Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 09:20 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I guess some guys will say anything to get laid lol.

Seriously, I don't think I ever expected or asked a woman to pay, especially on the first date. However, the idea that I am obligated, under any and all circumstances to pay from some women, is what causes me to think differently about the matter. If a woman I was dating ever told me this, I would either walk out on the date, or I'd probably make sure that the check is split just to prove a point.
That's pretty much what it boils down. It's sad that some people can't seem to fathom it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:35 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, this post is beside the point. First, it's a total check of roughly $40, not exactly haute cuisine.

As I stated earlier, it's likely the wholesale cheapness of the guy as exhibited by the $1 tip he dropped. Anybody who would chintz a waitress is not somebody you'd ever want to be involved with in any way, shape, or form.
I would never get involved with someone who doesn't tip well. Going dutch - I'm fine with. A bad tipper? No. There is a difference between being frugal and being cheap. Not tipping well is being cheap. It also shows an ungenerous spirit. I'm a generous person and want to be with another generous person.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:40 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I would never get involved with someone who doesn't tip well. Going dutch - I'm fine with. A bad tipper? No. There is a difference between being frugal and being cheap. Not tipping well is being cheap. It also shows an ungenerous spirit. I'm a generous person and want to be with another generous person.
Exactly. I'm amazed at how many people missed this fundamental point and decided to turn the whole question into a gender war. I don't know. Maybe they are lousy tippers themselves.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:42 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Seems like you expect to have it both ways...
Yes, yes I do! And it seems like men now want to have their cake and eat it, too. They don't want to even pay for the date AND they expect to still get "nookie".

I am VERY good to the men in my life, VERY GOOD. I believe in traditional male/female roles in my personal life and that includes the man paying for dates, etc.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:43 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Did the OP ever say how this date came about (who asked whom?) In general, I think it's bad form for a man to tell a woman "I want to take you out to dinner," and then tell her she owes 25 bucks when the check comes. But if it's a first-time meeting from an online dating site, splitting the check makes sense. And, of course, being a bad tipper is a huge red flag.

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I guess some guys will say anything to get laid lol.

Seriously, I don't think I ever expected or asked a woman to pay, especially on the first date. However, the idea that I am obligated, under any and all circumstances to pay from some women, is what causes me to think differently about the matter. If a woman I was dating ever told me this, I would either walk out on the date, or I'd probably make sure that the check is split just to prove a point.

It goes hand in hand with the tipping thing too. I'd consider myself a good to excellent tipper, but if a waiter or waitress demands that I tip good, then I'd probably wouldn't simply based on their attitude.
Agreed. It's really screwy thinking and sounds a bit classless imo. Then again, I'll never understand why any woman wants to adhere to gender roles, but to each their own. And yes ladies, if you demand that men adhere to gender roles, you should as well if you're not a hypocrite.

84 posts, read 57,448 times
It's definitely a deal breaker. I like guys who are chivalrous. Your date seemed very rude. You should have left him with the bill.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:44 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
That's pretty much what it boils down. It's sad that some people can't seem to fathom it.
Absolutely mind blowing how some haven't gotten the understanding that being gracious and humble would get them much further.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Ok, I figured that was what the lol was for.

But honestly speaking, waiters putting crap in my meal isn't really a big concern of mine in the grand scheme of things. If I ever decide to start tipping again in the future ( which is very unlikely, btw ), I'm sure it wouldn't be out of fear of getting poisoned or fed trash or whatever else.

I'm also not of the opinion that people typically get what they usually give. According to laws of life, what would a server who puts crap in meals get? Perhaps mediocre to no tips because we all know life is fair, right?
Obviously, having to serve customers such as yourself.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I hate how other people are so invested in how other people tip. It's just ridiculous and unethical.

If you are generous, you should show that in "your" money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships