Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Not one of those women were "girly girls" or even what I'd call attractive. Man-jaws abound.

Also, those figures showing women making xx of $1 that men make, that's not for equal work. Men work about 60% more hours annually than women do, in higher paying jobs like STEM fields, and also riskier jobs. Men make up 92% of workplace deaths in the US. Risk = money.

Bottom line, if women want to make the kind of money men make, they need to work the kind of jobs and kind of hours men make. That means stopping taking off 3-6 years to raise kids, stop taking low-risk cushy office jobs, and get your butts out on the oil rigs, up on construction sites, and so on.
And you do realize that women rarely get the high profile projects that lead to a promotion. And women are also punished more harshly for failures.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:36 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
And you do realize that women rarely get the high profile projects that lead to a promotion. And women are also punished more harshly for failures.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Do you have examples of this? Any evidence to back it up? My supervisor at my last job was a woman, department head female. CEO was a male.

Is society preventing women from getting promotions? Or is it women choosing a lifestyle that involves raising kids and working fewer hours?

I would like to see some examples of society actually preventing women from achieving equal things. The pay gap sounds really bad, but if women are working fewer hours and taking time off to raise kids, that seems like it would explain a lot of it.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:42 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
The only place feminism has come up negatively in my life has been online. My best friend and her husband call themselves feminists. They are both really political and feel very strongly about human rights. Other than that - I don't think I've ever heard it come up. I don't think I've ever referred to myself as a feminist nor have I ever really discussed it with anyone. It's not really an issue in my field and I'd say that most people that I come into contact believe in equal rights for women and don't hate women. That being said - in my book, anyone that believes that women should have equal rights under the law is a feminist. All this stuff about who pays for dates, who earns the money, etc. - to me that's about personal choices and not about personal rights. I think that because of feminism - everyone now has more choices about their dating and love life - but those are still choices. I'm a stay at home mom right now. My husband and I made the choice that was best for us.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Do you have examples of this? Any evidence to back it up?
Here is a study from last week:
Women Offered Fewer Career-Advancing

And here is my post from earlier in the thread that also has an article about the differences in casting blame by ethnic group/gender:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/27022144-post78.html

And this is just recent news. I see a new study along these lines every year or so.

And let's not even mention the makeup requirement for success for women:
Wear More Lipstick To Get A Promotion? - Forbes

The only good news? Younger women are pretty close, and the pay gap is mostly eliminated. But this won't last long, as there aren't so many women on the track for the bigger jobs.

Here is more perspective on the pay gap: Why Are Women Paid Less? - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
I think people have an objection more to the connotation of the word than the actual practicalities of feminism. After all, few people would want women to lose their right to vote, their right to own property, their right to self governing over their own body or their right to earn the same as men for the same job.

I would never use the word in real life. It's more of an academic word used on forums for me.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:12 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Feminist movement had a great purpose and has accomplished some great things as far as gender equality goes. However, today there is really no reason for its existance, and it has been mostly damaging to our society in todays world, including gender relations. Its basicaly a group of unattractive, flannel wearing bitter women, hating men.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:15 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Feminist movement had a great purpose and has accomplished some great things as far as gender equality goes. However, today there is really no reason for its existance, and it has been mostly damaging to our society in todays world, including gender relations. Its basicaly a group of unattractive, flannel wearing bitter women, hating men.
Yeah, including biases in the family court system and divorce courts. And men can't even have their own male-only spaces these days otherwise it's considered discrimination.

If men speak up on gender issues, they'll be protested or interrupted by feminists.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:19 AM

Well here is a super interesting article about gender relations and gay men. Gay male privilege if you will:
Gay Men’s Sexism and Women’s Bodies | The Current Conscience

A high percentage of women have had gay men comment on looks, body shape and even escalate to touching their breasts etc. The gay men think it is "harmless" since they aren't interested in that way, and don't consider how this could be a violation or offensive to the women involved.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Here is a study from last week:
Women Offered Fewer Career-Advancing

And here is my post from earlier in the thread that also has an article about the differences in casting blame by ethnic group/gender:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/27022144-post78.html

And this is just recent news. I see a new study along these lines every year or so.

And let's not even mention the makeup requirement for success for women:
Wear More Lipstick To Get A Promotion? - Forbes

The only good news? Younger women are pretty close, and the pay gap is mostly eliminated. But this won't last long, as there aren't so many women on the track for the bigger jobs.

Here is more perspective on the pay gap: Why Are Women Paid Less? - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

Hmm... thanks. I like the first article. Women getting projects with significantly lower budgets and lower exposure to management. That seems like something that would significantly hinder a woman's prospects for career advancement. I don't get how these companies can survive, if they are being discriminatory and not putting the best people on the best projects. Men getting more than double the budget of women for a project... that's definitely a problem.

The lipstick thing i can't really support you on. Women have been using their looks to their benefit forever. Now all of a sudden they want to spin it around and say it's discrimination. I bet there are studies showing that if a man wears a nicer suit, more cologne, or some kind of superficial thing, that the man will get more promotions too.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:26 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
If men speak up on gender issues, they'll be protested or interrupted by feminists.
You mean, "women". They'll be interrupted by women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships