Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 03:08 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times

Advertisements

step away from Facebook... live a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 02:21 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,037,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleharmonicmotion View Post
Does it reflect badly on a woman if her facebook isn't being blown up all of the time? If it's obvious she's not a very popular person?
I think this is related to the fact that I'm well aware that I'm perceived as "lower status".
Usually I have found it's the woman that's usually concerned that her future partner has a healthy amount of friends. Per their dating profiles.

I have seen situations where the woman is quite the social butterfly when out, and if or when he joins her....he kind of sits off to the side, just tolerating it. Usually he can't wait to leave the venue.

Old 12-07-2019, 02:33 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
I’ve never cared unless it was a symptom of bad socialization skills or behavioral issues.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:51 AM

38 posts, read 19,349 times
Quote:
Does it reflect badly on a woman if her facebook isn't being blown up all of the time? If it's obvious she's not a very popular person?
I think this is related to the fact that I'm well aware that I'm perceived as "lower status".
Why would it?

I've been on Facebook since 2010. I've posted, in all that time, twelve things. Eight photos of old interesting buildings around town, three scenery photos, and one of my dog. I have under 70 friends. Minus family there's 10 of them I interact with via chat routinely & even then there maybe a 6 months gap. The rest I may give a thumbs up to here or there if they post something interesting.

FB to me is a means of contacting long distance friends or family without jacking up the phone bill. Except for a handful of interesting 'group sites' it's irrelevant.

Does it mean I'm not a very popular person? Hardly. I am a friendly, outgoing sociable person who prefers face to face interactions. The sort of person who has no problems striking up a conversation with complete strangers. And I am very well liked & extremely popular.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
If you look at the happiness research, after a divorce or death of a spouse, men tend to die earlier and their experience with depression is much higher than women, whereas with women, divorce or death of a spouse doesn't cause the depression or shorten there life span. When the researchers probed a little more for why this was happening it turns out in most couples, the female tends to set the social agenda for the couple. Her friends are much more likely than his friends to become the couples friends. So when they break up, she tends to keep most of her friends and he often finds himself much more isolated.
I think this is typically attributed to men desiring companionship more so than the other way around. Men long for companionship to the point where it can impact them to the point where if they loose someone, be it a break up, divorce, or death, it hits them harder than it would if the situation were flipped.

Of course, if their marriage made it into their elder years, if one dies, the other typically soon follows...regardless of gender.

Quote:
the female tends to set the social agenda for the couple. Her friends are much more likely than his friends to become the couples friends.
Good point. I think once a man goes around socializing as a bachelor, with the end game of finding a woman in his life, his interest in being sociable goes down as he's attained his goal. As I Mentioned earlier, this is why men tolerating going out to events with his wife or girlfriend is only tolerated...but he does get antsy. Not saying all men do this, but I've heard numerous stories where men equated the situation to no different than going with a woman clothes shopping. lol

Some of these guys just wind up wall flowers at his wife's gatherings. I recall Bill Burr being like this. Just hanging at the refreshment table, by himself....not really interested in engaging with anyone.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriosityofCat View Post

FB to me is a means of contacting long distance friends or family without jacking up the phone bill.
How does it jack up the phone bill? This isn't the 1980s anymore. lol. People are on monthly cell phone subscription plans. Per minute rates don't exist anymore...at least not in a traditional sense. Unless...maybe, you're calling Internationally.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:10 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
If she only had male friends and no female friends, then that's a red flag to me.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:54 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
I don't care as much about the number of friends as the quality of friends she has. If she has a few people that will be there for her in a jam if for some reason, I couldn't, then that is great. If it is a bunch of "seat fillers" who don't really care about her and may even get envious of her if something good happens, bless her heart, that's gotta be tough to deal with fake friends.

I myself don't have that many friends because I screen everyone.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:58 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:

A guy might care if a woman is anti-social, but he's not going to gauge that by likes or friends on her facebook page. A woman who puts herself out too much on facebook is also a red flag, as it's too likely she will put too much of their relationship out to the world.

A man contemplating a real-life relationship with a woman is going to pay more attention to who her real-life friends are, how she relates to them, and how much time she spends with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships