Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you care if a man has a job?
I do care 21 61.76%
I don't care 1 2.94%
If he is actively looking I'll give him a chance 11 32.35%
I'll wait until he has a job 1 2.94%
If he has money in the bank I'll date him 4 11.76%
I don't care as long as he can pay for the dates 1 2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times

Advertisements

When I was in my 20s I didn't really care. If I were single now I would care. If my husband were to lose his job, god forbid, he'd work at McD's and grab a paper route if he had to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 01:27 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Well... I opted for giving him a chance because:
There could be many reasons why he is not working right now, and as long he is not a bum and used to have a steady job, there is a hope he will get one again.
A guy should be not expected to spend a lots of money on the date. What about a cheap but a quality time together, well spent to learn about each other?
A cup of coffee, a walk in the park ... and an interesting conversation means to me way more than a boring evening in an exclusive restaurant, or two hours in a movie...
And - I dont think there is anything wrong with a girl paying for a cup of coffee if the guy is indeed hot, interesting AND serious about getting a job, and she thinks he is worth to wait till he gets one.
Otherwise it looks like girls are just suckers and users, and all they care is to date a guy with fat wallet and bank account...

Old 10-19-2012, 01:41 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,161,433 times
The attempts at parody on this forum aren't very subtle.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 PM

20 posts, read 71,441 times
Yes, having a job and a comfortable stream of income is more about the money and what it can buy. What they do and esp. how they got there shows a great deal of ambition, intelligence, and other characteristics that's important to me. The money is just the icing on the cake. Really, sweet and yummy icing.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:04 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well... I opted for giving him a chance because:
There could be many reasons why he is not working right now, and as long he is not a bum and used to have a steady job, there is a hope he will get one again.
A guy should be not expected to spend a lots of money on the date. What about a cheap but a quality time together, well spent to learn about each other?
A cup of coffee, a walk in the park ... and an interesting conversation means to me way more than a boring evening in an exclusive restaurant, or two hours in a movie...
And - I dont think there is anything wrong with a girl paying for a cup of coffee if the guy is indeed hot, interesting AND serious about getting a job, and she thinks he is worth to wait till he gets one.
Otherwise it looks like girls are just suckers and users, and all they care is to date a guy with fat wallet and bank account...

eehhh........there is plenty of time for cheap quality after you get married...LOL

Honestly, the whole job thing is important but it does not have to me him making a massive amount of money, stable, responsible, not in debt, current on everything, everything paid on time and a bit in savings and some spending money just for fun. I like the cheap stuff better than really expensive stuff anyway.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:21 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If the guy doesn't have a job, like you said, how about women paying for his meals and drinks and other dating expenses?

Old 10-19-2012, 03:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
I think there's a difference between unemployed and lazy and unemployed, but actively seeking employment.

I'd date a guy with no job if he was out looking. In earnest.

I don't care who pays for what. It's a non issue to me. I care if I'm with someone who has any sort of drive to succeed. Even if his goal is to be a window washer. I don't want someone who wants to be a window washer, yet spends all his time (and my money) sitting around doing nothing.

I was married to a guy who turned into that once. If he hadn't had parents who believed in helping out our family, we would've lost most of what we had. I was a teacher back then, and they don't make much.

He and I eventually divorced. I think he's still mad that I finished grad school, started making a very good salary, and I'm not supporting his lazy ass.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:22 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
If the guy doesn't have a job, like you said, how about women paying for his meals and drinks and other dating expenses?
Fine by me. Is he looking for work ?

Old 10-19-2012, 03:52 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,112,026 times
Depends on the circumstances. But probably not.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
He could be wealthy and does not need to work.
No aimless trust fund kids for me. For me the appeal of having a job is tied to the idea of ambition. Now if you are independently wealthy and have some worthwhile projects going on, that is OK too. But basically doing nothing productive all the time? No thanks. I could do it for a month or maybe 2. Then I'd be bored out my mind. And I need a similar person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships