Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:35 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,427,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I can see where this thread will go. It will divide between the embittered, cynical souls who couldn't have a relationship if they tried and those who have actually -- gasp -- made wise decisions when choosing a life partner and keeping that relationship healthy.

The first group will never blame themselves for their incompetence, but will instead lay their relationship failures at the feet of everything else. For that would mean admitting to being wrong.
OMG what a holier-than-thou post. LOL All I have to say is that I never got a call to be surveyed by these people...But I did meet a couple last night that appeared to be happily married for 50 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 12:46 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,015,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Heartbreak?
*Dr. Evil impression* "I'll get you for this maa maa!"

Let me rephrase, they don't make the adjectives to go along with heartbreak. lol

Old 08-10-2011, 12:47 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,844,279 times
I would hope so. Gosh I guess there is hope for the future.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:48 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,583,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
This is so stupid, of course married people should like each other! If not WTF are they married for? It's like saying "Studies show that friends actually like each other!" WOW!!!

I guess in a new world where divorce is the rule and not the exception, this would be news.... lol
Because of the baby?

Old 08-10-2011, 04:29 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,399,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
*Dr. Evil impression* "I'll get you for this maa maa!"

Let me rephrase, they don't make the adjectives to go along with heartbreak. lol
Ha! True! All adjectives are not strong enough for that feeling.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,662 posts, read 81,421,151 times
When I was in college studying statistical analysis I remember well a book that I read in which it was demonstrated that a survey can be done in a manner that will produce the results you want, and that happens every day when commercial interests are involved. In this case, answering that one does not like their spouse is very unlikely. The person asked may be suspicious that the interviewer is really a private detective hired by their spouse, or worry that it somehow could get back to the spouse. If you see a married couple still together after their children are grown and moved out, then they are most likely happy with their spouse. Often those living together but unhappy stay for the benefit of the kids.

The book I mentioned was written in the 1950s. I met my wife in college, in a psychology class and we are still together after 37 years.

Lying With Statistics

Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,234,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If you see a married couple still together after their children are grown and moved out, then they are most likely happy with their spouse.
That's true to some extent, but by that time finances are so complicated and commingled and starting your life from scratch again so frightening and difficult that many just decide to carry on with the known devil... You know how you boil a frog, right? Slooooowly...

Old 08-10-2011, 09:43 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,218,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's true to some extent, but by that time finances are so complicated and commingled and starting your life from scratch again so frightening and difficult that many just decide to carry on with the known devil... You know how you boil a frog, right? Slooooowly...
That's the case with my aunt and her husband. He's just the nicest guy and my aunt is crazy. I mean really crazy. But, he figures too many people would be hurt if they split and the two of them have a lot of money. They're bother @ 70 or almost there. Every time I see him he says "you don't know what I go through". It's really sad. She is really sick, tho. From cancers to lupus to an awful upbringing (her dad, my grandfather, was a violent shyte).

Old 08-11-2011, 06:05 AM

346 posts, read 508,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
well, i can see where this thread will go. It will divide between the embittered, cynical souls who couldn't have a relationship if they tried and those who have actually -- gasp -- made wise decisions when choosing a life partner and keeping that relationship healthy.

The first group will never blame themselves for their incompetence, but will instead lay their relationship failures at the feet of everything else. For that would mean admitting to being wrong.
exactly!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:44 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,459,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
Marriage is obsolete, so this study is irrelevant.
That didn't take long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships