Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,406,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
This is so true. I started a thread awhile ago:

WHY does it seem that women are less open to interracial dating?

Most argued that women are actually MORE open to IR dating, but I suppose I should have specified WHITE women. Women of other races often think that dating a white man is 'dating up', go figure...Whereas I have found white men don't often thinking of dating outside their race as 'dating down', although marriage might be a different matter.

Lots of people will probably say race shouldn't be a problem blah blah...well they are probably 'white', because very often being of another race is a big liability and restricts you alot in the dating world.
I would argue in my case that it is not about "dating up" or "marrying up". My parents (especially my mom) do not support me marrying outside of my ethnicity, but they will have to accept it if I do.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:46 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,155,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
I would argue in my case that it is not about "dating up" or "marrying up". My parents (especially my mom) do not support me marrying outside of my ethnicity, but they will have to accept it if I do.
It's not always a conscious thing. My sisters are probably an example. They have only dated white men and when I've asked them they seem reluctant to date an Asian (well one sister is already settled anyway). I think our preferences have been moulded such to prefer the typical Caucasoid ideal of beauty.

Growing up I was always attracted to 'white' women because of the environment I grew up in. I definitely find many Asian and other women attractive, it depends more on the individual, but one thing I have to admit is the ones I find attractive do not have strongly Asiatic features (I myself don't either, not that I look down on that). Because of acculturalisation, I don't find naturally find features that deviate from the standard norm of beauty as appealing: i.e. very dark skin (I definitely find moderately dark skin attractive), very small eyes, a flat nose, too 'big' in certain areas. White women who happen to have these features (aside from the dark skin of course) are no different. That might make me a bit picky, but it's not something strictly based on race.

But yes, I know what you mean. You might not be like that at all. Many families are still like that.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,133,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's not always a conscious thing. My sisters are probably an example. They have only dated white men and when I've asked them they seem reluctant to date an Asian (well one sister is already settled anyway). I think our preferences have been moulded such to prefer the typical Caucasoid ideal of beauty.

Growing up I was always attracted to 'white' women because of the environment I grew up in. I definitely find many Asian and other women attractive, it depends more on the individual, but one thing I have to admit is the ones I find attractive do not have strongly Asiatic features (I myself don't either, not that I look down on that). Because of acculturalisation, I don't find naturally find features that deviate from the standard norm of beauty as appealing: i.e. very dark skin (I definitely find moderately dark skin attractive), very small eyes, a flat nose, too 'big' in certain areas. White women who happen to have these features (aside from the dark skin of course) are no different. That might make me a bit picky, but it's not something strictly based on race.

But yes, I know what you mean. You might not be like that at all. Many families are still like that.
My sister has only dated non-Asian guys as well. I think in her case, it's mostly due to compatibility more than looks.

Also, I don't think it's assimilation. The standard of beauty in Asia is much the same. The same people that are attractive over there are attractive over here.

Hey. If I thought there was a place where I could go and be Tom Cruise, I'd be there tomorrow.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:55 PM

541 posts, read 942,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beilua Rose View Post
I don't know what to do.

He loves blondes, more specifically Caucasians with blonde hair. If it's not blonde hair, it's Brunettes, "Red Heads" and any other 'safe', non-extreme color.

He is no different than the majority of the other Caucasian/white males. Although we have had our rough patches, he seems generally interested in me. I see him staring at me and one time when I caught him staring he turned away, although not fast enough for me to not see his face-reddening with embarrassment.

Yet, it seems as though if there were to be a white woman with the same interests, he'd go for her as opposed to me who is not white.I understand, it's just preferences.. Yet, sometimes I see him staring at me and it seems as though he is thinking about the racial differences we both ironically share..

I can't discuss this any further, as I am becoming somewhat upset. Hopefully you have the capability to know what else I was going to write in here and give me advice..

I am going through the same thing. Just ask him. It wont hurt. My guy is the same way; I dont think he ever dated outside his race. If he does it would probably be a Latina or Mexican. : ( I dont think he would ever consider going out with Asian women. : ( Whatever though. The day I met him in jr high; that same day someone we both knew introduced us. He saw something in me. I dont know know what though. It might have been a joke then. But in all high school, I liked him alot and my confidence was better and didnt really give a rats ass that much. And all through high school we had so many moments that convinced ME he was interested in me. He even I think I was the reason he went to the same university as me. I dont know he didnt go to a party school with his friends.... Years pass after high school and I still think about him. Just recently though; I just asked him.... I didnt get the response I wanted but at least I got my closure : (

Last edited by Sarahpc122927; 10-27-2011 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: .

Old 10-28-2011, 04:54 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,155,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
My sister has only dated non-Asian guys as well. I think in her case, it's mostly due to compatibility more than looks.

Also, I don't think it's assimilation. The standard of beauty in Asia is much the same. The same people that are attractive over there are attractive over here.

Hey. If I thought there was a place where I could go and be Tom Cruise, I'd be there tomorrow.
Not sure EXACTLY what you mean by that last statement, but I'm not sure if I'd want to be a short Scientologist who enjoys jumping on couches . But if by that you mean you want to be white, I respect your honestly. I used to wish I was white too (and at times, rather pathetically, the feeling still returns).

As for it being about 'compatibility' I would have to disagree. Do you live in America? There are plenty of Asian Americans who are culturally no different to anyone else. I don't mean to sound presumptuous but your sister is probably basing it on looks. Or maybe she only knows Asians who aren't really culturally very Western.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 AM

525 posts, read 901,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
White men prefer to date within their own race, as it should be. This is why I don't like interracial dating. There will always be an awkward difference and culture clash. Both of the daters parents turn out to be racist and disapprove. The divorce rate between interracial couples is far higher than that of same race couples. For the sake of your future, just dump him and date a good man in your own race.

IT creates problems, all black men should be avaliable for me to date, not going after "trophy" white women. And white women should have white men available for them to date and marry, not going after asian women and so on and so forth.

You and your future kids will thank me later.
you are an ignorant person. I kept out the dirty words so this doesn't get moderated.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:41 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,742,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
you are an ignorant person. I kept out the dirty words so this doesn't get moderated.
Well it's true.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:43 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,742,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityO View Post
How would you know if you've never dated one?

I am having fun reading the early pages of this topic. Fun.
I have dated a white guy, it was weird and awkward. A lot of white men are obsessed with a woman's weight, reason why white women are going with black men. And this means less chances for a black woman to marry, since black women are apparently at the bottom of the dating totem pole.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'm with Treasured Jewel.

Interracial dating is doomed to fail. Too much stuff at stake.

It didn't work for me and it won't work, ever.

I'll fool around for as much as I can and when the time is right, arranged marriage for the Antlered dude

Of course, I may have to hide my dating past or I'll never get a bride

People should not marry across races. Please protect your ancestry and progeny LMAO
you are also very ignorant.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 AM

It's still hard for me to understand all the racism from certain people on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships