Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:42 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Her daughter is grown. She married him because she was afraid no one else would ever ask her. (I think that mostly answers your question). She's seen my dating fiascos (LMAO) and would rather stay with an idiot than be alone.
Saddest thing I have heard all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 02:47 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
I think it depends on the circumstance.

When I was in my last relationship, it was clear that some things weren't working but I still enjoyed other aspects of it and was content in it. But when it ended and I found myself alone and devoid of all the affection, companionship and intimacy that I was used to, I became and stayed miserable and depressed for years. To some, being alone is misery.

I also have a friend now that is dating a guy that can't give her the full relationship she wants. She dates other guys ocassionally but she figures its better for her to have some of the things she wants instead of none of the things she wants. For now anyway.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:51 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,781 times
I think to be content alone...you must really love yourself and have lots of confidence and enjoy independence.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:45 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Some people find comfort in misery perhaps. They wake up everyday feeling miserable, but they know what to expect at least. As soon as they walk out the door life becomes an unknown and some people are too scared to take a chance on the unknown. They'd rather stick to what they know even if it sucks. I've been there too. Being alone is way better than being with someone who makes you unhappy.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I have never understood being miserable. Right now, I could be well off, in a large home, married, to a jerk. I am better off alone. My mantra while trying to juggle my accounts to pay bills.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:52 PM

199 posts, read 391,299 times
I guess being alone is okay, if you are not bothered by it. On the other hand, being alone, complaining about it won't make the situation better.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:15 PM

626 posts, read 903,334 times
Personally I love peace of mind. I don't deal with stress and chaos well. So, yes, I'd rather be alone than be miserable.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:16 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
I agree with the statement 100%. To me it means, that unless I can have someone that meets my standards, which are really high, I would rather be single for the rest of my life. Being alone is fine, settling is not an option.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:29 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I agree with the statement 100%. To me it means, that unless I can have someone that meets my standards, which are really high, I would rather be single for the rest of my life. Being alone is fine, settling is not an option.
This.

I've gone periods of months and years without being in a relationship and I was perfectly fine. I spent the time doing things like traveling, hitting the gym, going to the movies alone, concerts, whatever I felt like doing, I did it.

You have to be truly comfortable in your own skin and have enough self esteem that being alone with yourself is acceptable and you don't owe anyone an explanation about it.

Being miserable, there simply is no excuse for. Either work to resolve the issues, or if they are completely unresolvable, get out. Life is too short to be with someone who makes you miserable.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Being alone would be vastly superior than being with someone that makes your life miserable. Consider what it would be like to live with someone who refused sex to you, or cheated on you. Every time its a rejection. If you're alone, you don't have someone telling you by their actions that you're worthless all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships