Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What does feminism have to do with race or economic class?
Everything. Feminist destroyed the black family by telling black women that they didn't "need a man" to the point that now 70% of black babies are born out of wed lock.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:39 PM

206 posts, read 269,146 times
This is just a pointless semantic debate. Most people aren't against equal treatment of women. Most people are against manhating psychos. The fact that the term feminist could be used to describe a person who ascribes to either position is the root of the conflict.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 PM

102,200 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
The "dreaded 'f' word", I know...

What do some men have against feminism/feminists?

I have been wondering this for quite a while. I read quite a bit and notice so much anti-feminism rhetoric. I've noticed a lot around here that the word "feminism" is treated as if the plague has just hit. And then there's the "Men's Rights" movement, which is a whole different can of worms.

But, what's the deal? Why do some men (and apparently some women) hate feminism?

ETA: How does feminism affect your dating options?

I, personally, don't date men who aren't feminists.
A lot of men don't understand feminism. There are a lot of misconceptions about it. Like one poster here who blamed feminism for TV shows that show men as buffoons. That's ridiculous, of course. That schtick was around long before feminism. There's a lot of hysteria about feminism. Rational people support equal rights and equal pay, and respectful treatment for all members of the human family. It's pretty simple, really.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,132,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Everything. Feminist destroyed the black family by telling black women that they didn't "need a man" to the point that now 70% of black babies are born out of wed lock.
Methinks someone is just making **** up. Where do you get your information? Sources please.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Oh, yeah. Black women take their commands from some fanatical White female fringe (that doesn't really exist), because we all know they're too stupid to make up their own minds about what's best for them.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:43 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,132,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A lot of men don't understand feminism. There are a lot of misconceptions about it. Like one poster here who blamed feminism for TV shows that show men as buffoons. That's ridiculous, of course. That schtick was around long before feminism. There's a lot of hysteria about feminism. Rational people support equal rights and equal pay, and respectful treatment for all members of the human family. It's pretty simple, really.
I completely agree, and it's becoming more apparent. It's sad, really.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:45 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Quote:
Was it feminism that caused that? Or is it hypermasculinity that tells men that sticking around to raise a family is too 'feminine' and that to be accepted you have to be hooking up with multiple women and have multiple 'baby mamas'?

Old 11-19-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I would never date a feminist. I steer clear of them like the plague. Why would I want to spend my free time with someone who hates men?
To answer the OP's question, this is why men are hysterical about "feminists". ^^^ Wild misconceptions re: what feminism is. The fact of the matter is that most men have dated feminists, have had LTR's with feminists, and many are married to feminists, without even knowing it. Feminists are just people who believe women should have equal pay, equal career opportunities, and equal rights with men. Like being able to open their own checking accounts, for example. Women didn't used to be allowed to do that.

Where are all these man-haters, anyway? They're like the bogeyman, they don't really exist.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Was it feminism that caused that? Or is it hypermasculinity that tells men that sticking around to raise a family is too 'feminine' and that to be accepted you have to be hooking up with multiple women and have multiple 'baby mamas'?
Feminism is the liberation of men from hypermasculinity, as well as the extension of rights to women. This idea isn't going to play well to a crowd that's quick to label good men as "White Knights", though....

Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,187,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, yeah. Black women take their commands from some fanatical White female fringe (that doesn't really exist), because we all know they're too stupid to make up their own minds about what's best for them.
That is the argument that's made. People are just too stupid to know any better, to think for themselves. They're all told.

My grandmother came to this country when she was 17 years old (peasant from Southern Italy) and she got a job, started to learn English, etc. She met my grandfather who was 18 and over here from Italy as well. He got a job as garbage man. She worked through out her life, had her own money, but was not allowed to purchase a home without his signature. He wasn't allowing it. It didn't matter that she was paying for the whole thing. So, she signed his name without his knowledge, got the home, and told him to come along if he likes but she's going. She didn't need anyone to tell her scratch. It was just in her to take a stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships