Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:21 AM

826 posts, read 1,893,137 times

Advertisements

At least it feels that way sometimes, like today . Sometimes "bad girls", defined as women with no morals, get away with a lot of bad behavior and actually continue to thrive

The other day, I caught an episode of the Real Housewives of Atlanta. For those who don't know about it, it is a reality TV show. There is a character on there, a woman named Kim who began the show openly dating a married man. The man was very wealthy and spoilt her with gifts, money, all that good stuff. She's about 32 and was the mother of 2 kids at the time-not the married man's kids-. Anyway, fastforward to recently, she got engaged and subsequently married to an NFL football player. The dude is younger than her, cute, manly (swoons), seems to love her and is there for her. They also just had a son. To me looking at that, she seems to have gotten what every girl wants despite her past of openly dating a married man and possibly contributing to marital discord in that man's home.

Coming closer to home. I have a relative whom from the time she was a teenager only dated rich and mostly married men. She is a few decades older than me, and is now in her 50s. These men showered her with so many gifts and money, paid for her education, helped her get job opportunities that now she is a millionaire with multiple houses and cars. She never got married but she had kids and seems pretty happy with her situation.

It could just be that I'm feeling down today, but when I look at situations like this, it feels like it doesn't pay to be a good girl i.e. a girl who is moral, works for what she has, is diligent etc. From pop culture where people are rewarded for being bad, to real life, it seems like having no morals is the way to go. Growing up, I saw many women kicked out of their homes by their husbands and replaced by younger, sluttier women. I have seen slutty girls, be the ones most desired by men.

I used to think that Karma would even things out in the end. I was always told that knowingly hurting someone would bring bad things to you. In reality, I don't really see that happening.

Anyway, what do you think? Do you agree?. Do you know any stories of "bad girls" who continue to thrive or eventually suffered repercussions. Let's discuss because I am about ready to chalk my career in the toilet and go learn how to "dance" (Just kidding). But seriously, let's discuss. Is having morals worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 10:31 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
I think you already know the answer to your question, but I'll state the obvious anyway - OF COURSE it's worth it to have morals.

Don't think for a second those people who seem to be "getting away with" so much bad behavior are truly happy people.

At their core they have no peace.

And when you have no peace you can never truly relax.

Don't envy women who on the surface have so much of what you want.

The reality is, they are never going to get what you will eventually have

Old 12-03-2011, 10:35 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Celebrities like to date other celebrities for various reasons.

Also, assuming two women are equally physically attractive, many regular shy guys like loud, obnoxious women better because at the end of the day, they are easier to get to the bedroom quickly. And then before they know it, they end up with child and/or married to them.

But yes, I do think having morals is worth it. You have them for yourself, not for anyone else. You can't control what society or other people think of them or the morals they have either.

Last edited by srjth; 12-03-2011 at 10:43 AM..

Old 12-03-2011, 10:40 AM

530 posts, read 779,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think you already know the answer to your question, but I'll state the obvious anyway - OF COURSE it's worth it to have morals.

Don't think for a second those people who seem to be "getting away with" so much bad behavior are truly happy people.

At their core they have no peace.

And when you have no peace you can never truly relax.

Don't envy women who on the surface have so much of what you want.

The reality is, they are never going to get what you will eventually have
The above statements have not been evaluated by city data
administrators, and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure
or prevent any relationship problem.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:41 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,783,345 times
I think you're watching too much tv.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 AM

494 posts, read 1,609,601 times
I can't tel lif you are envying them because they happened to marry rich guys or you feel like lack of morals means a girl is more attractive to said rich guys....

Either way, I see three flaws in your thinking.

1. Most of the women on Houswives should never be taken seriously as role models. Really, they just shouldn't. That show, like many other reality shows, is successful because the people on there are either really superficial or got major issues that you wouldn't normally see in everyday encounters, except for on a few occasions. So focus on being yourself and not like them.

2. Being rich and being treated like a princess doesn't necessarily mean happiness. W/o love and commitment from the spouse, it's an empty relationship still and the materialism wears off after a while. It's why you tend to see people of high status divorce very quickly more often than not. You can only use materialism in the place of romance for so long.

3. Normal guys for the most part want girls who have morals, so it's definitely worth it to have morals. You just got to learn to seperate the weeds from the flowers.

4. Also, what moon said

Old 12-03-2011, 11:19 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
no it doesn't pay in the long run. guys are mostly interested in girls that will put out and the quicker the better. any other types get passed over pretty quickly.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:22 AM

994 posts, read 1,681,433 times
Morals seem to be a thing of the past. I say we forget about morals and all that *good* stuff and focus on ourselves and ourselves only

Old 12-03-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
I think you're watching too much tv.
I knew I'd get a comment like this. Sigh.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
I can't tel lif you are envying them because they happened to marry rich guys or you feel like lack of morals means a girl is more attractive to said rich guys....

Either way, I see three flaws in your thinking.

1. Most of the women on Houswives should never be taken seriously as role models. Really, they just shouldn't. That show, like many other reality shows, is successful because the people on there are either really superficial or got major issues that you wouldn't normally see in everyday encounters, except for on a few occasions. So focus on being yourself and not like them.

2. Being rich and being treated like a princess doesn't necessarily mean happiness. W/o love and commitment from the spouse, it's an empty relationship still and the materialism wears off after a while. It's why you tend to see people of high status divorce very quickly more often than not. You can only use materialism in the place of romance for so long.

3. Normal guys for the most part want girls who have morals, so it's definitely worth it to have morals. You just got to learn to seperate the weeds from the flowers.

4. Also, what moon said
There is no envy. It is more questioning. Why does it seem like girls who obviously have no morals succeed in life ? and examining that question.

As a girl, you get a lot of advice on how to behave around men. You are told
  • Don't be a *****
  • Don't sleep with a married man
  • Be a girl of principles
  • No decent guy will want a girl that has been passed around
You are warned that if you don't abide by these things, no man will marry you and you'd live bitter and alone.

And then you turn around and see women not only breaking these rules, but being sought after by men and thriving. So were we lied to? Is there a doublestandard? Do men just want whores?

The show was cited just as an example, but as I indicated, I have seen this happen in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships