Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,289,376 times

Advertisements

I've been married once, and I've lived with a boyfriend twice. The marriage was very easy to dissolve, from a legal perspective. The first cohabitation was a bit more difficult, but still no real property and no kids. The current cohabitation may turn into marriage if there's a practical reason for it (the most likely one would be insurance). I've seen enough divorce to not think of marriage as some solid commitment, and it's pretty easy to get out of (child custody and property issues can easily come up between non-married couples). And there are ways to work out most financial issues between non-married couples. So I'm not sure what the point is, either. To me it's just a practical matter. If you have to have some legal bondage in order to force you to work out problems in your relationship, well then you're different from me.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:10 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
That can be achieved without being married. Much less complicated too if the relationship doesn't work out. No nasty court battles, no alimony, no dividing up the assets, nada. Sin mierda.

Cohabitation is the way to go.
Until you hit 7 years and then BAM...you're married in the eyes of the law.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:36 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
Having read several threads, I think I've pretty much gaged the prevailing attitude towards marriage in this forum and I'm going to therefore assume with at least half???....a third???....of the human population

Ok, forget that. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but my bat is in hand.....

What say you as to the point/purpose of marriage? (If it's not due to any "religious conviction.") Based upon the opinions I'm reading it's best a lot of people keep their misery..........to themselves??
To me all it is is a legal contract that protects assets, children, benefits, etc. That's it.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:17 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,057 times
Quote:
Having read several threads, I think I've pretty much gaged the prevailing attitude towards marriage in this forum and I'm going to therefore assume with at least half???....a third???....of the human population

What say you as to the point/purpose of marriage? (If it's not due to any "religious conviction.") Based upon the opinions I'm reading it's best a lot of people keep their misery..........to themselves??
I have been wondering about this myself lately. However...after much thought I have come to the conclusion that marriage is important. There's something to be said for committing to someone. It also gives you a secure place to relax and enjoy life.

But as with life nothing is for certain- it's like this catch 22...you have this safe place to love and explore your love...but also have a place of comfort to let it whither and die from neglect.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:56 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:

Anymore, there isn't much point beyond the legal aspects but it's easier to get married than to draw up contracts covering each other. Also, you can't cover each other on medical insurance if you're not married. And you can't write off a non working spouse as a dependent if you're not married. If you're both working, and both have medical through your employer, it's cheaper to not be married. Dh and I could save $4K/year in taxes if we were not married but his insurance is crappy and expensive so we'd spend it insuring him. I have great insurance and one price covers the whole family so it's not worth it to get divorced for tax purposes. We may when he retires and is on medicaid depending on how much supplemental insurance costs.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:19 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
I've known couples who have spent many long years together and once they got married they stopped caring. I've seen it work the other way as well. I guess it really depends on the people.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:22 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,060 times
Here's the key everyone...before you marry, think very hard on what married life will be like, not about how great the wedding will be. Marriage is [should be] a partnership that helps both of you manuver through life. If you have children, it makes raising them so much easier when two people are discussing the problems that WILL ensue when you have children. When jobs and life are stressful, dealing with them is more manageable when you have a caring partner to share your troubles with. Having someone that you have grown with, shared with, loved and learned with, someone who cares about you above all others is a wonderful feeling and worth the effort that is required to sustain a relationship. You must choose wisely in the first place and make sure you are compatable and that you have the same goals in life.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:53 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Anymore, there isn't much point beyond the legal aspects but it's easier to get married than to draw up contracts covering each other. Also, you can't cover each other on medical insurance if you're not married. .
Cost of drawing up legal documents/contracts = less than a grand (and that's if you hire a professional; you can actually do it yourself). Takes less than an afternoon.
My wife's company absolutely covers my medical insurance. Most couples have their own insurance prior to being married anyway.
We save tons of money also because her salary is not taxed at my rate. That alone is the best tax benefit I can think of.
I agree...not being married is often cheaper.

I don't like legal marriage in this country per se because it puts you under arbitrary rules that other people made. I would rather make my own rules.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:26 AM

526 posts, read 955,425 times
I think the point is making a lifelong commitment to the other person.

I am divorced and although the divorce was not easy, I still believe in marriage and would like to get married again someday. We married very young and I think that was our biggest mistake. Next time around I'd definetely take my time.

In terms of cohabitating, I respect everybody's opinions in the matter but it's not my thing. I won't live with a man unless he had put a ring on it, and we had agree on a wedding date. I live on my own and can take care of myself so to me there's not point in living with someone if marriage is not in the near future.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:42 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Quote:
What say you as to the point/purpose of marriage? (If it's not due to any "religious conviction.")
To give gays something to get excited about...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships