Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:53 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Stop being a cuckold and become a man. Stop being a doormat there for emotional support, but nothing else. Stop sitting there in the white knight role as a shoulder to cry on.

Didn't any males in your life teach you about being a real man? Don't be the gay plutonic friend they have always needed who broods quietly in the corner.
This is an interesting post for me because I'm assuming most American males, at least a few decades or so ago, had pretty good male coaches or role models for dating purposes. Either it was an uncle, a father, a brother or a friend.

I feel like in Asian culture there's no such thing. When one is in their teens the focus is still on education, the father is only a role model in the economic and moral sense. Generally they tell their kids what to do in terms of college and career, but never women, it's always assumed that the women part will come later, that he will find a nice girl of respectable background once his financial future is stable. Of course when the kid gets packed off to college in a Western country, usually the US or the UK...all of his conceptions about dating are blown out of the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
I don't think being friends first is a bad thing. I've had some really good friends that I ended up hooking up with. There's a few rules:

1) Don't bank on it working. Be okay with being just friends.
2) Date other girls.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:02 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,120,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
This is an interesting post for me because I'm assuming most American males, at least a few decades or so ago, had pretty good male coaches or role models for dating purposes. Either it was an uncle, a father, a brother or a friend.

I feel like in Asian culture there's no such thing. When one is in their teens the focus is still on education, the father is only a role model in the economic and moral sense. Generally they tell their kids what to do in terms of college and career, but never women, it's always assumed that the women part will come later, that he will find a nice girl of respectable background once his financial future is stable. Of course when the kid gets packed off to college in a Western country, usually the US or the UK...all of his conceptions about dating are blown out of the water.
I never got any worthwhile advice from my dad in this area. He mostly just said, wait till they come to you. So, I pretty much had to figure this stuff out on my own.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:19 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe'sTavern View Post
I never got any worthwhile advice from my dad in this area. He mostly just said, wait till they come to you. So, I pretty much had to figure this stuff out on my own.
Similar in my case. My mom and dad both came from a different era of dating, so not much of their advice could really help me very much. Especially my dad, being white in SEA, automatically inflates your dating value tenfold. It's prejudiced but that's how it is, he gets treated like royalty even today, so he never really needed to develop any "game."

Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
My dad gave me some sage advice and told me stories of him getting rejected. He always said that for every one that rejected him, there were two that said yes... so you never know. IT all didn't really click for me until college, before then I was not adept lol

Old 12-08-2012, 12:46 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe'sTavern View Post
You can get to know her while stickin it in her butt. I don't see the issue here.
He can but only if she lets him.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:00 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,120,474 times
Touché

Old 12-08-2012, 07:56 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Stop being a cuckold and become a man. Stop being a doormat there for emotional support, but nothing else. Stop sitting there in the white knight role as a shoulder to cry on.

Didn't any males in your life teach you about being a real man? Don't be the gay plutonic friend they have always needed who broods quietly in the corner.
**** balls, **** masculinity, seriously, why is it that whenever a guy whines, complains, rants, it makes him look weak, pathetic, less of a man, but never the other way around?

Old 12-08-2012, 07:57 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
**** balls, **** masculinity, seriously, why is it that whenever a guy whines, complains, rants, it makes him look weak, pathetic, less of a man, but never the other way around?

Because when women do it, it makes them sound annoying and stupid.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:02 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
He can but only if she lets him.
Not necessarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships