Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:26 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
Have the guy spend 3 or 4 days elsewhere. And prepare the place, hide things. Simple.
oh good grief
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
You're a grown woman. Start telling her that this is your life and not her's and that you don't care for her particular views and she can keep them to herself. If she call's you out of name, then do the same to her. If she hits you...you hit back.

Don't be scared, that's why they call it s-e-l-f d-e-f-e-n-s-e
It's not really as easy as you would think it is to stand up to a parent who abused you as a child.

The very sound of her mothers voice likely transports her immediately back to a little girl on the inside.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:27 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
oh good grief
I offer real-time, quickfix solutions. Family war is too much of a psychological weight. Should be reserved for a better time.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
When are you getting married?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I offer real-time, quickfix solutions. Family war is too much of a psychological weight. Should be reserved for a better time.
In the grown up world we do not sweep problems under the rug, or hide our live in boyfriends from our parents just to avoid any confrontation

Old 09-09-2012, 08:29 PM

527 posts, read 686,817 times
Bloody hell. I misspelled conservative. But you all understand what I'm saying. Keep the suggestions coming. Ugh. The thought of hearing my mother go off for hours is making me positively ill. I am 24, with a job and Masters degree and this is the only thing that reduces me to a complete mess.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:31 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
In the grown up world we do not sweep problems under the rug, or hide our live in boyfriends from our parents just to avoid any confrontation
You're just projecting. You're not thinking in her shoes. Rather you are spouting off something "you" want her to do. If anything loves, I'll give you a smooch, but not an agreement.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:33 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
Bloody hell. I misspelled conservative. But you all understand what I'm saying. Keep the suggestions coming. Ugh. The thought of hearing my mother go off for hours is making me positively ill. I am 24, with a job and Masters degree and this is the only thing that reduces me to a complete mess.
You are 24, with a master's degree and a job and are perfectly free to hang up the phone or ask your mother to leave your house or simply walk away from her. YOU have just as much power as she does.

Why do you allow them in your life right now? What do they bring to it?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
You're just projecting. You're not thinking in her shoes. Rather you are spouting off something "you" want her to do. If anything loves, I'll give you a smooch, but not an agreement.
If I'm "projecting" it's because I've BEEN in her shoes.

Until she learns to stand up to her parents she will have no peace. She will live with a constant low level of anxiety over what they will do or say next.

Avoidance is not a fix. It's a temporary reprieve and is not a real solution.

Which is why I would hope she would avoid your advice my friend

Old 09-09-2012, 08:38 PM

527 posts, read 686,817 times
[quote=

Why do you allow them in your life right now? What do they bring to it?[/quote]

I don't know really. I didn't talk to my mom for a long time, and it was fine and great. But I felt bad telling people me and my mom were estranged. They always had questions, always made ME feel bad for not speaking to her. "you know you only have one mom, blah blah." But she's not nice to me. She acts like a mom for a small percentage of the time. But she says really mean things and never apologizes. When I was a kid she treated me differently than the rest of my siblings and beat me senseless and guised it as "discipline". I wasn't a bad kid, but she certainly treated me like one.

I guess I'll keep hoping she will change and actually be proud of me or nice to me. And say she was wrong or she was sorry for some of the terrible things she's said and done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships