Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 04:13 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,688,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
**Yawn**

Yea, in everything but the hard sciences such as mathematics, engineering or aerospace. I could care less (regardless of gender) who has a masters degree in, say, communications or psychology.

Are you aware of affirmative action? Companies today are forced to hire certain people they may not want or else they could face lawsuits.
I have an aerospace engineering degree and work in aviation, and as a woman I can tell you it's not easy. I've known a ton of women who had the smarts and the drive to go into engineering or mechanics (which is where I currently am) but simply can't handle the constant put downs, the sexual harassment and the self esteem blows that come along with it. It's not that they don't have the talent...they do. It's that many women simply don't have thick enough skin to deal with it, and these are things men don't have to deal with so they just don't get it.

Still to this day I have issues because of working with male mechanics who would made negative comments about my skills, about my looks and about the fact that I'll 'never find a husband turning a wrench'. Tell a woman in her late teens/early 20s all of that stuff and see if she wants to stay in the industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 04:19 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,952,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have an aerospace engineering degree and work in aviation, and as a woman I can tell you it's not easy. I've known a ton of women who had the smarts and the drive to go into engineering or mechanics (which is where I currently am) but simply can't handle the constant put downs, the sexual harassment and the self esteem blows that come along with it. It's not that they don't have the talent...they do. It's that many women simply don't have thick enough skin to deal with it, and these are things men don't have to deal with so they just don't get it.

Still to this day I have issues because of working with male mechanics who would made negative comments about my skills, about my looks and about the fact that I'll 'never find a husband turning a wrench'. Tell a woman in her late teens/early 20s all of that stuff and see if she wants to stay in the industry.
Much of that is true Jet. You did forget to mention the wrench or ratchet that slips and the "oh fudge" knucklebuster when blood starts to squirt out. Unless it's a really bad one, you just wipe it off and wrap it up with some black electrical tape and get back to work. When I say "bad" I mean it's bleeding so bad you can't stop it and need to go to the clinic to sew you up. Even then, you just deal with some of those too. The reality sets in for most women..."I don't wanna do this anymore".

Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOne View Post
Much of that is true Jet. You did forget to mention the wrench or ratchet that slips and the "oh fudge" knucklebuster when blood starts to squirt out. Unless it's a really bad one, you just wipe it off and wrap it up with some black electrical tape and get back to work. When I say "bad" I mean it's bleeding so bad you can't stop it and need to go to the clinic to sew you up. Even then, you just deal with some of those too. The reality sets in for most women..."I don't wanna do this anymore".
The women who make it that far are usually ok with the wounds. I know I've had to duct tape a cut up more than once, and I have quite a few burn scars on my hands and lower arms from reaching up into hot engines. My best friend is a lady welder and she has her share of burn scars as well. Most women who are in the mechanic industrie(s) know this is a reality and deal with it.

Unfortunately, the reason those injuries bother most of the women mechanics I know is not because it hurts, or because it's 'gross', but rather because men will find it unattractive and most of them aren't shy about telling us how ugly it is. Battle wounds aren't hot on women, unfortunately, because if they were I'd be the most popular girl out there

Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
The women who make it that far are usually ok with the wounds. I know I've had to duct tape a cut up more than once, and I have quite a few burn scars on my hands and lower arms from reaching up into hot engines. My best friend is a lady welder and she has her share of burn scars as well. Most women who are in the mechanic industrie(s) know this is a reality and deal with it.

Unfortunately, the reason those injuries bother most of the women mechanics I know is not because it hurts, or because it's 'gross', but rather because men will find it unattractive and most of them aren't shy about telling us how ugly it is. Battle wounds aren't hot on women, unfortunately, because if they were I'd be the most popular girl out there
I'm sitting here right now with a 20 year old knee injury that started a flare-up over the last few days and is holding water. My kneecap has a golfball size bubble of water on it. My clothes are soaking wet with sweat and my pants are filthy. I feel and look like holy hell. I'm still taking my bass boat out hitting the lake in a few minutes for some fishing. Believe me hon, I KNOW!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOne View Post
I'm sitting here right now with a 20 year old knee injury that started a flare-up over the last few days and is holding water. My kneecap has a golfball size bubble of water on it. My clothes are soaking wet with sweat and my pants are filthy. I feel and look like holy hell. I'm still taking my bass boat out hitting the lake in a few minutes for some fishing. Believe me hon, I KNOW!
But that's ok, because you're a guy. You're 'supposed' to be rugged and sweaty.

My ex used to make me shower and change before he'd even give me a hug when I got home from work. Said it was 'disgusting'. Asked me constantly why I couldn't get a desk job like a 'normal woman'.

I have two metal pins in my left knee from a dirtbike accident and I've broken nearly every bone in my body AND I'm missing two organs...haha Again, hot for guys, unattractive for women. And I kinda want to go fishing now.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:59 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,533,623 times
I wonder if men are hardwired to do this?

I had a very nice childhood. Travel, lots of sports, the best education. And then, on my 16th birthday, my parents gave me a really nice convertible muscle car.

Well, I worked at a movie theater (my parents also thought it would be good to teach me the value of a dollar)...and I drove my car to work, of course.

This new guy started there...and I don't get how a TEENAGE boy thinks he is going to impress girls with money (especially since we all worked at a theater), but genius decides to try to impress me.

The final hilarious straw was when he tried to pick me up with MY OWN CAR.

He sidled up to me...asked me out (again) on a date...and said, "See there? That's my car...we'll look really hot in it."

Dumbass.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:

My ex used to make me shower and change before he'd even give me a hug when I got home from work. Said it was 'disgusting'. Asked me constantly why I couldn't get a desk job like a 'normal woman'.

I have two metal pins in my left knee from a dirtbike accident and I've broken nearly every bone in my body AND I'm missing two organs...haha Again, hot for guys, unattractive for women. And I kinda want to go fishing now.
I took my Sis's boys out Friday. The 7 year old caught 21 NICE!!!! bluegill all by himself. My boys even though I don't have any myself. I try to raise them right when my BIL and Sis send them over to play!

Old 07-02-2012, 05:11 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,043,257 times
Quote:

To be fair, if I had a GF/SO that i came home to, I wouldn't think about touching her until after I showered. You might work as a mechanic, I work with recycled metal in an old power plant that melted steel and used some nasty chemicals. It also happens to be a damn furnace in the summertime.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,533,623 times
I am a woman and I shower as soon as I get home, too.

Who wants work yuck all over them during their personal time?

Old 07-02-2012, 05:19 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,602,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's the opposite of my approach to finding the 'one.' My attitude is, if she doesn't like me if I was unemployed (I have a good reason to right now) - not considering other factors like motivation, I don't want her, even if she's really hot. I find the idea of trying to 'win over' a woman with money or popularity totally alien. I don't even WANT to be in a relationship with somebody like that. Maybe a few flings, but nothing serious.

I don't get why so many guys want a 'trophy wife' - well I do, to show off, and a hot bod, but if the relationship is so shallow and based on money why treat it as anything else but a semi-'professional' arrangement.

Who here is more like me?
I wound up laughing at a drunk-ass hitting on my wife, he went straight for the money card.
P-a-t-h-e-c-t-i-c.
His expression was priceless when I told him she made twice as much as he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships