Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 06:28 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,206,168 times

Advertisements

Welcome to society. Look around you, we have people running for president that are absolute idiots, so what do you think the intelligence of the average person is? People aren't taught to think deeper, we're taught to be drones for the market and that's as far as it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 06:43 PM

545 posts, read 1,558,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is this a reflection of how things really are? A generational thing?

Particularly that men are mainly attracted to looks, and women are demanding and want a tall, handsome man with money. It seems that many here see these as unchangeable rules. Also I notice quite a bit of male bashing recently...
Yeah... that's how it is in real life.

If you don't believe it, go find a successful man with a 200 pound wife.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:40 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,441,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
If you don't believe it, go find a successful man with a 200 pound wife.
Right on...it's not stereotyping...it's reality...I think most of the dissenting posts are by women...they generally can't stand my generalizations based on having been around the block and they've called me on it in person, too...and yet they are some of the biggest "stratifiers" of men.

Carry on with the stereotyping, friends. Because if we didn't, social psychologists and sociologists wouldn't have a job. In fact, don't we hear news pieces of this variety on an almost nightly basis? I remember one to the tune of psychologists studying that women are aroused by certain types of men more so than others when they are ovulating. Seriously...within the last year or two. That one might be idiotic, but sometimes they study worthwhile things to justify or allocate funding for public or critical services.

I'll never forget a story from a well-known West Coast public university where a guy signed up for a women's studies class and, because he was possibly the only male enrolled and chose to play "devil's advocate," the university had a problem on their hands because of the way the female professor treated him and graded his work because he took a dissenting point of view.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,213,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Most stereotypes have a ring of truth to them, that's probably why some folks get so mad....
Yes, but they mostly upset the exceptions, because people automatically make all these assumptions about them that aren't true.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:06 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,033,492 times
Quote:
Yes, but they mostly upset the exceptions, because people automatically make all these assumptions about them that aren't true.
That's exactly it.

I'd suspect far fewer people would complain about "stereotypes" if it were just the case that they exist and are/do make up the majority, but there was no stigma from not following them -- ie. the stereotypes are just general descriptors, not rules anyone has to follow.

And it doesn't always stop at the harm they cause just coming from "making assumptions about them that aren't true".

I was just reading in the news about a study showing that even kids who do not conform to gender stereotypes are at high risk of being abused.

Girls who dress or act like boys, and boys who act more feminine, may be more likely to be abused - Healthzone.ca

It's nice to say that stereotypes are just generalizations that describe the world as is and the way people are, but not so nice when some of that results from unfortunately, sometimes literally being beaten into submission.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:22 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,213,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
That's exactly it.

I'd suspect far fewer people would complain about "stereotypes" if it were just the case that they exist and are/do make up the majority, but there was no stigma from not following them -- ie. the stereotypes are just general descriptors, not rules anyone has to follow.

And it doesn't always stop at the harm they cause just coming from "making assumptions about them that aren't true".

I was just reading in the news about a study showing that even kids who do not conform to gender stereotypes are at high risk of being abused.

Girls who dress or act like boys, and boys who act more feminine, may be more likely to be abused - Healthzone.ca

It's nice to say that stereotypes are just generalizations that describe the world as is and the way people are, but not so nice when some of that results from unfortunately, sometimes literally being beaten into submission.
Definitely, sometimes there's mean-spiritedness behind the stereotypes - they're not always 'harmless' stereotypes, and I'm one who can definitely joke around about things like this.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:47 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,758,554 times
Quote:
sounds like their personal problem to me.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,288,529 times
No one would ever call me a man basher as I mistrust both sexes equally.

The simple truth is most people end up believing what their parents believed. Most people just don't do original thought. Americans in particular have a reputation for not being very smart. Sorry guys I don't know any of you personally so I'm just repeating what I've heard but there does seem to be some especially dumb elements in your society, from a distance.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:21 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,658,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
... Americans in particular have a reputation for not being very smart. Sorry guys I don't know any of you personally so I'm just repeating what I've heard but there does seem to be some especially dumb elements in your society, from a distance.
You should see it close-up ...

Like the name, by the way!

Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,769,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Welcome to society. Look around you, we have people running for president that are absolute idiots, so what do you think the intelligence of the average person is? People aren't taught to think deeper, we're taught to be drones for the market and that's as far as it goes.
Reminds me of this;

George Carlin ~ The American Dream - YouTube

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships