Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:42 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,191,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I was browsing OKCupid profiles and came across this profile.. says she is really intelligent and then the self summary reads "I am a women who likes..."

Well, great! Another woman who has an ego extending towards the universe just because she is a bit attractive but has a grasp of English equivalent to a 4 year old

I am doomed if I continue trying this online dating thing
No, you are not doomed. You can write on your profile...I am a man who loves to follow rules, especially righting rules, because then I am always write.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 07:43 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's fine.

None is or None are?
"None has been both singular and plural since Old English and still is. [. . .] If in context it seems like a singular to you, use a singular verb; if it seems like a plural, use a plural verb. Both are acceptable beyond serious criticism" (Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage).

Frequently Asked Questions | Dr. Grammar
Again...well blow my skirt up! I have never heard of "none" being acceptable as a plural (as in "none are"). Not from an actual teacher, anyway. Interesting, and of course I trust M-W. I will continue to use "none is." Mentally, I always hear "not one" in there and saying "not one are" would eff with my head.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Good grammar and spelling shouldn't be expected of writers or professors exclusively. It's basic, common knowledge that's taught to us in Elementary and Middle school. I don't know why people decide to butcher it the way they do. It makes me cringe.
I'm not THAT picky, but glaring ignorance like "A womEn," "your" instead of "you're," etc., particularly coming from native speakers, is just disgusting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
No, you are not doomed. You can write on your profile...I am a man who loves to follow rules, especially righting rules, because then I am always write.
Actually, that would make me giggle...and would probably encourage me to answer the ad! Awesome.

946 posts, read 2,918,857 times
I love how this is turning into a grammar and spelling course.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
I'm not THAT picky, but glaring ignorance like "A womEn," "your" instead of "you're," etc., particularly coming from native speakers, is just disgusting...
It's not disgusting. It's an inability. I took 13 years of math all told. I am horrible at math. HORRIBLE. ALL math. Except Geometry...and that's because there are pictures and I can literally see what I'm working with numerically.

My husband, who is both an English and math genius (literal genius, I'm talkin' ), failed two years of life sciences. They did not speak to him. He studied. He read. He tried to relate it all to something he might understand. He couldn't do it. His brain did not work that way. He isn't disgusting and he is extremely well-spoken.

I don't consider myself "disgusting" for having an area of the brain that does not function up to everyone's standards. I don't think people who are bad spellers should be considered "disgusting" either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Again...well blow my skirt up! I have never heard of "none" being acceptable as a plural. Not from an actual teacher, anyway. Interesting, and of course I trust M-W.
Well, would you use "none is" here?

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

None are more hopelessly enslaved... at BrainyQuote

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I was browsing OKCupid profiles and came across this profile.. says she is really intelligent and then the self summary reads "I am a women who likes..."

Well, great! Another woman who has an ego extending towards the universe just because she is a bit attractive but has a grasp of English equivalent to a 4 year old

I am doomed if I continue trying this online dating thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
If that's the worst thing you have to "deal with", I can't honestly say that I sympathize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Looks like a simple typo. (You forgot some punctuation yourself, but I wouldn't judge you for it)

But, obviously something like this is a complete deal breaker, so just move along.
I usually don't care about grammar and spelling, but the whole "a women" thing has got to go. It's not a typo, it's something else. The more I read it on this forum the more I hate it.

Quote:
Maybe she got confused after reading too many men's ads stating they look for "A womEn"! This particular number makes me SICK! I'll venture to estimate that more than 50% of men write this!

I've noticed this confusion myself. After reading something wrong for the umpteenth time, eventually I start questioning myself what was correct!
It's so annoying. Don't folk sound out words while they read/type? I do, and woman does not sound like women. They're two different words. I get when folk confuse affect with effect, or even loose with lose (tho that's pretty bad), but damn with the a women. It deserves a wet sock slap.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't think people who are bad spellers should be considered "disgusting" either.
Sorry, but IMHO, even if you slept in school half of the time, you still should know things like that. It's no different than saying 2+2=5.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Well, would you use "none is" here?

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

None are more hopelessly enslaved... at BrainyQuote
No, because you've got the second object as a plural too, so either of any example in that "none" is plural.

And far be it from me to pick on Goethe, but...I would have said, "None is more hopelessly enslaved...than he who (or that) falsely believes..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships