Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
People who "don't believe in tipping" are nothing other than cheap. Like it or not, service people's wage is less because of the expectation of tipping. If the service is sub par, then ok. Otherwise people who don't believe in tipping should be people who don't beleive in eating in sit down restaurants.
Many have said this already and I'm okay with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,265,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Its also of questionable intelligence to speak on something you have no knowledge. Where did I say I didn't tip? And your right, I don't care what you people do in your meaningless lifes. I don't care if a person tips a 100 dollars like Denzel Washington or if the person leaves no tip. Its none of my business, I usually have more important things to worry about.
Reverse the situation. Say a woman takes you out on a date and then leaves a lousy tip, or no tip at all. What do you think that says about the woman?

Because if I were a man, it would tell me that one or more of the following:

--she's clueless about how servers are paid (often less than minimum wage)

--she's stingy, and if she's stingy with those who are at her service, she's going to be stingy with other aspects of her life, including her emotions and sex

--she sees servers and others in such positions as "hired help" and sees no problem treating them cheaply because she sees them as "beneath" her.

You can always tell how well people were raised and what kind of heart they have by how they treat people in the service industry, whether it's waitstaff, bellhops, hotel maids, customer service reps, and so on. Yes, they have a job to do, and they are responsible for doing it well. That doesn't mean everyone else gets to be oblivious to their humanity.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:05 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Its also of questionable intelligence to speak on something you have no knowledge. Where did I say I didn't tip? And your right, I don't care what you people do in your meaningless lifes. I don't care if a person tips a 100 dollars like Denzel Washington or if the person leaves no tip. Its none of my business, I usually have more important things to worry about.
i'm not usually a stickler on other people's understanding of simple grammatical structures, but its funny you are insulting someone elses intelligence
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
let me spell it out for all you aholes who don't tip:

tips= To Insure Proper Service.

Thus if you don't tip...I hope you get your food pooped on next time you go out to eat becuse you sure did not insure proper service!

I waitressed for 6 years! Most of that time was a retirement home so I was not allowed to accept tips but in the restaurant..it was worse. I cannot tell you how many times I gave great service to needy tables and they only tipped me 1-5% percent of their bill. SO insulting! I'm broke as a joke but when I go out to eat, I always tip at least 20% and it always irritates me when my friends calculate on their cell phone calculator how specific their tips need to be. I try to tell them at least 2 bucks for every 10 dollars that their meal cost but they still don't get it. irritates the eff out of me!
i dont see anything wrong with pulling out the calculator to determine the 15% tip (maybe even 12 if they didn't think the waiter/service was amazing). at least they recognize that they're supposed to pay for the service and are familiar with socially acceptable amounts to leave. not everyone is going to be generous about it and that is ok. 15% is at least respectful

Old 02-13-2012, 11:06 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,399 times
Sounds like some people need to get new jobs on here, because it sounds as if a lot of this is being taken personally.

I agree with the idea that I am not obligated to tip you what you think I owe you. If I decide to tip well, be gracious and humble enough to accept it. Telling me that I "owe" you a good tip, is a good way not to get one in the first place.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,141 times
Going dutch is normal, but if he expected you to pay the whole thing, that's unacceptable, man or woman.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:14 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
Incredible, that in 2012 with women's "lib' we still have women for god's sake saying crap like "men have roles" in regards to paying for dates.
Yes, and amazingly we still have men talking about booby banks. Life is just one huge mystery, no?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:16 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,986,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
"What comes around goes around" is an old adage that existed long before I was around. Amazing that it's foreign to you.
Doesn't the adage apply to the waiters who get crappy tips?

Quote:
Starving? I'm not sure what you're going on about. Leaving the tip takes care of any worry about not leaving the tip.
Some people said they tip generously because waiters get payed chicken change, so they need the tips to survive. The thing is, I don't think that should be my problem but let's leave it at that, at least for now.

Now, if I cared about people starving, I wouldn't waste my money going to service restaurants. I'd cook at home, and donate the savings to a non-profit org. that helps people who need the money a whole lot more than the waiters.

Being a good tipper isn't necessarily indicative of generosity.

Last edited by Raging-Hetero; 02-13-2012 at 11:37 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 11:17 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,185,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Sounds like some people need to get new jobs on here, because it sounds as if a lot of this is being taken personally.
Folk may just be experiencing empathy as well.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:22 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
People at restaurants are not serving you because they care if you're hungry or if you starve. They only do it for the money. That might be the case with your wife, but hopefully she's bringing you food because she cares about you (unlike everyone else).
Braunwyn, I'm a good tipper when paired (usually spend 3 hours every date on average, refills, more coffee, more snacks etc.,). I have met several people here from CO and CT state boards and others, who can vouch for it.

On my dates, I ask the girl how much I should tip and I put in pretty much what she says and the girls like it. So, nothing personal here.

However, I'm a foodie and I tour restaurants almost once in 48 hours. Tipping depends on my mood. I'm in a good mood, I tip well, I'm in a bad mood, I tip very less, probably a buck on a 10 dollar bill. Let's not forget I am alone in all these instances. Sometimes, I simply walk out coz I don't feel the itch to write a tip down. I do this coz I can, not becoz I'm cheap.

I patronize these restaurants to eat good food, good food for me. I don't give a duck-billed platypus' ar$e of what the waitress or waiter is doing or what hardship she is going through. He/She can however ask me, hey, dude, do you have twenty bucks, I could use it for some groceries, I'll happily give away 40. But if he/she is getting underpaid, then get a new job and quit the pity party. Blame it on the fat guy sitting at the counter. It's not my problem that I have to shoulder the upliftment of the downtrodden, in this case wilful downtroddenness. Life is hard, that's how the cookie crumbles.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:22 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,185,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Doesn't the adage apply to the waiters who get crappy tips?
Sure, they get crap, give crap, wash/repeat ^2.

Quote:
Some people said they tip generously because waiters get payed chicken change, so they need the tips to survive. The thing is, I don't think that should be my problem but let's leave it at that, at least for now.

Now, if I cared about people starving, I wouldn't waste my money going to service restaurant. I'd cook at home, and donate the savings to a non-profit org. that helps people who need the money a whole lot more than the waiters.

Being a good tipper isn't necessarily indicative of generosity.
In my mind it's not about starving or generosity. It is about class. Whether or not that matters will depend on the individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships