Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 01:40 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And then there are those who dislike, even hate children. I also don't understand how you can dislike children, it's basically a contradiction. EVERYONE was a child at one point in their lives.
Completely errant analogy. Everyone was also a Middle Schooler during their lives. Thus everyone was 12 or 13 years old once upon a time in their lives. That means everyone must adore and revere all 12 year old brats? And if they don't, they are emotionally immature, stunted and selfish?

Um... no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 01:46 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,437 times
The better question to ask yourself is "why have kids?"

For me - I have had no desire, and think the world we are living in is getting worse and worse. Kids have no future anymore. Why would I really want to bring kids into a world where they are lucky to just survive. Borderline abuse is you ask me.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:47 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I don't understand how someone COULDN'T want kids. The adults I know who want to remain childless, I've noticed tend to be more arrogant and selfish. Like they think they're better than children or parents. They also seem more mentally immature as well. There are those who seem to think that having a high powered career and fancy things is more important than having a family. As a saying I've heard goes, "you can replace a career but you can't replace a family." And then there are those who dislike, even hate children. I also don't understand how you can dislike children, it's basically a contradiction. EVERYONE was a child at one point in their lives. You must a really angry and ill person to dislike children.

Yes, you deal with the early years of exhaustion from waking up in the middle of the night and changing diapers but the rewards that come from the fulfillment of parenthood far surpasses the cons of parenthood. It was also in God's designs for us to have children.
I don't get along well with children. I don't understand them, I can't relate to them, I can't even talk to them. Are you suggesting that I should still have children of my own? I can't help it if me and children don't match up very well. Although it does make me wonder, if God designed me to have children why would he make me so incompatible with them?

Old 02-10-2012, 01:50 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Smile Simple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBodyUK View Post
Hi, some people don't want to have kids, ever...anybody like to say why exactly? e.g Why don't you want kids, who do you expect to look after you when you get old etc..

I don't have any kids myself, but I'd like to one day, and I don't feel that my life would be complete without them.

I'm just curious, that's all. It can be a bit of taboo question so I thought I'd ask it on here...
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....not to mention how ungrateful they are.
Koale

Old 02-10-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$....not to mention how ungrateful they are.
Koale
Very!!! I have a step-son, and a bunch of nieces and nephews the same age. They don't comprend the word "thank you", and they act like they deserve everything. I can teach thank you - but can tell they are just going through the motions.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I don't get along well with children. I don't understand them, I can't relate to them, I can't even talk to them. Are you suggesting that I should still have children of my own? I can't help it if me and children don't match up very well. Although it does make me wonder, if God designed me to have children why would he make me so incompatible with them?
It's a myth you should be friendly with your children - pre-depression area, parents filfilled a persons needs, and rarely were they "buddy buddy" and focused so much on "understanding them, talking to them, etc." Seems that generation raised better people, so don't get down about based on 21st century thinking that doesn't work anyway.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:05 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
I have a list of about 85 reasons not to have children, but the biggest reason at the core is because they require a level of selflessness I do not wish to give. I do not believe the benefit is worth the cost for me.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:07 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,214,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBodyUK View Post
Hi, some people don't want to have kids, ever...anybody like to say why exactly? e.g Why don't you want kids, who do you expect to look after you when you get old etc..
I don't want the burden of taking care of children. I'm not sure if I'd be a good father and I'm probably too selfish for it at this point.

I wouldn't expect my hypothetical children to take care of me when I'm older. If I needed someone to take care of me, I would rather be in assisted living. It's not fair to expect kids to take care of their parents. They have their own lives and families to worry about.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:17 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,214,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osimeon00 View Post
You must have been a horrible child.
How do you figure?

Old 02-10-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osimeon00 View Post
I don't want any kids because of the way the world has gone. Or should I say this country? No values, morals, class, or respect. TV is not even safe for kids to view anymore because immorality is being shoved into the face of kids even on the so-called Kid's networks like Nikelodeon. Instead, morality is laughed at and mocked. Safe to say, I won't be bringing any children into this world anytime soon. Unless I move me and my wife to an island. Which isn't such a bad idea.
I agree totally! And my husband, while conservative, allows for much more than I do which I am afraid if we had kids we would always disagree on. If it was up to me, I'd ban cable TV in my house. My husband is preventing me from cancelling, and his reason "occassionally there is a good show or movie on..." Yeah, but is it worth it for that one episode of "how its made" or something more innocent at 11pm at night once a month??? TV is not safe for kids, or adults anymore (warps the mind).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships