Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:43 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,462 times

Advertisements

What is this supposed to mean?
I've never heard of the term "passive agressive" in any other context than this forum board.
I mean if you're passive, you are not agressive, and if you're agressive you're definatly not being passive.

Yet on this forum anyone who asks any question that conserns them selves as an individual winds up labeled "passive agressive".

And on forums on the same topic in my own language I find no reasonable counterpart/translation for it either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 09:44 AM

380 posts, read 795,830 times
Passive–aggressive behavior, a personality trait, is passive, sometimes obstructionist resistance to following through with expectations in interpersonal or occupational situations. It is a personality trait marked by a pervasive pattern of negative attitudes and passive, usually disavowed, resistance in interpersonal or occupational situations.
It can manifest itself as learned helplessness, procrastination, stubbornness, resentment, sullenness, or deliberate/repeated failure to accomplish requested tasks for which one is (often explicitly) responsible.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
I've never heard of the term "passive agressive" in any other context than this forum board.
I mean if you're passive, you are not agressive, and if you're agressive you're definatly not being passive.

Yet on this forum anyone who asks any question that conserns them selves as an individual winds up labeled "passive agressive".

And on forums in my own language I find no reasonable counterpart for it either...
I myself had never heard the term till I joined this forum.

I looked up the term, and I've come to the conclusion that there can't anybody in this world that isn't passive aggressive in some way.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punky86 View Post
Passive–aggressive behavior, a personality trait, is passive, sometimes obstructionist resistance to following through with expectations in interpersonal or occupational situations. It is a personality trait marked by a pervasive pattern of negative attitudes and passive, usually disavowed, resistance in interpersonal or occupational situations.
It can manifest itself as learned helplessness, procrastination, stubbornness, resentment, sullenness, or deliberate/repeated failure to accomplish requested tasks for which one is (often explicitly) responsible.
For instance, someone who's passive aggressive might, rather than communicate intelligibly, slam things around and/or make angry or hostile comments about a situation.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Examples of passive aggressive behavior from my own life:

When my roommates would leave their dirty dishes in the sink for days and days at a time - I would sprinkle the dishes with cinnamon so that they wouldn't smell. This was passive aggressive on my part. I sprinkled the cinnamon on the dishes - so obviously I wanted them to do the dishes but I didn't confront my roommates about it directly. I admit this was the cowards way out - but I didn't want to get into a fight with my roommates and I thought this way they would get the message with me sounding like a nag.

When I was dating my ex - and he promised that he'd write to me when we were apart but he never did. I don't think he planned on writing to me but he felt that it was easier to say that he was going to and just not do it instead of telling me that he wouldn't write. That is passive aggressive. When my husband and I were apart - he straight up told me he wasn't going to write.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:52 AM

380 posts, read 795,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
I myself had never heard the term till I joined this forum.

I looked up the term, and I've come to the conclusion that there can't anybody in this world that isn't passive aggressive in some way.
Well some people are just passive and some people are just agressive. Most people fall somewhere in-between making them passive agressive.

Last edited by punky86; 10-27-2011 at 10:00 AM..

Old 10-27-2011, 09:59 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Well some people are just passive and some people are just agressive. Most people fall somewher in-between making them passive agressive.
I know a few people who don't know how to NOT tell it like it is, they're very assertive, wouldn't know how to go about being passive-aggressive. I sometimes think most people prefer others to be passive-aggressive, judging by the reactions these assertive people often get.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:03 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,660 times
Quote:
Well some people are just passive and some people are just agressive. Most people fall somewher in-between making them passive agressive.
What perplexes me is seeing people frequently demonize others for being passive aggressive.

I came across many "I hate passive-agressive people" comments, and I had come to perceive it as some super effed up trait. I eventually looked it up and I was like, "That's all it is?!"

Old 10-27-2011, 10:05 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post

And on forums on the same topic in my own language I find no reasonable counterpart/translation for it either...
Read a book? It's a typical term. Google it.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
What perplexes me is seeing people frequently demonize others for being passive aggressive.

I came across many "I hate passive-agressive people" comments, and I had come to perceive it as some super effed up trait. I eventually looked it up and I was like, "That's all it is?!"
I can't say I 'hate' over it but it is one of the least attractive traits a person can have. My ex husband was p/a. Very unattractive and whimpy looking, esp on a guy. On a woman, it makes us look kind of bordering on psycho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships