Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 02:35 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,098,602 times

Advertisements

Thoughts on going to bars alone for this? To meet people and women in general? It seems unavoidably awkwards to approach people who are already in groups and it's just you; it's like you're just butting into their conversation/hang out. I'm not shy, it just is unavoidably awkward/weird and maybe a bit rude.

It's not like I don't have friend to go with, hell, one friend of mine is in a "sarging" meetup group. But I don't think any of them want to go out late, and they might be kinda *******. I took two guys (one of which was mr. sarging) to a match.com mixer, they didn't get any numbers, didn't talk much. I got two could have gotten more with more time/less dilly dallying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 02:42 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,919,159 times
Going to crowded bars/clubs alone (most likely on a Fri/Sat night) only works if you're a really good looking guy. If you're average looking or ugly, you probably won't have a good time and won't meet anyone while you're there. However, if you're just heading down to a small, corner bar to watch the game or something, the above requirements aren't necessary.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Going to crowded bars/clubs alone (most likely on a Fri/Sat night) only works if you're a really good looking guy. If you're average looking or ugly, you probably won't have a good time and won't meet anyone while you're there. However, if you're just heading down to a small, corner bar to watch the game or something, the above requirements aren't necessary.
Pretty much all true. And there are decent-looking guys who wouldn't even go to one. Some people are not bar people, except for the occasional after-work happy hour once in a blue moon just to be sociable.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
Thoughts on going to bars alone for this? To meet people and women in general? It seems unavoidably awkwards to approach people who are already in groups and it's just you; it's like you're just butting into their conversation/hang out. I'm not shy, it just is unavoidably awkward/weird and maybe a bit rude.

It's not like I don't have friend to go with, hell, one friend of mine is in a "sarging" meetup group. But I don't think any of them want to go out late, and they might be kinda *******. I took two guys (one of which was mr. sarging) to a match.com mixer, they didn't get any numbers, didn't talk much. I got two could have gotten more with more time/less dilly dallying
If you do better at match.com mixers, why not stick with what works? Why do random bars? It's a lot easier to approach people at events that are clearly intended for that purpose.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:51 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,140,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
If you're average or even ugly, but have loads of self-confidence, you can be successful going by yourself.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:53 PM

896 posts, read 1,476,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
If you're average or even ugly, but have loads of self-confidence, you can be successful going by yourself.
Way to build his self confidence!

Old 10-05-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Not really. In bars and clubs, women don't know who random guys are and therefore judge them solely on looks. Also, women in bars and clubs are always with their friends, and if a woman doesn't think her friends would approve of him looks-wise (which means he needs to be pretty attractive), she'll probably shun any moves he makes.

There's usually just too much politics involved for an average or ugly guy to do well while alone at the bar or club.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:55 PM

496 posts, read 940,879 times
I don't think it's true that you have to be all elite to go out alone successfully. I'm female, but I used to love going out alone. I usually dressed casually and played down and always met more people out alone than I did when I made dates with friends. I also preferred it because it didn't tie me to any one place and I didn't have to deal with so and so wanting to go here or there when I was actually having a fine time right there a la that scene hopping scene in Swingers (or vice versa). It helps to participate in activities that will mix you with other people (e.g., pool, darts, air hockey, etc.).

ETA: I wasn't going to get numbers or get laid. I was usually going to play pool, have a few drinks, and enjoy meeting some new people. Nonetheless, I always had fun, so mission accomplished. I just realized I was a little OT because the OP is about getting numbers. lol

Old 10-05-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post
I don't think it's true that you have to be all elite to go out alone successfully. I'm female, but I used to love going out alone. I usually dressed casually and played down and always met more people out alone than I did when I made dates with friends. I also preferred it because it didn't tie me to any one place and I didn't have to deal with so and so wanting to go here or there when I was actually having a fine time right there a la that scene hopping scene in Swingers (or vice versa). It helps to participate in activities that will mix you with other people (e.g., pool, darts, air hockey, etc.).
You're a female so the rules don't apply. You could show up in a bathrobe and slippers and at least a few guys would try to talk to you. However, that does not work for men.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:01 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,140,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
Way to build his self confidence!
I wasn't talking about him...hehe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships