Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 04:29 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I agree that it's boring. For me, I never do dinner on the first date. I try to do something that is outside of the normal dating manual.
I didn't start doing dinner at restaurants with any frequency until I married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I find it best to play it safe for a first date. Dinner is an acceptable treat (rather than looking cheap), isn't really a distraction to conversation and allows a lot of talking, questioning and getting to know each other. Since the first date is mostly about evaluation, this works well. And if we can't enjoy each others company without some external activity, then the chemistry probably isn't there.

I do get more creative on later dates.
I don't find dinner at restaurants to be all that conducive to a getting to know you type conversion. Maybe I'm just slow, but looking at the menu, and then the eating, gets in the way of talking. Coffee and a walk, or even a drink, seems like it would be easier. I recall being outside quite a bit when I was dating. With that said, I know eating can be an important social event for humans. I figure if we're going to eat, lets pack a lunch and hit a trail or go kayaking, or bring some groceries to the local park (there are usually grills with picnic tables). Of course, there are those who are not out-doorsy types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
What in particular is nauseating or is a "fail" about my embracing of egalitarianism instead of feminism?
Eh, the anti-feminists on this board. I'm pretty sick of the lot of you, hence the nausea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 04:32 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
If you're going to quote people, quote them accurately. Cherrypicking is a very poor debate tactic.
Thank you. It's one he uses frequently here. Very annoying, and it paints an incorrect reference for those that have not read the entire thread. Of course, that's the point.

Quote:
AGAIN, there is a difference between a first date and an established relationship where people cohabitate. When both partners work full-time, both partners do housework. If one person works and the other stays home, then the other keeps the house. Who is the breadwinner and who stays home (male or female) doesn't matter. I have a few girlfriends who are the primary breadwinners. One has a husband who stays home and sells sports memorabilia on-line (not full-time work by a long shot), while she pulls in six figures working at a law firm. You'd better believe he keeps house. They have cats and you'd never know it. He keeps the place so clean, you can practically eat off the floor.

You like to bring up my marriage. Apparently you are fascinated with it. I was the breadwinner. Dang straight I expected my ex to do housework. If he worked and I didn't have a job, I would keep the place neat. That's the arrangement he has with his current wife, who stays home with their two kids.

But when both partners work full-time, both partners do housework, too. Really, it's not that difficult to understand.
EXACTLY. He ignores that fact because it invalidates 98% of his posts.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I didn't start doing dinner at restaurants with any frequency until I married.

I don't find dinner at restaurants to be all that conducive to a getting to know you type conversion. Maybe I'm just slow, but looking at the menu, and then the eating, gets in the way of talking. Coffee and a walk, or even a drink, seems like it would be easier. I recall being outside quite a bit when I was dating. With that said, I know eating can be an important social event for humans.

Eh, the anti-feminists on this board. I'm pretty sick of the lot of you, hence the nausea.
Yep yep yep. I've stated on here many times, dinner (or dinner/movie) is NOT a good first date...and generally best left for later dates after you know someone better. If I ever have to date again, I think that will be a rule of mine - no first dates that are over a meal!

Old 01-05-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yep yep yep. I've stated on here many times, dinner (or dinner/movie) is NOT a good first date...and generally best left for later dates after you know someone better. If I ever have to date again, I think that will be a rule of mine - no first dates that are over a meal!
I guess people just don't know what else to do?

Old 01-05-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
I disagree.

Ye gods, people. Some of you are acting like $30 for two at Friday's is some great expenditure that signifies either female disempowerment or male suckerhood. It's a meal, and if you can't afford that, then go sit in a park on a nice spring day with ice cream cones.

Holy crap, the drama and overanalysis on this thread is unbelievable. If I believed in a god, I'd thank him or her that I've never run into people who suck all the life and fun out of dating like this. Do those among you who keep tabs make your partners pay for their own meals when you take them out for their birthdays, too? Do you keep a running ledger of how much each meal you've paid for costs, run a tally at the end of the year, and demand payment for the difference if you were the one who paid for more?

What if you are with someone who makes half as much money as you do? Do you whine if that person can only take you to Friday's instead of Chez Fon-Fon? Do you then only take that person to Friday's because that's all they can afford to do for you, because that way it's "always equal?" What if that person can only afford to buy ingredients and cook for you? Do you never take that person anywhere?

And once you've been with someone for a few years, and that person has been by your side at weddings, funerals, and hospital beds, do you put a monetary value on that? Do you still keep tabs? Are you like this guy, keeping a balance sheet on the refrigerator?
I know. If these people weren't so sad, they would be funny. I have never, EVER, run into any man (or woman) like those portrayed in these threads over money. And I am so thankful for that!!

Old 01-05-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
I guess people just don't know what else to do?
There are SOOOO many things to do, if they would just climb out of the box sometimes...and look around. Yanno? My first THREE dates with my current boyfriend - 1)2 games of putt-putt down at the beach 2) Howloscream at Busch Gardens and 3) a return to Howloscream (1 ticket got us 2 visits). We didn't have a single sit-down dinner date...for, gosh...I don't remember how long it was before we did that. Heck, by that time, we were exclusive.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 01-05-2012 at 05:16 AM..

Old 01-05-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
There are SOOOO many things to do, if they would just climb out of the box sometimes...and look around. Yanno? My first THREE dates with my current boyfriend - 1)2 games of putt-putt down at the beach 2) Howloscream at Busch Gardens and 3) a return to Howloscream (1 ticket got us 2 visits). We didn't have a single sit-down dinner date...for, gosh...I don't ever remember how long it was before we did that. Heck, by that time, we were exclusive.
Sounds like fun. Frankly, I'll pass on the chain restaurants, outside the BBC , dating or not.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:31 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
I disagree.

Ye gods, people. Some of you are acting like $30 for two at Friday's is some great expenditure that signifies either female disempowerment or male suckerhood. It's a meal, and if you can't afford that, then go sit in a park on a nice spring day with ice cream cones. ]

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best post award!

+1

Old 01-05-2012, 07:30 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,979 times
Quote:
I don't see the problem if I'm pushing for equality and not at all interested in seeing women treated the way they were in the past. I simply have disagreements with the radicals and some of NOW's policies on child custody.

Ah well, c'est la vie.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:35 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,469,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunodog View Post
Everybody lets make it simple.

Guys pay for all of it.

Girls pay by her vagina, make up, salon, nail and other bs

or equality

pay 50/50
What does this mean? I feel like its some ancient text found inside a cave.

If I pay for a date, in returns I get vagina, make up, a trip to a spa, and some other bs? Oh how neat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships