Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 06:26 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I don't know who you are, but I highly doubt you are smarter than Donald Trump.

The rest of the people on your list all have looks ... in great quantity, so they're not applicable. In fact, you could say they became successful because of their looks.
I know people better looking than all of those people who do not have their wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,182,603 times
I don't really care what a woman's profession is, if she went to college, if she makes money, etc... i could care less. As long as she is a nice person, i don't really care about these other qualifications. However, she does have to be able to hold a conversation. I don't think i would be happy with a boring person. I want her to have some opinions and some interesting perspectives.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:00 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,182,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
Personally, when it comes to men, I don't pay much heed to the typical definition of "successful", i.e. a high-paying, high status profession. However, I enjoy intelligence. So in other words, the two are not one and the same.

As for less than brilliant women; I know some women who are far from geniuses but are sweet, thoughtful, and giving, and there are more than a few men who enjoy being with them for just that reason. I have a tough time criticizing these men for it.
I'd be very content with a woman who is sweet, thoughtful, and giving, but not a genius

Old 10-26-2012, 09:07 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
I finally watched the YouTube. This girl is dumber than a box of rocks. I'm sure that, on the other hand, even if she wasn't a "celebrity" (never heard of her) and just worked at the mall, she'd get plenty of dates ... and a meal ticket out of the mall.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:10 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Sattar View Post
Men that have been attracted to me have always been way to intelligent for myself. I don't know why guys keep thinking that I am very intelligent when I'm not. I tried dating a guy that was too intelligent and it didn't work out. I couldn't understand what he was saying to me half the time.
LOL! People judge intelligence by looks. Good-looking people tend to be deemed intelligent by others, plainer people tend to be judged as not too bright. Of course, this has nothing to do with reality, but that's how it works. So you must be good-looking.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:36 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,639,915 times
In my opinion intelligence/success counting in dating depends on your gender and what you're pursuing.

If you're a gal then it means sh*t as most guys approach based on physical/sexual attraction and likely only care about intelligence to the point of not being mentally deficient and don't care about a gal's success at all with rare exceptions. I highly doubt most guys care for an intelligent connection with gals considering how often it seems most think gals aren't intelligent.

If you're a guy then intelligence matters depending on who you pursue and success matters a lot.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:41 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
I don't care about success. At least not in the context of financial wealth or professional accomplishment. I provide for my own needs, and I expect my partner to do the same for themselves - not an exceptional requirement. But brains? I can't do without that. I need brains. (Why do I always end up sounding like a zombie?)

That said, there are many kinds of intelligence, and I'm willing to consider them all. One guy I knew was not very bright, intellectually speaking; nor was he very educated. But he was a skilled craftsman and possessed one of the kindest hearts and highest levels of emotional intelligence I have ever encountered. He was taken, but if he'd have been single? I'd have dated him in a heartbeat.

Basically, I just need something my own intellect can hook into or respect. Emotional intelligence, creativity, academic interests, intellectual curiosity, musical talent---SOMETHING.

But success? That's just a very arbitrary measure. When I was working for an investment bank, the most "successful" people employed there were often the most dysfunctional in their personal lives. When I was going to private school, the most "successful" dads were usually the ones who ended up trading in their wives for their 20-something secretaries. I will never, ever date anyone who can't keep up with me in terms of intelligence. But success doesn't factor into the equation at all - as long as you are an independent, mature and self-sufficient adult, that's all I need to know.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:41 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
People judge intelligence by looks. Good-looking people tend to be deemed intelligent by others, plainer people tend to be judged as not too bright.
I don't agree with this at all. Even Braun had an argument with me on this once.

I think that good-looking people, of the "hot" variety, are viewed as less intelligent.
I think that good-looking people, of the clean-cut/wholesome variety, are viewed as more intelligent.
I think that plainer people are viewed all over the map on this one.

Here's another thing. Some people were born with an aristocratic look and into a commensurately monied family. I doubt that these people are going to be lacking in terms of access to better schooling.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:20 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't agree with this at all. Even Braun had an argument with me on this once.

I think that good-looking people, of the "hot" variety, are viewed as less intelligent.
I think that good-looking people, of the clean-cut/wholesome variety, are viewed as more intelligent.
I think that plainer people are viewed all over the map on this one.

Here's another thing. Some people were born with an aristocratic look and into a commensurately monied family. I doubt that these people are going to be lacking in terms of access to better schooling.
I agree, but from what I've experienced the more homely, clean-cut people are viewed as more intelligent because people assume they focused on school because they aren't attractive. Attractive people really don't have to be smart because society doesn't expect it from them, they get ahead just by being present.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:30 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I agree, but from what I've experienced the more homely, clean-cut people are viewed as more intelligent because people assume they focused on school because they aren't attractive. Attractive people really don't have to be smart because society doesn't expect it from them, they get ahead just by being present.
IDK, all I know is I've read about studies that have been done on this, and it says that good-looking people are taken for more intelligent. But maybe that wasn't definitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships