Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:50 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,931,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Honey ... I've TRIED posting accurate photos but the features do not come out clearly on them. Not sure what else I could do with photos.
What exactly are the problematic features that photos don't capture? I'm intrigued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 09:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
I have done online dating, but I hope that my daughter just meets someone nice at school. My sons won't do online dating, they think it is nothing but "fat chicks and psychos." My son has done it, and said that all the women he met were weird. He prefers to just meet women thru friends, or at this neighborhood bar he goes to..where lots of people hang out.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:55 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
What exactly are the problematic features that photos don't capture? I'm intrigued.
I'm sure you are intrigued, Imcurious

Old 08-14-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anberlin View Post
Owe. I gave you props for doing online dating. I'm too scared to take the step.
Well ... I have to tell you that it has been a frustrating encounter and I don't think you are missing out on much, except superficial online guys who expect you to be a model but aren't so hot looking themselves.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:00 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,212,296 times
Quote:
Well ... When you are searching for a match online, you tend to quickly screen out more folks without giving them a chance versus real life dating where you are more likely to give someone a chance despite the fact that they do not fit your "ideal".

I will just look into volunteering as I have some additional free time that I did not have before and through shared interests, I may meet someone that way. Just need to find new ways of getting out there. I guess with my unusual facial features, I may have to develop a friendship then allow it to progress into something more. I dunno if a guy will be attracted off the bat ...
I get that online dating isn't for everyone and never will be but I just think it is odd to think that people would not make attractive/unattractive judgments in person. Someone who is not superficial would not become so once she/he joins a website.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
I get that online dating isn't for everyone and never will be but I just think it is odd to think that people would not make attractive/unattractive judgments in person. Someone who is not superficial would not become so once she/he joins a website.
Oh ... Don't get me wrong ... There are superficial people in real life as well BUT here's the difference...

When you are online, you are screening folks out more rapidly because you have lots of others to choose from whereas in real life, you may be more likely to give someone a chance even if they have black hair and you prefer blondes or if they are short when you prefer a taller female. In online dating, you set this criteria up and would be more likely to write someone off for any trivial reason.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:14 PM

483 posts, read 1,560,038 times
Oh please! You're complaining about those guys being superficial but I bet all those guys are complaining about how you wasted their time by mis-advertising yourself. And the fact you've done this repeatedly tells me you don't respect other people's time. You get no sympathy from me.

Why do you say it's other people's fault you don't meet their expectations? Date in your league and this won't be a problem anymore

Old 08-14-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
Oh please! You're complaining about those guys being superficial but I bet all those guys are complaining about how you wasted their time by mis-advertising yourself. And the fact you've done this repeatedly tells me you don't respect other people's time. You get no sympathy from me.

Why do you say it's other people's fault you don't meet their expectations? Date in your league and this won't be a problem anymore
What does "date in your league" supposed to mean? You know NOTHING about me and come on here making these assumptions about me misrepresenting myself! I do the best that I can to represent myself properly but STILL superficial guys (and I bet you are one too) still get turned off!

Old 08-15-2011, 12:17 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Don't waste your time with online dating. It's a virtual bar!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:54 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,461,442 times
Quote:
Oh ... Don't get me wrong ... There are superficial people in real life as well BUT here's the difference...

When you are online, you are screening folks out more rapidly because you have lots of others to choose from whereas in real life, you may be more likely to give someone a chance even if they have black hair and you prefer blondes or if they are short when you prefer a taller female. In online dating, you set this criteria up and would be more likely to write someone off for any trivial reason.
It seems like this is precisely what happens with online "screening" and I've seen it firsthand. Was doing a plumbing repair over at a friend of a friend's house as a favor, and while I was working in the adjoining bathroom, it was clear this middle-aged gal was "assessing" guys at an online dating site, and with her 20-something daughter! Wasn't difficult to hear both their comments on various guys ("oh, he looks too much like a mama's boy, eww, he's too fat...", etc.). And perhaps there are a lot of guys who approach it in the same way, but in any case I don't think folks are usually quite as "critical", "superficial" or "comparative" when meeting folks IRL.... where these are all real people, not shopping on eBay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships