Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 11:07 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,388,478 times

Advertisements

Observe his face and his mannerism when the check comes. Is he quickly getting out his own wallet or is he stalling and cautiously looking at you? His behavior should give you a clue. Overall, my opinion that he should pay and not even expect you to pitch in. It's the first date and he asked you out. No brainer to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 11:13 AM

31,081 posts, read 22,101,630 times
As a man I always pay. There are exceptions: He's a student, he's poor, etc. Like some of the others say: bring enough to pay and offer to split it, but I wouldn't expect it unless he's a penny pincher!

And GOOD luck and have fun on your date

Old 09-02-2011, 11:33 AM

133 posts, read 330,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
If you're having a good time, ask if you can take him for a drink, coffee, tea, ice cream or whatever afterwards if he says that he's got the meal.
I agree with this 100%, and I'm a guy in my early 40's, if that helps. If you're both having a good time, and you take him for a drink/coffee/ice cream, it shows him you're definitely interested and want to continue the date, or even plan a follow-up date.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:35 AM

356 posts, read 830,210 times
Always bring enough to cover (at least) your meal. Usually when I was dating I would always excuse myself to the ladies room when I saw the waitress coming up with the check.

Not to be sneaky, just because I am a firm believer in the man paying (and pulling out chairs, and opening doors, etc). Especially if HE asked YOU.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:40 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,510,208 times
Whoever asks pays. But the person that was asked out should at least make an offer. It shows that you're not mooching and it shows class. If I ask a woman out, I'll obviously pay but her offering shows class and I'll respect her more for it. But if she doesn't offer, I'll be very hesitant to go on a second date.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:55 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,548,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
When the bill comes you can ask him "Can I help you with that?"
Comes across like I'm doubting his ability to pay though?

Thanks to all for your feedback so far. I think I'll just go with majority and let him pay. I won't offer. I'll probably suggest drinks afterwards where I'll pay.

Ugh. What a headache.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTulip18 View Post
Usually when I was dating I would always excuse myself to the ladies room when I saw the waitress coming up with the check.
That's kind of a tacky move, though.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,548,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
And GOOD luck and have fun on your date
Thanks

Old 09-02-2011, 12:37 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,388,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Comes across like I'm doubting his ability to pay though?

Thanks to all for your feedback so far. I think I'll just go with majority and let him pay. I won't offer. I'll probably suggest drinks afterwards where I'll pay.

Ugh. What a headache.
I agree. I would probably have just as much of a headache if I was dating again. Dating rules are unclear in American culture, especially when it comes to paying on dates. This had been discussed a lot on these forums.

Either way, good luck with your date.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:42 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
I think offering to help pay sounds like a good bet. Makes you seem willing to cover your share and not just trying to "freeload" and gives him the opportunity to respectfully decline and cover the bill for you. You can always treat him later.

When my fiancee and I go out, I still typically cover the bill. She may treat occasionally, especially when it is her idea. She usually repays me in other ways, such as cooking for me now and then, etc. Of course, we are far beyond the 1st date.

Come to think of it, I think on our first date we met for coffee, and bought our own drinks. I arrived first and bought my own. Offered to get her something when she arrived but she insisted to go up and get her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships