Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:06 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDavis View Post
Not to be offensive but don't be ridicilous. Try to go about 25 years since you're a teen dateless and sexless like me. It's not impossible.

Find ways to keep busy and don't envy your friends because their marriages won't always be a bed of roses.
yeah but you did that to yourself bro, and then you wanted to take the easy way out and pay for sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 08:18 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,412,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm sorry, Mir... I'm really sorry for your generation in general.

What I do is probably not helpful... As you know, I like walking with my Johnnie. I'd curl up with a good book or a movie or hang out here with our cool crowd. It's really the lifestyle here that's killing me. Had it been a normal country and a normal city where you actually meet people every place you go, I wouldn't have had any problem as I'm not shy and I'm responsive to people. If I really want to find somebody, I'll have to go the online route. There's simply no other way here. At least that's the way I see it in my age bracket and also because I don't enjoy going to restaurants and bars because of being a smoker. But even if it weren't for that, these are still places you go to with people you already know. The chances of meeting anybody in a restaurant are slim to none (well, to me there are hardly any restaurants here except for the very fancy ones; they're just plain eateries); in bars the chances are high, but most of those people you likely don't want to meet to begin with...

Also, as I've said before, I've had more than my fair share of relationship crapola and I can just hang it up. You can't, though. At least that's not what a normal young girl should do. Perhaps you should give the dating sites a shot...
ya you know me, I'm just as friendly. I have a TON of friends and always have things on my social agenda, but ya, its still hard to meet people. Everywhere I go, everyone is coupled up, and so are all their friends..its lame.

I did just take the plunge to online dating . its nevewracking. already met one guy that repulsed the heck out of me (he was a TERRIBLE kisser, I had no idea they existed). so I'm just not sure about it right now. we'll see. I already know I'll have to go through a lot of b.s. in order to find someone but its a step.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I did just take the plunge to online dating . its nevewracking. already met one guy that repulsed the heck out of me (he was a TERRIBLE kisser, I had no idea they existed). so I'm just not sure about it right now. we'll see. I already know I'll have to go through a lot of b.s. in order to find someone but its a step.
Well, the sample is pretty small!

There's something else I don't get, though... You say you want to move after you graduate. What's the point of a serious relationship then...? How many more years do you think you'll be in town?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Well, the sample is pretty small!

There's something else I don't get, though... You say you want to move after you graduate. What's the point of a serious relationship then...? How many more years do you think you'll be in town?
well I'm gonna be here a while so I figure if I am even lucky enough to meet anyone, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. who knows if I'll even get to leave here. its a matter of how my life plays out at this point.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:27 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
well I'm gonna be here a while so I figure if I am even lucky enough to meet anyone, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. who knows if I'll even get to leave here. its a matter of how my life plays out at this point.
Well, yeah... it's not like you have to put your life on hold until then... I just didn't know how much time we're talking about.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Well, yeah... it's not like you have to put your life on hold until then... I just didn't know how much time we're talking about.

haha ya, its really hard to tell how much longer I'll be stuck here for so that's why I'm putting myself out there.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:38 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,108 times
What bothers me about seeing my friends and acquaintances starting to enter the engagement/marrying phase is that the (female) ones that do are disproportionately the objectively better ones: they are on the whole smarter, better looking, the kind of person who is more likely to treat a significant other better, etc. than the general population.

My main worry is not so much being forever alone, but rather that by the time I can date at my 'natural' level again (my career was knocked for a bit of the detour by the recession + several years were lost spent in a failed relationship followed by a long emotional recovery), the dating pool will be much weaker if I want to continue mainly seeing women my own age, and downright anemic if I'm single into my thirties.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
What bothers me about seeing my friends and acquaintances starting to enter the engagement/marrying phase is that the (female) ones that do are disproportionately the objectively better ones: they are on the whole smarter, better looking, the kind of person who is more likely to treat a significant other better, etc. than the general population.

My main worry is not so much being forever alone, but rather that by the time I can date at my 'natural' level again (my career was knocked for a bit of the detour by the recession + several years were lost spent in a failed relationship followed by a long emotional recovery), the dating pool will be much weaker if I want to continue mainly seeing women my own age, and downright anemic if I'm single into my thirties.
the irony is that I have a lot of friends who are not very attractive and find the greatest guys in the world. Sometimes its not even my friends, I just see it around..and sometimes these women are not only not attractive (the ones I know that are NOT my friends), but they also have awful personalities. Meanwhile I meat people who don't understand why I'm single..its bizarre, lol.

anyways, people say women in their 30's are desperate...men in their 30's are getting really really desperate..and its actually sometimes really scary how pushy they get. But the funny thing is, these guys dn't realize how many single women there are out there, their age!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:05 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,108 times
Quote:
the irony is that I have a lot of friends who are not very attractive and find the greatest guys in the world. Sometimes its not even my friends, I just see it around..and sometimes these women are not only not attractive (the ones I know that are NOT my friends), but they also have awful personalities. Meanwhile I meat people who don't understand why I'm single..its bizarre, lol.

anyways, people say women in their 30's are desperate...men in their 30's are getting really really desperate..and its actually sometimes really scary how pushy they get. But the funny thing is, these guys dn't realize how many single women there are out there, their age!
The social circles I tend to move in are highly atypical (absolutely dominated by athletic, relatively sociable nerds) and my experience may not be, and probably isn't, typical.

edit: in fact, I'm sure if you slice the population up into different social and demographic chunks the relative impact of aging on the dating market probably changes drastically.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:19 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
Get a dog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships