Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:26 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,182,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So I should accept her as obese?
You said medically overweight. Not obese.

There's a difference.

Quote:
My ideal girlfriend is someone who has a healthy weight.
Then she's not your ideal. Dump her before you cause any lasting emotional or psychological damage trying to force-change her.

Quote:
So you're damn right I'm going to change her.
Which you really have no right to do nor leg to stand on. It's one thing to help somebody towards bettering themselves. It's another to be a right child about it screaming out "SHE'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME SO I'M GOING TO FIX IT".

Quote:
She has an inherent medical problem.
Oh, so she's got a medical problem that causes her to be overweight? Or are you saying that her "medically overweight" status is the inherent medical problem?

Either way, I think your girlfriend deserves somebody better - who would use positive attitude and respect to get her jump started on becoming more healthy for her benefit. Not somebody who is determined to "change her" to fit his ideals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,802 posts, read 8,909,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
was she overweight when you met her?
Yes she was. So clearly there's something else I like about her that keeps me around.

68 posts, read 100,827 times
Read the Mars and Venus series by John Gray. Follow the books to a "T", and she will WANT to lose weight without you saying a darn word about it because you will be 1000% attentive to her emotionally and she will FEEL loved and appreciated for who she is.. she, in turn, will want to look and feel good for YOU, so you have a win-win situation.

That's just my take on it. (and how I would react to a guy doting on me 1000%).

Old 05-04-2012, 07:29 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,858,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
You said medically overweight. Not obese.

There's a difference.

Then she's not your ideal. Dump her before you cause any lasting emotional or psychological damage trying to force-change her.

Which you really have no right to do nor leg to stand on. It's one thing to help somebody towards bettering themselves. It's another to be a right child about it screaming out "SHE'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME SO I'M GOING TO FIX IT".

Oh, so she's got a medical problem that causes her to be overweight? Or are you saying that her "medically overweight" status is the inherent medical problem?

Either way, I think your girlfriend deserves somebody better - who would use positive attitude and respect to get her jump started on becoming more healthy for her benefit. Not somebody who is determined to "change her" to fit his ideals.
I'm "medically overweight" although with clothes on I look "normal" or "thin" depending on my overall appearance that day. I am trying to lose about 25 lbs or so because I want to, even though my husband still thinks I'm irresistible.

Is she actually healthy? Is she active? Do tyou have any idea how her cholesterol, BP, etc is?

My doctor has said although I'm a little overweight, she isn't worried because all my numbers are good or better than average.

Everyone carries their weight differently, and I can't help but wonder if you're using her "health" to justify your shallow behavior.

Does she "look" fat to you?

Old 05-04-2012, 07:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,767,998 times
Quote:
So I was wondering what's the best way to approach this issue.
honestly, you don't, you just get a new girlfriend.

that's why it is such a high priority when you're dating, because if she's overweight it's not something that you can EVER bring up.

chances are, as long as she has a boyfriend (you), she's not going to slim down. The only thing you can do that will get her to slim down, is to break up with her. Then there's the off chance that she'll go on a weight loss binge to try and make you jealous.. ha. So, like I say, a no-win situation for you.

4,217 posts, read 7,309,285 times
Quote:
Yes she was. So clearly there's something else I like about her that keeps me around.
Okay so you want her to be healthy, leave the overweight conversation to her doctor. If you try to address it yourself it's going to cause a problem since you fell for her initially regardless of the extra weight. She will be confused and hurt about what has changed.

You can just start motivating her to eat healthy (which means you have to also) and exercise with you. Start by not giving her the option. If she wants to go out to dinner make sure it's somewhere healthy. If she wants to hang out make sure there is some sort of activity involved not just watching TV together.

1,754 posts, read 2,470,964 times
Quote:
I'm going to start snorting cocaine. She should accept me for who I am though, according to this board.
How long has she been fat? Have you guys been together for years and the weight has packed on? Or did you try and buy a fixer upper?

And to answer your question, if you guys met snorting rails off each others butts, then yes she should accept it.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 AM

68 posts, read 100,827 times
Quote:
So I should accept her as obese?
No, absolutely not.

Quote:
My ideal girlfriend is someone who has a healthy weight. So you're damn right I'm going to change her. She has an inherent medical problem.
But don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Match.com® | The Leading Online Dating Site for Singles & Personals

Old 05-04-2012, 07:34 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,909,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
I'm "medically overweight" although with clothes on I look "normal" or "thin" depending on my overall appearance that day. I am trying to lose about 25 lbs or so because I want to, even though my husband still thinks I'm irresistible.

Is she actually healthy? Is she active? Do tyou have any idea how her cholesterol, BP, etc is?

My doctor has said although I'm a little overweight, she isn't worried because all my numbers are good or better than average.

Everyone carries their weight differently, and I can't help but wonder if you're using her "health" to justify your shallow behavior.

Does she "look" fat to you?

She is not healthy. She is not active. She constantly complains about how inactive she is. She said she's upset because she finds herself short of breath a lot. She really hates men who smoke and said she would judge me for smoking, and that it was a deal breaker to her. I'm going to pick up smoking again as she should accept me for who I am, not because I smoke. I believe it's an even trade: I get to smoke cigarettes and she gets to be overweight. What do you guys think?

Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,182,816 times
Quote:
She is not healthy. She is not active. She constantly complains about how inactive she is. She said she's upset because she finds herself short of breath a lot.
You never said how overweight she was. Height/Weight?

Quote:
She really hates men who smoke and said she would judge me for smoking, and that it was a deal breaker to her. I'm going to pick up smoking again as she should accept me for who I am, not because I smoke. I believe it's an even trade: I get to smoke cigarettes and she gets to be overweight. What do you guys think?
So basically... you're going to take on a hobby she hates as payback and/or revenge for her not being to your standards?

Here's what I think: Dump her before you cause lasting emotional or psychological damage. She deserves much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships