Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:29 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,688,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is this a reflection of how things really are? A generational thing?

Particularly that men are mainly attracted to looks, and women are demanding and want a tall, handsome man with money. It seems that many here see these as unchangeable rules. Also I notice quite a bit of male bashing recently...
No I don't believe this is true outside of the internet. Just go out to any crowded event and look around, you'll see majority of couples defy what you read on the internet/this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 05:50 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,241,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buick>Import View Post
Or they could care less about dying alone, a virgin/having kids, or finding a SO.

If they could care less, then they wouldn't be bashing...

Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 AM

19,758 posts, read 20,322,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Just saw this webcomic, which totally reminds me of this board: http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/021712/new-topic.gif
hahahahahhahahaha!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,645,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
...What male bashing?
Most tv writers are male, if you bother to look at the credits.
But they are paid to conform with social trends, hence the disgusting depictions of males on TV. They sell out their own gender in addition to prostituting themselves for a buck.

I have to agree with PrairieParson - the little I watch of television, at least in commercials, portrays the majority of men as simple-minded, beer-guzzling idiots with pot-bellies who fear "the missus" and have as much manliness as a can of beans. Although this is probably becoming truer as this society becomes weaker, I don't believe it's anywhere near the levels portrayed on TV.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:20 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,311,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I think there's a huge misunderstanding here between describing the world as it is, and prescribing a rule as it should be.

Some who think of themselves as learned folks like to call it the is-ought distinction/fallacy, or description vs. prescription but day-to-day common sense shows the distinction quite well (still, some people don't seem to get it).

Note two different ideas, as terms are themselves used here. Generalizations (or stereotypes if you so choose to call them) describe the world, such as how people act. Guidelines/rules tell us how the world should be, such as how people should act.

Let's use a fictional example.

Let's say, imagine we found out: Women eat more apples than men.

Someone tells you. "Men don't eat apples much."

Describing: This is the way the world is, from all that we see around us (whether we saw this through experience, or know about it some other way, such as conducting a survey about apple consumption or talking with friends on their fruit-eating habits). It doesn't tell us how any of us should act or do or do otherwise or if it is good or bad or should change, just that it is so as in "I'm just tellin' ya what I see" with no judgement.

Prescribing: Men don't eat apples much? Okay, this is a rule/guideline/way to live by. I see that's how it should be. If you are a man and happen to be doing so at the moment, stop eating as many apples as your wife does! Put that fruit basket down now!

See the difference, a command to act versus a description?
I think you have the best name for you.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:26 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,748,762 times
Most stereotypes have a ring of truth to them, that's probably why some folks get so mad....

Old 02-26-2012, 05:02 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,798,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh young grasshopper....you surely have much to learn. Most important - do not use this forum for anything other than entertainment. Okay?
No, I think we should lay down some standards for the relationship forums. Shallow, materialistic, outdated and paternalistic posts should get slammed and the poster corrected or called on their BS!

No Snooki, Mickey D or Doug & Carrie Heffernan types! You either bring a brain or at least a social conscious or you get the rules explained to you.

Who's with me?

Old 02-26-2012, 07:19 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,974,167 times
Quote:

Particularly that men are mainly attracted to looks, and women are demanding and want a tall, handsome man with money. It seems that many here see these as unchangeable rules. Also I notice quite a bit of male bashing recently...
You realize that majority of your posts and questions revolve around sterotypes and generalizations of entire states and countries right.. ? You're one of the biggest offenders.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:08 AM

16,076 posts, read 28,599,712 times
Quote:

Some gender bashing on a forum is par for the course. Don't believe everything you read here.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:21 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,413,423 times
To the OP:
It's called social psychology and it's valid, since those PhDs conducting these "stereotype" studies have to strongly adhere to statistical sampling rules,
Or, it's called "20,000 Frenchmen can't be wrong."
Or, it's called "the battle of the sexes," which has probably always existed, but only recently become openly discussed.
I'm not at all troubled by stereotyping for the reasons listed above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships