent of about $50K today. Not rich but I figured he had the sense to pick restaurants he could afford.

IMO, it is unfair of one person who can afford to go out to ASSume that the other person can also afford to go out. Financial matters usually are not discussed before the first date. So, the person who does the asking does the paying and picks the restaurant. If the assumption would have been we each paid our own bill, I never would have gone out with dh. I just couldn't afford it.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:08 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
There is no category for depends, but really I don't think it's that a big deal. When I date it has always been the person with more money who paid. If I had more money I would pay if my date had more money she would pay. I remember one of my first dates in college I offered to pay and my date who was rather well off essentially grabbed the check and told me that I was cute, but shouldn't be silly.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:43 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Like it or not, men who pay for the first date are more successful than men who don't pay. It is up to you to decide if you are willing to pony up the money for a date in order to gain this edge. If you don't want to pay, you are well within your rights to inform your dates that you will be going dutch, at the time you extend the invitation. You will have many women reject you as a result, but that's the choice you are making. Life isn't fair, man up and understand we all have to face things that work against us in life. Paying the check isn't fair to you, but that's the way it is.

Lot's of unfair things happen to us all. Example: I am black, and if I dress too casually I am not given the same amount of respect as I get when I dress well. I am talking, I get the "do you even belong here?" treatment as opposed to being welcomed. Tough luck, I suck it up and understand this is a factor in how I choose to present myself to the world. It isn't fair but that's just too bad to me, no reason to cry about it.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:45 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Whoever asked out the other. Why on earth would you ask ME out on a first date, and expect me to pay for the evening? You are hosting...you pay. I ask you, I pay.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:47 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
No kidding. Common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships