Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times

Advertisements

OP, I wouldn't normally suggest this, but depending on your location, there are many fine young gentlemen on this board that would actually treat you quite well, and be appreciative of you.

Not that C-D is a dating service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 09:32 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Mehhh...Just give it some time. You're young!

You also may have been saturating yourself with the dreaded desperation vibe.
The desperation vibe is ALWAYS (without exception) off putting- regardless of how great looking an individual is.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:20 AM

864 posts, read 1,454,966 times
No, I don't think I'm sending off a desperation vibe (whatever that is). I've seen peers when I was in HS act "desperate"...fawning over guys, texting them, calling them...nope, not me. I'm very old school...a guy needs to make the moves, not me. I am quiet/shy...I think that has a lot to do with it.

As for the recommendation to start drinking...no thanks, I'll pass. I'm not even of legal drinking age...and I'm not a lawbreaker. And partying until the wee hours...who has the time? The only parties I even hear about are those were the kids are talking non-stop about drinking and getting lucky...that's not me. I also don't have a lot of time...I'm pulling a 4.0, and plan to keep it that way, lol. It's all I can do to keep up with school and personal obligations. The more I type, the more I think I see the problem...I don't have time, haha. Then again, for the right guy, I'd make time.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:26 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,661 times
You sound/look like a winner. Just relax- and find some healthy social activities where you can meet the right people. Learn how to laugh and enjoy yourself (not that you don't now). Find a group activity that is something you're interested in- don't go with the intent of "finding someone". Give it time. 'Totally agree with the other comments, 18 is no time to panic.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:42 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
join a group that practices a hobby you enjoy, build some relationships, find common ground....

or find someone in school, maybe a study buddy.... common interests

Old 10-07-2011, 08:16 AM

845 posts, read 1,349,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
No, I don't think I'm sending off a desperation vibe (whatever that is). I've seen peers when I was in HS act "desperate"...fawning over guys, texting them, calling them...nope, not me. I'm very old school...a guy needs to make the moves, not me. I am quiet/shy...I think that has a lot to do with it.

As for the recommendation to start drinking...no thanks, I'll pass. I'm not even of legal drinking age...and I'm not a lawbreaker. And partying until the wee hours...who has the time? The only parties I even hear about are those were the kids are talking non-stop about drinking and getting lucky...that's not me. I also don't have a lot of time...I'm pulling a 4.0, and plan to keep it that way, lol. It's all I can do to keep up with school and personal obligations. The more I type, the more I think I see the problem...I don't have time, haha. Then again, for the right guy, I'd make time.
Well, it seems like your priorities are set. However, you have loads of time.

This was my sister, for a time. She was going to study abroad and go to Japan for a year. We were talking about it at home for a while. It was new years eve. I already had two to three beers in me, plus a shot. She just looked disgusted about drinking. I told her that you can still be responsible for your actions, school and work, but you can unwind a little, too.

While you're mentality isn't bad, people, even some men, can read it like it was stamped across your face. Things are changing around the world, too. Women are pursuing men, where it was the opposite earlier on. Have some fun, every now and then. You never know, you might even start enjoying it.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:06 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Quote:

Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't sound like a lot of fun for a college chick.

There is more to college than graduating with a 4.0. Depending on what field you are in, a 4.0 can potentially turn OFF more employers than it turns on. Business is more about forging relationships than it is about book smarts, and a 4.0 can indicate you spent your college years with your nose buried in a book instead of out meeting people.

In my opinion, a 3.4 is the perfect college GPA. No employer will turn you down for being too dumb, and you can get out and have a little fun while you're young. You do NOT want to be 30 and look back on college with the realization that you didn't make the most of what should be your best four years ever.

You don't have to be what you consider a "party girl," but you DO need to be social if you want to score in the dating game.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:11 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Quote:
As for the recommendation to start drinking...no thanks, I'll pass. I'm not even of legal drinking age...and I'm not a lawbreaker.
Regarding this statement in particular... are you serious?!? Lighten up. Have you ever driven 5mph (or even 1mph) over the speed limit? How about a rolling right turn through a stop sign when there is no traffic around? Then yes, you are a lawbreaker, just like everyone else.

I knew chicks in college who made statements like yours when they saw someone with a beer in hand, and NONE of them had very many friends OR dates.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:16 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
You do NOT want to be 30 and look back on college with the realization that you didn't make the most of what should be your best four years ever.
Meh. It's fine to have fun in college, but it shouldn't be the "best years ever". That's sad. There's nothing worse than a 30-year-old overripe frat boy/party girl who hasn't grown up and is trying to relive their glory years every weekend.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 10-07-2011 at 09:35 AM..

Old 10-07-2011, 09:18 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,096 times
You are only 18. You have plenty of time. Especially, if you don't really want someone. Dating could be trouble. Focus on your academics. But keep an open mind and be open to possibilities. Your time will come.

Maybe the people around you are just not for you. Maybe someone you need is somewhere else. And when you go to "somewhere else", you will meet him.

Bad dating could bring heartaches and that will be in the way of studying.

I am sure you will know the "how to" even without practice. I think it comes natural to normal people (those without special social anxiety)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships