Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:48 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,215,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
It's simple ...

If you try and fail, then you know you're a failure.

If you never try, you can believe that you could be a sucess if you tried.
But you don't seem to believe you're going to succeed, so it's just a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 04:49 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Your way of thinking is extremely black and white, as well as being catastrophic. You have to change your thought patterns.

Things to remember:

1. People are all of them, each one, unique human beings with distinct tastes, opinions, experiences and desires. A rejection by one does not--by any stretch of the imagination--predict a rejection by all or even most other people. Stop thinking this way. It is completely illogical.

2. Your social anxiety bears no relationship to whether people like you or don't like you. It is a separate issue. Try not to conflate them.

3. You are an excellent candidate for some intensive cognitive therapy to rid your mind of the doomsday thinking that is dragging you down and making you see the world in a very unrealistic way.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:57 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
But you don't seem to believe you're going to succeed, so it's just a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Well, yes. But, even though I don't believe I would succeed enough to actually try it, at least I can tell myself that I might be able to succeed if I tried. But if I tried and failed, then I wouldn't be able to tell myself that any more.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:59 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,940,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Your way of thinking is extremely black and white, as well as being catastrophic. You have to change your thought patterns.

Things to remember:

1. People are all of them, each one, unique human beings with distinct tastes, opinions, experiences and desires. A rejection by one does not--by any stretch of the imagination--predict a rejection by all or even most other people. Stop thinking this way. It is completely illogical.

2. Your social anxiety bears no relationship to whether people like you or don't like you. It is a separate issue. Try not to conflate them.

3. You are an excellent candidate for some intensive cognitive therapy to rid your mind of the doomsday thinking that is dragging you down and making you see the world in a very unrealistic way.
I think I see the world in a very realistic way. It is a fact that I am not a likeable person.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:14 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
I think I see the world in a very realistic way. It is a fact that I am not a likeable person.
By whose standard?

What makes you think you are unlikeable? Are you a jerk? Do you go around offending people? I doubt that.

You are a shy, sensitive soul. That is not generally a trait that people find unlikable. It is just that sometimes it is harder for them to break through to get to know you, and get you to trust them. You need to give people a chance. Not just women--all of them.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:15 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Quote:
It's simple ...

Everyone gets rejected with things in life, Be it a girl/guy, Job etc. The failure is in giving up! You will miss every shot you don't take, And time stands still for no one. Many have read my own posts on this, How I would crumble trying to talk to gals. Over the last few months I have actually been dating, Due to the fact i put the extra effort in going for it. My age partially scared me because at 36 i am still young, But reminded more of how time is flying. It was-And is still not easy but with every success, Every victory you feel better, More hopeful. I am not a "pickup artist" or Charlie Sheen (!) for that matter, Just a good ol' boy who is afraid of rejection as well.Ya got to go for it, Do not remain alone if you chose not to. For me, I am hoping to meet someone to share life with, And believe i am on the right track at least to start.

I know you are an eloquent, Intelligent guy by reading your posts and this alone is attractive to women (Back me up here ladies of C-!D) You just need some fire to put out there.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:25 PM

688 posts, read 897,743 times
Quote:
It's simple ...

You can believe what you want, but if you refuse to try, you've already failed. If you're okay with a defeatist attitude, so be it. Just don't complain about being a failure because you've brought it onto yourself, lol.

Anyway, if you really think no woman out there would like you, you're delusional. Either put forth some effort, or accept the fact that you're going to be single forever. Dwelling on it will get you nowhere. I've had a few times where I dwelled on it a little and realized that it's useless to do so. All I'm doing is upsetting myself for no reason.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,150,844 times
Do what the secret service did, get you a hooker.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:36 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Do what the secret service did, get you a hooker.
DUDE!!!!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
OP... let me make you feel worse.

I love women and they love me. I'm extremely positive and fun to be with and could probably have 3 dates a night if I had the money and stamina. (Actually, I have the money.) I have a great sense of humor, love to laugh, treat a woman special, romance her and make love to them as often as possible.

Women love a great guy and that's me. That's why I do ask women out.

Now back to you.... try some of what I just mentioned and maybe then you'll get where you like asking women out.

Women DO NOT like poor pitiful me men. Try something different that actually succeeds and removes the Tattoo of LOSER from your forehead. There are many women out there who would love a decent guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships