Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 12:09 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,098,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I can't find the article at the moment, but a large percentage of women who earn degrees and land good jobs eventually quit, or downgrade to part time work after they have kids, so the husband then becomes the sole breadwinner.

This happened to my buddy, his wife has a degree and worked for a mid range company making about 40k a year, but then as soon as she got married and had a baby she quit her job and does not want to go back to work again. Now they fight over money and her not wanting to go back to work.
This is our situation however, it was decided early on and we planned for the fact that I would not work when we had children unless we absolutely needed the money. We had a vision on how we wanted to raise our family and it did not include putting the children in daycare.

We moved to further his career and in this area, my salary would be half of what it was in NY so I'm not going back to work anytime soon in that field. Your friend and his wife made the mistake of not discussing and agreeing to a plan and then STICKING to it. That will always cause a riff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,588,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddiesgirl View Post
When a person doesn't have the looks or even the social skills as others, they rely on other things such as their brains or financial wealth to make up for it. There is nothing wrong with that and you don't know whether they're solely trying to bed you or not just because they spend their money on you. I know a friend who is not wealthy at all and barely gets by on his salary, but he treats his wife like the queen regardless. It's just a part of his personality and he's not trying to prove a point; he just likes to buy his wife stuff.
He's treating his wife like a queen because that's all he can get with his money. He knows if he treats her any other way she will leave and then he will be forced into celibacy/isolation.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,480,082 times
Quote:
This happened to my buddy, his wife has a degree and worked for a mid range company making about 40k a year, but then as soon as she got married and had a baby she quit her job and does not want to go back to work again. Now they fight over money, her not wanting to go back to work, and my buddy not making enough money to take care of the whole family even though she does not work.
Obviously this is something they need to talk about, but perhaps in this economy the wife might not be able to get another job either at all, or one that pays as much as she did before she took time out. In addition to that, the cost of childcare might be more than she could make at work, so they might be saving money having her stay home.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
This is our situation however, it was decided early on and we planned for the fact that I would not work when we had children unless we absolutely needed the money. We had a vision on how we wanted to raise our family and it did not include putting the children in daycare.
Good for you I'm not a fan of daycare either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
We moved to further his career and in this area, my salary would be half of what it was in NY so I'm not going back to work anytime soon in that field. Your friend and his wife made the mistake of not discussing and agreeing to a plan and then STICKING to it. That will always cause a riff.
Agreed.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Obviously this is something they need to talk about, but perhaps in this economy the wife might not be able to get another job either at all, or one that pays as much as she did before she took time out.
In this case she got her job back after the baby but then she quit altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
In addition to that, the cost of childcare might be more than she could make at work, so they might be saving money having her stay home.
But they still paid for a maid.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:55 PM

36,672 posts, read 30,977,749 times
Quote:
I agree, but Western women go too far in how much they're looking for out of a man. Simply put, the average man with an average salary is no longer good enough
That would be why the majority of the population is average guys with average salaries married to average women with average salaries.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That would be why the majority of the population is average guys with average salaries married to average women with average salaries.
Those women took what they could get, better to get a man with average money then none at all; though I do know women who are holding out for a "baller".

Old 07-02-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
This happened to my buddy, his wife has a degree and worked for a mid range company making about 40k a year, but then as soon as she got married and had a baby she quit her job and does not want to go back to work again. Now they fight over money, her not wanting to go back to work, and my buddy not making enough money to take care of the whole family even though she does not work.
Quote:
But they still paid for a maid.
So she took time off after the birth, went back to work, quit just because she dosent want to work while he cant make enough money to support himself, wife and child, they fight over money and yet they pay a maid. Sounds like you have friends with absolutly no economic understanding.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Those women took what they could get, better to get a man with average money then none at all; though I do know women who are holding out for a "baller".

And you know them all. Perhaps they found someone they loved on their own economic level and having a common background, you know, as people do. It is fairly obvious that the vast majority of people interact with those similar to themselves, they live in the same neighborhood, attend the same schools, churches, etc. thus fall in love and pair up with those similar to themselves.

Data from recent studies and statistics show women are now exceeding men in education, and fast closing the gap if not equal in holding higher level positions and careers. More women now out earn men and are the breadwinners. Therefore your position that most women out there are on a quest to marry a rich man could only be a fallacy. A few is very believeable.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Data from recent studies and statistics show women are now exceeding men in education
**Yawn**

Yea, in everything but the hard sciences such as mathematics, engineering or aerospace. I could care less (regardless of gender) who has a masters degree in, say, communications or psychology.

Quote:
and fast closing the gap if not equal in holding higher level positions and careers. More women now out earn men and are the breadwinners.
Are you aware of affirmative action? Companies today are forced to hire certain people they may not want or else they could face lawsuits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships