Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:22 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,965 times

Advertisements

Do any of you (those of you implying that feminism is the root of all evil) even know what "feminism" entails? No, I didn't think so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 09:26 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Do any of you (those of you implying that feminism is the root of all evil) even know what "feminism" entails? No, I didn't think so...
feminism is about ensuring that women come out on top in any given situation or scenario

Old 07-01-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I completely agree with the OP, and apply all gender-based manners to everyone across the board. I get doors for anyone who happens to be going through the door right before or after me, and I usually go back and forth with friends/dates in terms of who pays. I carry my own bags, the only exception being if my company is in a wheelchair, since it's absolutely no extra effort for them to let me put my bag on their chair, then I ask their permission. I think chivalry is a great tradition, and sexism is not, so the problem is easily solved by being chivalrous to all parties, regardless of gender.
It's as easy as that...

Old 07-01-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
feminism is about ensuring that women come out on top in any given situation or scenario
You're obviously ignorant on the matter and not interested in learning. That's not women's fault and feminism isn't to blame, either.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:29 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:

I'm not saying it's the root of all evil, but I don't really know what it's about. The definitions I've seen are all over the place. People say it to me and I don't think I am one... All I know is when a woman says anything about "having her own mind," or similar views, 'feminism' is to blame. Apparently helping a woman carry some bags voids her of any rights to be individualistic and on the same level as men. In that case I'll carry my own bags or get a small cart. That way I can continue having a mind of my own.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:30 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times
Quote:
haha, there are plenty of us who know exactly what modern feminism entails. Today it surely has less to do with equal rights/equal pay and much more in common with gaining election votes. Emma Goldman foresaw this years ago when she distanced herself. I for one really enjoy listening to Ayn Rand's comments specifically about the effects of feminism on women. Is it the root? well thats another thread for another forum. I love how people leave these lines "I didn't think you knew about feminism", they're so predictable and no different than the "1950's" arguments.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
Women only want to be equal when it's convenient.

Equal pay? We have to be equal

Military draft? No that's a mans job

And there's many other examples. Same thing with Hitting or assaulting men.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:32 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
You're obviously ignorant on the matter and not interested in learning. That's not women's fault and feminism isn't to blame, either.
yeah , i got the meme , feminism is never to blame for anything , ever

Old 07-01-2012, 09:33 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Women only want to be equal when it's convenient.

Equal pay? We have to be equal

Military draft? No that's a mans job
I want to be equal in all areas. I want to be paid 100 cents to the dollar men are paid for their work, and also be expected to pick up the tab half the time.

I consider myself a feminist because I believe in the true equality of men and women, and that both men and women should have equal access to all aspects of life, including everything from carrying my own bags to being included in the military draft.

I believe that when women want the upsides of gender equality while wanting to still benefit from the upsides of misogyny, they are engaging in covert misandry. Both misogyny and misandry are forms of sexism.

Please don't generalize about all women or feminists.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I'm not saying it's the root of all evil, but I don't really know what it's about. The definitions I've seen are all over the place. All I know is when a woman says anything about "having her own mind," or similar views, 'feminism' is to blame. Apparently helping a woman carry some bags voids her of any rights to be individualistic and on the same level of men. In that case I'll carry my own bags or get a small cart. That way I can continue having a mind of my own.
I know... People tend to go to extremes. If we're grateful when someone holds the door, we must accept that the world tell us we should stay at home and cook dinner, whether we like the idea or not. Sigh...

I realise there are some "waves" of feminism I don't like, and some authors I utterly disagree with, but the basics being "feminism = equal rights" I'll always be a feminist no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships