Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,563,677 times

Advertisements

Some women just don't like a man to do those things I guess am I old soul I do those things all the time even for a stranger. I've met one women who thought it was considered sexist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 07:30 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,173,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Some women just don't like a man to do those things I guess am I old soul I do those things all the time even for a stranger. I've met one women who thought it was considered sexist.
Not sexist. In 2012 "certain" people need to be careful who they are "courting". It can be taken the wrong way and you don't need a "witness" to prove no wrong doing was taking place.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:34 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,963,732 times
Quote:
Trust me, if a woman told me that.. I can guarantee there will be a million other things I despise her or she would despise me for

Old 02-23-2012, 01:16 AM

395 posts, read 707,934 times
It's really how you and the girl get along. Forget about this lady's opinion. She has her views and let her find what she's looking for. You find what works for you and the women you spend time with.

Don't make it more complicated than it has to be. Be confident in who you are and express that. Don't do what this lady says and pretend to be something you are not.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:45 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,311,547 times
Your co worker is a hater, don't let her tell you how to be a man...keep doing what your doing.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:44 PM

32,967 posts, read 36,456,285 times
Quote:
I don't know about the old soul thing, but--I will hold a door for anyone who looks as though they need 'the hold'.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:08 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,065,834 times
Living on the west coast, I'd say it's too much because it's not appreciated.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:38 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,496,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Chivalry - When is it too much?
Depends on the participants. I don't mind opening doors for her but then again I open doors for all sorts of random people. I figure acts such as that are simply nice gestures and nothing more.

[ if she drives, does she open the car door for me?]

Last edited by MIKEETC; 02-24-2012 at 01:48 AM..

Old 02-24-2012, 07:06 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,215,804 times
There is having excellent manners and then there is just acting like an effete halfwit. When it becomes showy, it is more the second than the first. And I say that as someone who opens doors, pushes in chairs, helps with coats, and stands when a lady enters a room. It's something you simply do, rather than do with fanfare, like some half-pint Sir Walter Raleigh. If you are announcing it, saying things such as "Allow me, Madam," or "Here, let me hold your coat, you poor helpless creature," then you'll probably get a scowl at best in return.

However, I had a funny encounter a few years ago in New York. I was leaving an office building and paused to hold the door open for two women five feet behind me. One looked really put off and said, "You don't have to open the door for me because I'm a woman." To that I said, "This is true. But common courtesy knows no gender." She looked at me for a second and said, "You know. I've never thought of it that way," and we parted on good terms.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:10 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
OK, so I was telling one of my female co-workers about a date I had with this woman I'm interested in. It was our second date, so I was telling her about it and she stops me and asks "did you open the car door for her?" And I go...no? And she responds "well, that is the gentleman thing to do." And I think of myself as a gentleman, I treat women right, I treat them with respect. In the case of this date, I picked her up and dropped her off, I had a rose for her waiting in the passenger seat (since we were seeing each other a few days after Valentine's Day), we had a great dinner and we watched a movie (all of which I paid for by the way, but I'm not trying to throw that out there to pump myself up). We laughed, we had a great time, we made out.

But according to my co-worker, I should have opened the car door or whatever. I think that would have been a bit much? If you treat the lady with respect and as an equal, why do I need to go around and open the door? I personally think it's too much, but that's just me. And I did tell her there are other ways for guys to show their appreciation for someone besides opening a car door. Different women have different standards and the one I'm dating, doesn't seem like the "open my car door, push my chair in after I sit down" type. I just think a big deal is being made out of it, and if she didn't like the way I am treating her she wouldn't have asked me if she wanted to spend the entire weekend, this weekend with her.

Edit: BTW, the co-worker in question is in a relationship of 4 years and is complaining that her boyfriend no longer does these things for her, open the car door, whatever. Welcome to the world of settling, population: you two. He's no longer trying. And I feel like she's using her relationship as an
example. She doesn't like the fact that he doesn't do this anymore yet she's still with him.

"I was a lady when he started dating me and I should still be a lady and treated as such." Whatever. She shuts up real quick about all of this when he gets her jewelry though.
Your co-workers issues aside, a gentleman DOES open car doors and building doors for his lady, especially on a date.

It sounds to me like the woman you went out with was sadly not raised to expect to be treated like a lady
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships