Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 05:20 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Was taking pictures today in Downtown Columbus and walked up upon a situation today. Apparently a guy went and stabbed four folks in an office building/college. Police ended up shooting the guy but apparently he lived. Here is the story. Something you don't happen upon everyday, thank God.

CPD Officer Shoots Suspect After 4 Stabbed At College | NBC 4i
And there was also a courthouse shooting today in Beaumont, TX ...

Texas Courthouse Shooting: One Dead, Four Injured - ABC News

And people think I'm crazy when I say that society is crumbling ...

Old 03-14-2012, 05:28 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
We are a very violent society that is for sure...When I lived in NYC a neighbor went nuts killed(shot)his mother and his dog and when our neighbor went to see what was going on the whack job shot the poor guy dead!Crazy world!

Old 03-14-2012, 05:42 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
And there was also a courthouse shooting today in Beaumont, TX ...

Texas Courthouse Shooting: One Dead, Four Injured - ABC News

And people think I'm crazy when I say that society is crumbling ...
Meh, it's not that soceity is crumbling, the media coverage is significantly better.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:45 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Meh, it's not that soceity is crumbling, the media coverage is significantly better.
I often wonder about that too, is society breaking down more or faster, or is there just better communication now.

But then again life was simpler in older times, we live in fast fast rush rush deadline deadline driven society now...

So... IDK what the deal is....

Old 03-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I often wonder about that too, is society breaking down more or faster, or is there just better communication now.

But then again life was simpler in older times, we live in fast fast rush rush deadline deadline driven society now...

So... IDK what the deal is....
Definitely.
Even my stupid job has absurd deadlines for projects that have no bearing on income for the company.
My contention is crime grows in proportion to population growth, generally speaking of course.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:14 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
I think the random wacko going nuts hasn't increased...it's the inner city... drugs,guns and breakdown of the family is whats really increased since I was a kid also the little Mayberry towns have been run over by Mary and Marty Methlab... it's a shame!!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:16 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:

This.

I wish CNN would create a separate "Violent Crimes" section for those stories so that I wouldn't have to be subjected to headline after headline of people, especially kids, being shot/kidnapped/murdered in the general news. Kind of like a viewer discretion type of thing for people like me who don't want to read it.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:21 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
No, I will not and cannot subscribe to that theory. A quick search hasn't revealed any easily-grasped historical stats, but just the increase in population alone from our beginnings until now would seem to point to increased crime on a percentage basis - more people=more wackadoos.

Yes, media coverage has increased in both quality and quantity, so there's certainly perception and exposure to be considered. But even considering something as brief as my OWN life-span, I cannot remember so many crimes - so many strange, violent crimes - being committed back in the late '60's - late '70's. There was the occasional mugging and the rare murder, but NOTHING on the order of today's headlines.

Rather, there appeared to be a gradual increase. And no, it wasn't just my perception - I've maintained a fairly constant level of awareness throughout my life when it comes to crime. I suppose it's part of the teaching I do, the self-defense training and my forays into security work.

Jails and prisons are overcrowded. I'm sure there were similar complaints in the past, but I don't think it was anywhere near as bad. I'd love to see stats proving me wrong - or right - but as I mentioned I only did a quick search.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:24 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Rolling Rock beer.

If you have not drank it, you should be.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Rolling Rock beer.

If you have not drank it, you should be.
Been there, done that, wasn't impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.