Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:30 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,643,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
you're right, i think --

i mean i think that chivalry exists both as a code of morality, and as a set of a manners. however i think those two ideas are discrete; you can have one and not the other. some of the most immoral things i've seen in my life were done with impeccable manners.
Oh, I agree. That's like saying shooting a rifle and engaging in warfare can be and are two separate entities.

But just as I'd never call a .22 plinker "warfare", I would never call old-fashioned manners "chivalry". To me, at least, it has to be the whole enchilada to be awarded the name. It's analogous to Confucianism - a set of narrowly-defined morality and behavior rules, manners being only a small part.

And yes, the Knights Templar were "chivalrous" yet committed numerous atrocities - corruptions unfortunately occur in all human-based systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
I would say the biggest one, as in what a Knight would do, holds the highest level. It separates the soap opera stars from the Knight. *I'm saying this as I imagine grabbing my Cold Steel Vietnam Special Forces tomahawk. Smashing out the window of car that is on fire and dragging her out* REAL Knight stuff!
That's a sweet tool!

I agree that true Knighthood, if it were to exist in a perfect form today, should exemplify the highest standards of conduct and self-control. That would leave out most of the department-store ninjas and the fake brave.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:49 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,174,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
That's a sweet tool!

I agree that true Knighthood, if it were to exist in a perfect form today, should exemplify the highest standards of conduct and self-control. That would leave out most of the department-store ninjas and the fake brave.
Yeah, it probably would Phil!
Spoiler

Old 02-22-2012, 04:57 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,023,505 times
I'm not 100% chivalrous, but I have chivalry.

I don't adhere to some code or anything, but I feel that if you treat people, especially women, with respect, it shows the respect you have for yourself also.

Yes, I do certain things to my SO that only my SO will enjoy, but I also treat all women, who accept it, the same in many areas.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM
Thank you - I figured I was talking to someone who had had their head in the REAL bush ...

Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM

32,972 posts, read 36,478,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
Spoiler

Big effing whoop. Half of the people with whom I associate have those tags.

Open the car door, help her out of and into her coat, walk her to her doorstep.

I wouldn't give you the time of day if you couldn't manage that on the first (meant to impress) few dates.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Thank you - I figured I was talking to someone who had had their head in the REAL bush ...
War is hell! Anyone who says otherwise is lying. You haven't lived until you had your ass shot off!!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Big effing whoop. Half of the people with whom I associate have those tags.

Open the car door, help her out of and into her coat, walk her to her doorstep.

I wouldn't give you the time of day if you couldn't manage that on the first (meant to impress) few dates.
I'll do far more than "that" on the right one!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 PM

11,401 posts, read 24,491,532 times
It's not necessary for a man to open doors for a woman. It still makes me feel awkward, like I don't want someone to think I expect him to open the door, especially if we're both going to walk through it.

On the other hand, I understand that car door opening represents the idea that a man is trying to let you know he's courting you. Guys don't open doors for their female friends when they're going someplace, do they? I'd just as soon open my own door; but it does make me secretly happy when my sweetie and I get dressed up for a date and he does all that courtly stuff. A little change up is nice.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
It's not necessary for a man to open doors for a woman. It still makes me feel awkward, like I don't want someone to think I expect him to open the door, especially if we're both going to walk through it.

On the other hand, I understand that car door opening represents the idea that a man is trying to let you know he's courting you. Guys don't open doors for their female friends when they're going someplace, do they? I'd just as soon open my own door; but it does make me secretly happy when my sweetie and I get dressed up for a date and he does all that courtly stuff. A little change up is nice.
Damn...you let out our secrets! Shhhhh LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships