Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:43 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,589 times

Advertisements

Teenagers use the term these days to refer to something that's not mainstream, or somewhat tacky. It's got nothing to do with homosexuality or a slur on anyone.

The term 'gay' used to mean 'happy' in the latter part of the 1800's to the mid 1900's. Hence the term 'Gay 90's' (referring to the 1890's). It was widely used by everyone of that time, in conversation and song, to describe feelings of elation. It came to be more widely used by homosexuals around that same period as a means of identifying each other in an environment that was becoming increasingly intolerant of them. When meeting someone they thought may also be homosexual, they would say, 'I'm feeling gay today'. That is how the term became synonymous with homosexuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,375 times
I've noticed this on CD and it always bothers me. Saying silly things like "I don't like colored pants on a man because it screams gay to me" is just plain idiotic. But I have to remind myself of a couple things when that happens:

1. It's the Internet. Though people will swear what they say here is the same as what they'd say to our faces, it isn't really. The freedom of anonymity and open debate leads to people making more extreme claims than they would in a different context.

2. The age range on this particular site is a bit older and age brings a conservative mindset. Though they defended the fads of their youth as hip and attractive, they have no attachment to the fads of today's youth. So a person who thinks skinny jeans look gay might have thought flannel and baggy ripped jeans were dead sexy. While their parents thought they looked like dirty bums but that feathered hair, bellbottoms, and platform shoes were the height of cool. Basically, take fashion advice from the older and younger generations with a grain of salt because it might not apply to you.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:55 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I've noticed this on CD and it always bothers me. Saying silly things like "I don't like colored pants on a man because it screams gay to me" is just plain idiotic. But I have to remind myself of a couple things when that happens:

1. It's the Internet. Though people will swear what they say here is the same as what they'd say to our faces, it isn't really. The freedom of anonymity and open debate leads to people making more extreme claims than they would in a different context.

2. The age range on this particular site is a bit older and age brings a conservative mindset. Though they defended the fads of their youth as hip and attractive, they have no attachment to the fads of today's youth. So a person who thinks skinny jeans look gay might have thought flannel and baggy ripped jeans were dead sexy. While their parents thought they looked like dirty bums but that feathered hair, bellbottoms, and platform shoes were the height of cool. Basically, take fashion advice from the older and younger generations with a grain of salt because it might not apply to you.
Wise observations.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,192,758 times
I think the word we are looking for is 'effeminate'

Old 11-18-2012, 09:19 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:

Different strokes. I could introduce you to my son's crowd (all are in the 18 to 20 range) and you'd not find one pair of jeans hanging off their butts or one pair of skinny jeans. And they wouldn't dare wear a pair of flannel pj's out in public. I'm pretty happy that my kid and his friends dislike those looks...and yep - they do call the skinny jeans "gay".

Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Different strokes. I could introduce you to my son's crowd (all are in the 18 to 20 range) and you'd not find one pair of jeans hanging off their butts or one pair of skinny jeans. And they wouldn't dare wear a pair of flannel pj's out in public. I'm pretty happy that my kid and his friends dislike those looks...and yep - they do call the skinny jeans "gay".
Uh, so you're basing your knowledge entirely on a single group of friends? We tend to make friends similar to ourselves so it's no surprise that your son and his friends don't represent the diversity of his generation. I'm not much older than he is and have had friends who wore skinny jeans, baggy jeans, khakis, pink pants with tiny alligators all over, the whole shebang. And overall, it's not cool with many of them to call any article of clothing gay. It's close minded and hateful, even when you don't mean it to be.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:41 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Uh, so you're basing your knowledge entirely on a single group of friends? We tend to make friends similar to ourselves so it's no surprise that your son and his friends don't represent the diversity of his generation. I'm not much older than he is and have had friends who wore skinny jeans, baggy jeans, khakis, pink pants with tiny alligators all over, the whole shebang. And overall, it's not cool with many of them to call any article of clothing gay. It's close minded and hateful, even when you don't mean it to be.
Uh, no, dude. I gave AN EXAMPLE in response to that SPECIFIC post. I am basing in on my own experiences...in real life, in the media, online...everywhere. And my point was that for you to consider everyone that has such opinions, to be close-minded or "old", is absurd. And as far as using the "gay" term, there is nothing close-minded or hateful about it. The fact that you find it to be so, is more indicative of your own emotional issues than anyone elses.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:45 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times
Any woman who considers any particular trait or behavior "gay" is suspect in my opinion. Especially something like long hair...what year is this? So I guess that explains why so many women find Johnny Depp unattractive? What I've found is that when you ask 10 women what they find attractive you get 100 different answers depends on what day it is and the phase of the moon(literally).

Most of the women I'd suspect of the sort of behavior you describe are sorta backward. I wouldn't be surprised to find it pretty common in my small southern hometown.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Uh, no, dude. I gave AN EXAMPLE in response to that SPECIFIC post. I am basing in on my own experiences...in real life, in the media, online...everywhere. And my point was that for you to consider everyone that has such opinions, to be close-minded or "old", is absurd. And as far as using the "gay" term, there is nothing close-minded or hateful about it. The fact that you find it to be so, is more indicative of your own emotional issues than anyone elses.
Ah, you misread my post. I did not say that people who think skinny jeans etc are gay are old, I said that older people are less accepting of changing trends in fashion which is why this site has so many folks vehemently declaring certain youthful trends and behaviors as unattractive. You had your own style trends that your parents probably hated and they had theirs that their parents hated. It should come as a surprise to no one that the crowd on this site doesn't care for current trends.

And no, really, it's hateful and close minded to use gay as a slur.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:49 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
I have long hair, way down my back.

So women think I'm gay......

One of the nice things about hitting the 40's.... I just don't give a........ anymore......

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships