Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:14 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times

Advertisements

Not a "generation thing". I'm a Baby Boomer and when I was single (divorced) during the 80's/90's, I seen this a lot then. Actually, my Best Man was pretty much like this when I got married in 2001. He constantly looked for the "hot" looking gals and had the money to do so. He was tall as well, but average looks. As for me, I was average looking and sure didn't have either the money or the looks for a "hottie".

And, "men bashing" isn't just done with the younger generation. We use to have a neighbor (in her early 60's) who was married, but husband lived at their other home/different state, who use to bash men in front of me. After a few times of doing this, I had to tell her (sternly) "quit bashing men, not all men are bad and I'm tired of hearing it........if you have a problem in your marriage, take care of it!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is this a reflection of how things really are? A generational thing?

Particularly that men are mainly attracted to looks, and women are demanding and want a tall, handsome man with money. It seems that many here see these as unchangeable rules. Also I notice quite a bit of male bashing recently...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 07:14 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Default Why is this board filled with so much stereotypical thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is this a reflection of how things really are? A generational thing?

Particularly that men are mainly attracted to looks, and women are demanding and want a tall, handsome man with money. It seems that many here see these as unchangeable rules. Also I notice quite a bit of male bashing recently...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePugx3 View Post
^No kidding.

Seems like one day men are all no good cheaters. The next dayus women are all golddiggers who don't really want to work and as soon as the wedding's over, we stop wanting sex and gain 50lbs overnight.
There are reasons things are called stereotypes.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
I notice many here treat those stereotypes as guidelines.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:17 AM

663 posts, read 1,081,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
What would that be?

People who stereotype don't have the intellect nor the drive to find someone who doesn't fall into a so-called stereotype. Most people who end up with an overweight battle-ax who won't work or a shallow, adulterous man....most the time.....saw it coming but chose to ignore all the red flags.

"I knew from the start we shouldn't have gotten married but I loved her/him (ie. Just horny) and thought they would change." "I thought this time it'd be different." "He said he felt different with me." "I didn't really think she'd quit working." "I figured once we were married he'd settle down." "He cheated on his first wife but things are different now, he said they were." "She could always drink more than everyone else but I never thought it could get this bad. She said she could handle it." "I thought once we had one kid (the oops kid) he would change his mind about not wanting any." "I thought he'd get rid of the X-Box once we got married and he realized it's juvenile." Never mind the fact their actions never actually coincided with the talk or mostly the lies the person in denial told themselves. .

People want others to be who they want them to be and will lie to themselves, stick their head in the sand, whatever it takes. When it's no longer possible to live in denial and the person gets bitter, all men/women are then terrible and no one should ever date, marry, or give the time of day to the opposite sex. It's not the fault of the person who stuck their head in the sand, oh no.....can't be that. Instead they get out their bitter little paintbrush and paint everyone the same way and take zero responsibility for the poor choice they ultimately made.

There are exceptions but really, if the red flags are there and a person ignores them....well then, whose fault is that?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
To the OP. From my view on the world, there are some obvious trends. More men seem to be rejecting marriage, and fear getting owned by their future ex-wife and the court system. The male bashing going on is incredible, and that is a fact. If you don't believe me, just look at the advertising on TV. In many many ads, the woman is slim and attractive, and the man or men are heavy, plain, a duffuss, and weak. Just imagine the roles switched in those commercials and imagine what the reaction would be from the feminists. Many TV shows are the same. The men are pathetic losers.
If it offends you, write to the ad companies, and/or turn off the TV.
You'll be happy that you did.

What male bashing?
Most tv writers are male, if you bother to look at the credits.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:26 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh young grasshopper....you surely have much to learn. Most important - do not use this forum for anything other than entertainment. Okay?
Exactly! I don't know any people in real life that bash the other gender like some of the people here on CD. Most of my friends are either in relationships or want to be in one. And they don't talk about the other sex as if they were evil. You can't find love if you hate the people you are looking to find love with! I mean - that should be quite obvious! "I think all women are gold digging b*tches who are going to suck the life out of me and stop having sex with me once we get married. Wanna go out sometime?" "I think all men are liars and cheaters who only care if a woman is hot or not and exchange her for a younger model as soon as they can. Does dinner on Friday work for you?" Yeah... not really gonna work...

But like I said - in real life, all my friends seem to be fairly well adjusted, happy, positive folk who actually really like the opposite sex!

Oh - and as for the stereotypes of guys going for looks and women going for stability - well - that's kind of how things have been for hundreds of years. Not everyone is like that - but for generations upon generations, women couldn't even make money on other own so they had to look for someone who could support them. And since most couples barely knew each other before they married - of course the rich guy is going to look for the pretty girl. What else does he have to go on?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:33 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
I agree, the stereotypical posts are ubiquitous (and often amusing). My take is that this Board has a preponderance of young people who can't get dates, can't get laid and become disillusioned, bitter and then decide no one else can ever be in love or be happy because they haven't been fortunate to experience it.

So many here don't believe in love, don't think anyone can be monogamous, don't think anyone who is married ever has sex (or has lousy sex), or have a lot of other very negative viewpoints.

The worst threads have got to be when someone posts a picture of themselves and asks, "Would you date me?" Or the constant, "What do women (or men) REALLY want?" It's very mysterious why anyone that's an adult would ask such questions when they should have figured out around the age of 12 that the answers will be all over the map.

Still it's entertaining and sometimes sad to see such a jaundiced view of relationships. I don't see this with people over 35 or so, I assume a lot of the stuff here is definitely generational.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 AM

663 posts, read 1,081,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl;
If it offends you, write to the ad companies, and/or turn off the TV.
You'll be happy that you did.

What male bashing?
Most tv writers are male, if you bother to look at the credits.
Turn off the TV is right .

Forming opinions, even in part, based on the latest episode of whatever show is really strange anyhow. TV is for entertainment. Sitcoms are not learning tools.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,467,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
To the OP. From my view on the world, there are some obvious trends. More men seem to be rejecting marriage, and fear getting owned by their future ex-wife and the court system. The male bashing going on is incredible, and that is a fact. If you don't believe me, just look at the advertising on TV. In many many ads, the woman is slim and attractive, and the man or men are heavy, plain, a duffuss, and weak. Just imagine the roles switched in those commercials and imagine what the reaction would be from the feminists. Many TV shows are the same. The men are pathetic losers.
Well advertisers are no dummies. The most targeted group in the history of the world is the 18-49 male. Probably makes like those ads.

I want to look at hot chicks and laugh at fat doofuses.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:02 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
Usually the bashers of both genders tend to be those that have A. just divorced B. Just broken up with SO C. those that can't find a date for whatever reasons.

I tend to throw them in the bitter column and let them vent, we all get over it soone or later.
Yep.

Plenty of bashing on both sides by the all the Bitter Betty's and Bitter Bob's here

The thing I worry about is, so many of them don't seem to be "getting over it" and are instead content to keep a victim mindset. I see lots of young people wasting their lives that way here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships