Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Guys, are you intimidated to approach a taller woman?
Yes 35 30.43%
No 80 69.57%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Wow, that's early to peak. At 11 I was probably in the shortest 5 in a class of 30. Even now, at 5'9" or so, I'm probably in the shortest 30% of the adult male population, which isn't one of the shortest anymore but on the short side here. I probably grew 7 inches from 14 to 16.
Not incredibly so, for girls. The onset of puberty for guys is a bit later, but fifth grade is an average time for girls to start getting hips and breasts, height shooting up, hormones to start kicking in, etc. It's right about at the onset of growth spurts, when the girls who are gonna be tall start shooting up.

My brothers, by contrast, didn't hit their growth spurts until they were juniors/seniors in HS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 12:35 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,108,330 times
Intimidated by? No.

Intrigued by the thought of? Yes.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:07 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,015,710 times
Many years ago I was dating a Finnish gal who worked in Denmark. When we went to visit there, I met her roommate, a 6'5" amazon who was NOT the skinny type. Not fat either, just BIG.

I remember my first thought being "Wow, that is a WHOLE lot o' lovin' right there!" I wasn't thinking it was a shame I was attached but I WAS thinking that whoever her man was, he was one lucky guy, and HAD I been single, I'd have asked her out. She'd have likely laughed at me and reached down to my 5'10.5" to tousle my hair or something, but no, intimidation would NOT have been a problem.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:42 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Many years ago I was dating a Finnish gal who worked in Denmark. When we went to visit there, I met her roommate, a 6'5" amazon who was NOT the skinny type. Not fat either, just BIG.

I remember my first thought being "Wow, that is a WHOLE lot o' lovin' right there!" I wasn't thinking it was a shame I was attached but I WAS thinking that whoever her man was, he was one lucky guy, and HAD I been single, I'd have asked her out. She'd have likely laughed at me and reached down to my 5'10.5" to tousle my hair or something, but no, intimidation would NOT have been a problem.
I just not an hour ago saw a beautiful Latina at my job who had to be 6'4". A thick, but not fat 6'4". She was wearing tight jeans, a nice, form-fitting purple top and a marvelous smile. And yes, I thought to myself, "That is a lot of woman." If I were single, I'd have asked her out right then and there.

US, I suspect great minds think alike.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:44 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,631,269 times
Hell yeah she might get mad and kick my butt lol.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:37 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not incredibly so, for girls. The onset of puberty for guys is a bit later, but fifth grade is an average time for girls to start getting hips and breasts, height shooting up, hormones to start kicking in, etc. It's right about at the onset of growth spurts, when the girls who are gonna be tall start shooting up..
5th grade is AVERAGE these days for onset of puberty? When I was in school, it was 7th grade. One girl developed in 6th grade, and was very self-conscious about it, she was kind of a freak. I wonder if this early onset of puberty in girls is related to hidden estrogens in the food we eat, and in chemicals that package the food.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:31 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Not intimidated but would never date a gal taller than me. DW is 5'2", I am 5'10".

Yeah, Ruth, I have noticed this as well, not certain about what grade or whatever, but just walking around town you can see that very young girls have figures like they were older.

FWIW, it seems to me more 20-something guys have significant hair loss, than I remember back in the day.

Or maybe I am just paying more attention now. Although, last time I was in Russia or Ukraine, I didn't see the early developing girls, nor the balding younger men. Or didn't notice anyway.

Your hypothesis that it's due to food additives seems reasonable to me.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 PM

417 posts, read 825,261 times
very tall women are extremely sexy. I think it may have to do with how rare it is for some of us to actually see women breaking the 6'0- 6'1 barrier. Also the fact that it's hard not to think of them just dominating you with that height and all sorts of rather kinky thoughts better left not expressed. Overall though, I do think men on average are intimidated by really tall women. They might be attracted, but a lot of guys have some issues about casual dates and such dwarfing them in height. I think it's like an ego protection thing.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
5th grade is AVERAGE these days for onset of puberty? When I was in school, it was 7th grade. One girl developed in 6th grade, and was very self-conscious about it, she was kind of a freak. I wonder if this early onset of puberty in girls is related to hidden estrogens in the food we eat, and in chemicals that package the food.
I didn't go through puberty until I was 17... medication delayed it, but I did hit 6' tall when I was 14 or so.

I do agree about the chemicals in foods though...if I ever have children I can already see myself as being super paranoid about food.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:03 PM

30 posts, read 61,790 times
Not intimidated, just not attracted to tall or big women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships