Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:40 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
I think it depends on the woman's age. A 35+ year old woman, for example, does NOT have two years to waste on a man who is actively or passive-aggressively resisting the idea of their marrying. If I'm with a guy and we have discovered we are in love and compatible, then a decent guy would make a move after about 12-14 months.
I disagree. I'm 45 was 42 when I met my hubby to be. I was never desperate and neither are friends that are single intheir 40's, we are self-sufficient, unlike some in their 20's, we aren't looking for daddy's for our babies, nor a paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:42 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I was living with my boyfriend for 3 years when I told him I wanted a ring. It wasn't about getting married for me..I literally just wanted a ring. He must not have been offended by my "request" because he proposed with that ring.
Lol thanks for the response, but to clarify...

You wouldn't settle down long term with that man in particular unless you got your ring?

Is that right? Because the ring is important to you

Old 05-17-2012, 08:42 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
I disagree. I'm 45 was 42 when I met my hubby to be. I was never desperate and neither are friends that are single intheir 40's, we are self-sufficient, unlike some in their 20's, we aren't looking for daddy's for our babies, nor a paycheck.
I resent that! I'm in my 20's, I'm self sufficient, dont want babies, or a paycheck (well besides my own).

Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 AM

Another thing to clairfy,There's a difference between living with a man, for awhile until you get married, and living with a man and NEVER getting married.

Are you cool with being his Girlfriend forever?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:45 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,238,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I resent that! I'm in my 20's, I'm self sufficient, dont want babies, or a paycheck (well besides my own).
Don't resent, represent... I said, "some."

Besides, it would have been easy for me to resent your statement as well.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:47 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
Don't resent, represent... I said, "some."

Besides, it would have been easy for me to resent your statement as well.
Which? Dont think I made any generalizations about your entire age group...

Old 05-17-2012, 08:49 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
BradPiff, what do you think the difference between "being a girlfriend forever" and being someone's legal spouse is?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
That goes for men as well.
There a difference between getting married and WANTING to be married

I honestly don't believe the majority of men(especially today) WANT to get married, or have an urge to get married, especially like most women

Are there guys who want to get married, of course, but I don't think as much as women.

Here's the thing, if u asked most men would you be cool with one of these scenarios
A. Playing the field with different women forever
B. Being with one woman long term, but not officially married

Most guys would take one of those, but they just can't live that lifestyle for a multitude of reasons. So they kindoff settle for marriage
On the other hand, most women don't want to play the field forever(even though they can much easier) or want be just the girlfriend forever, I think that's the difference IMO.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I think the difference between the real-life men I know and the men on these forums is that the ones I know don't see their partners as sexless, money-leeching, future alimony checks.
Who has ever implied this? It's simply not true

Old 05-17-2012, 09:03 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,941 times
why can't people get it through their thick heads that marriage is a SYMBOL of commitment to a person. No, nothing is different from living together. No, it doesn't guarantee you'll be together forever. It does however tell the other person that you are COMMITTED to them to such a degree that you are willing to 1.) spend a nice chunk of change on a beautiful piece of jewelry TO SYMBOLIZE THIS, 2.) get up in front of everyone you know and announce it, 3.) do all this knowing full well that if you want out, it will be a big mess.

"it's just a piece of paper" = nonsense!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships