Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 05:34 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Tell me what benefits men married men receive and how marriage is a good investment.

Companionship? Don't need to be married to get that.
Friendship? Don't need to be married to get that.
Financial support? Most married guys make more than their wives; sometimes 2-3x as much.
Sex? Don't need to be married to get that.
Clearly you don't understand marriage at all.

In its finest form, it is a blissful, effortless melding of two souls, literally.

I know couples who are like ying and yang, you never find one without the other, they speak for each other, they have passion for each other, they enjoy the same stuff, they always have each other's best interests at heart, no matter what, they actively try to please each other, they are partners in crime, and partners in life in every single way you could possibly imagine...almost like twins.

They are stronger and more complete as a unit, than they are alone. The whole is more than the sum of its parts.

That's what marriage can be. It does exist, which is why we all keep reaching for the prize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 05:38 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Tell me what benefits men married men receive and how marriage is a good investment.

Some married men have much more than companionship and friendship. They have a person entirely devoted to them, their dreams, their life goals, their health, etc. No way are you getting that out of a friend. To be clear, not all married men are going to have that (or deserve it) either. The point is that individual marriages are not one size fits all.

Quote:
Financial support? Most married guys make more than their wives; sometimes 2-3x as much.
Marriage: Husbands Get Richer, Bachelors Get Screwed

"How's this for unintended consequences? Some of the biggest beneficiaries of the women's movement have been married men. According to a new study by the Pew Research Center, married men have a 60% higher median household income than they did in 1970, even adjusted for inflation. Unmarried men, on the other hand, only got a 16% bump.

One reason for the rise is that more men are marrying women who make more money than they do, mainly because there are more high-income women to go around."
Study: Married Men Benefit Economically; Bachelors Don't - TIME

Again, that does not mean such women are available to every man.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:38 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post

In its finest form, it is a blissful, effortless melding of two souls, literally.

I know couples who are like ying and yang, you never find one without the other, they speak for each other, they have passion for each other, they enjoy the same stuff, they always have each other's best interests at heart, no matter what, they actively try to please each other, they are partners in crime, and partners in life in every single way you could possibly imagine...almost like twins.

They are stronger and more complete as a unit, than they are alone. The whole is more than the sum of its parts.

That's what marriage can be. It does exist, which is why we all keep reaching for the prize.
Sure I do. Ultimately, it's a financial contract.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:40 PM

691 posts, read 1,427,325 times
Quote:

There is no gain to getting married if you are a male. The man has everything to lose if she decides to divorce him for whatever reason.

Hell, the woman can cheat on the guy and still end up with all of his things. Until the playing field is fair, I say No thanks!

Old 09-09-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Some married men have much more than companionship and friendship. They have a person entirely devoted to them, their dreams, their life goals, their health, etc. No way are you getting that out of a friend. To be clear, not all married men are going to have that (or deserve it) either. The point is that individual marriages are not one size fits all.

Marriage: Husbands Get Richer, Bachelors Get Screwed

"How's this for unintended consequences? Some of the biggest beneficiaries of the women's movement have been married men. According to a new study by the Pew Research Center, married men have a 60% higher median household income than they did in 1970, even adjusted for inflation. Unmarried men, on the other hand, only got a 16% bump.

One reason for the rise is that more men are marrying women who make more money than they do, mainly because there are more high-income women to go around."
Study: Married Men Benefit Economically; Bachelors Don't - TIME

Again, that does not mean such women are available to every man.
They don't come out ahead, though. A married guy might make a bit more, but he also has more bills (wife, kids, mortgage on a 3 bed/3 bath house, multiple car payments, summer camp fees, putting money aside for college tuition, etc) which negate the fact that he made a bit more. Moreover, if a guy earns an additional $20k at work, he only controls 50% of that (marriage legally splits finances down the line 50/50%), and when you factor in the increase in bills, the unmarried guy comes out ahead.

In addition to what I said, if a divorce occurs, the assets will likely be split 60/40 in favor of the wife/kids. Just face it: married guys don't come out ahead financially and are forced to have sex with one woman for the rest of their lives.

Last edited by bicoastal10; 09-09-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-09-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
They don't come out ahead, though. A married guy might make a bit more, but he also has more bills (wife, kids, mortage, multiple car payments, summer camp fees, etc) which negate the fact that he made a bit more. Moreover, if a guy earns an additional $20k a work, he only controls 50% of that (marriage legally splits finances down the line 50/50%), and when you factor in the increase in bills, the unmarried guy comes out ahead.
They do come come out ahead. It's not 2x the bills, it's x/2 the bills. Do you really need this explained to you? They don't own two homes for two mortgages. They own one home with one mortgage. There are not two sets of electric, sewage, cable, internet, heating bills. There are not two sets of property taxes. There are only one, but with two incomes. You summer camp fees and children issue is independent of marriage. Plenty of men indeed want children as well as marriage.

If you read the article, which I know you won't LOL, you will find this caveat...

Quote:
Aside from the increase in white-collar women, the other trend behind the Pew numbers is that marriage rates have declined most sharply among the least educated men and women, which helps explain why the median household income figures for married men have pulled even further ahead of those for their single counterparts. More of the least affluent are unmarried than before.
Not only that, but the likely to marry these (the affluent) are less likely to divorce. A disparity line is being drawn in the sand.

Anyhow, what we should highlight here is that you ignore the study in lieu of your tummy rubbing.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
They do come come out ahead. It's not 2x the bills, it's x/2 the bills. Do you really need this explained to you? They don't own two homes for two mortgages. They own one home with one mortgage. There are not two sets of electric, sewage, cable, internet, heating bills. There are not two sets of property taxes. There are only one, but with two incomes. You summer camp fees and children issue is independent of marriage. Plenty of men indeed want children as well as marriage.

If you read the article, which I know you won't LOL, you will find this caveat...

Not only that, but the likely to marry these (the affluent) are less likely to divorce. A disparity line is being drawn in the sand.

Anyhow, what we should highlight here is that you ignore the study in lieu of your tummy rubbing.
Who said anything about 2x the bills? I'm simply saying they have more of them because they usually have kids (single guys can just get a 1 bed 1 bath condo vs. the 3 bed 3 bath the married guy w/ 2 kids needs) which negates the fact that they made more money. If you were to add up the total amount of money my folks have spent on me, it'd probably total over $500k (summer camps, tutoring lessons, private high school, college, law school, cars, gifts, food, clothing, etc)

However, the fact that married guys are relegated to one woman for the rest of their lives automatically makes marriage a bad investment. I mean, the reason 95% of all guys want to make more money is to impress women with the hopes of getting them in bed, but if a guy is married, that gets thrown out the window. Might as well move back home with mama dukes and just hang out all day.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about 2x the bills? I'm simply saying they have more of them because they usually have kids which negates the fact that they made more money. If you were to add up the total amount of money my folks have spent on me, it'd probably total over $500k.

However, the fact that married guys are relegated to one woman for the rest of their lives automatically makes marriage a bad investment. I mean, the reason 95% of all guys want to make more money is to impress women with the hopes of getting them in bed, but if a guy is married, that gets thrown out the window.
That might be the case for most guys, I don't know. You said you don't understand why men marry at all and listed reasons. This study is telling you what's going. High income men are marrying high income women. Such couples are always going to out-earn and out save singles because they have more to invest and have lower expenses. Children, again, are independent of this phenomenon. The affluent do have fewer children while the poor and unmarried are having more children (anyone correct me if I'm wrong on that latter part).

Quote:
The trend has a dark side, says Dalton Conley, social sciences dean at New York University. "High-income women marrying high-income men is one of the drivers of inequality," he says. "It affects the distribution of income between families." He notes that among college-educated high-income couples, the divorce rate is getting lower, while unmarried low-income men and women tend to partner up and then uncouple more rapidly. "This leads to family instability and a cycle of disadvantage," says Conley. Single parents often have trouble moving ahead in their careers, while low-earning parents have little income to save or invest. They fall further behind, while the families with two college-educated earners pull ever more ahead.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
That might be the case for most guys, I don't know. You said you don't understand why men marry at all and listed reasons. This study is telling you what's going. High income men are marrying high income women. Such couples are always going to out-earn and out save singles because they have more to invest and have lower expenses. Children, again, are independent of this phenomenon. The affluent do have fewer children while the poor and unmarried are having more children (anyone correct me if I'm wrong on that latter part).
Who cares, though? Great, so they have some extra money, but at the end of the day, a married guy is still going home to his aging, and often out of shape, wife while his single counterparts are down at the bar enjoy the company of the hot chick the married guy was eyeing down last week.

Having extra money as a guy means nothing unless chicks come with it. You could give me $100 million right now, but if I can't use that to get new women, it's pretty much useless.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:14 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post

This might be the best post you've ever written
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships