Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:14 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,156,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I'm a social cripple...where does that rate on the scale?
I'd say a 3.

Myself I hate being sociable, which may well be a hinderance to meeting them in the first place but then if I ever was single again it'd most probably be a permanent thing. I really couldn't be arsed with playing games.

If I met someone by accident, well, great I suppose but I certainly wouldn't go looking, balls to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 10:17 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,206,877 times
I find it's not how big your baggage is, but the color of the luggage you drag it around in.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:25 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,087,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The amount in a guy's 401K is a dealbreaker for you at age 39?

3 to 6% of your salary plus 50% for what like 15 years of working?

That's like 100K for the average person if they kept the same job since the start. That's not a lot of $. The bulk of your retirement has to come from other sources.
Yes, at 39 he should have a good chunk of change for retirement. I plan to retire in my mid-50's and I would want my SO to be able to do the same. If he can't, we won't be well matched. Some folks are savers/investors and some folks are spenders. Nothing wrong with either but I would want an SO to be on the same page with me.

And while I stated 401K...I meant retirement funds/savings in general.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:56 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,113,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Yes, at 39 he should have a good chunk of change for retirement. I plan to retire in my mid-50's and I would want my SO to be able to do the same. If he can't, we won't be well matched. Some folks are savers/investors and some folks are spenders. Nothing wrong with either but I would want an SO to be on the same page with me.

And while I stated 401K...I meant retirement funds/savings in general.
That's ambitious.

With four kids, I really can't see how you guys can put enough away to retire at 55. That's assuming you're married and that you've both been socking away at least 10% of your salary since you started working PLUS 401K, PLUS good investing. It still wouldn't be enough. You are looking at funding 25-30 years of living. Unless you guys are like a doctor/investment banker couple.

I mean, social security is crumbling. You can't count on that.

This the the wrong forum for this discussion, but I made a couple of posts in the retirement forum regarding this kind of thing. You might want to do the same.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:04 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,392,821 times
I have a Mother I will be responsible for. -1
I have four children, they are all self supporting adults, but family is family. My son is in the Army, he could come home with a brain injury or something...who knows. -4
I have student loans. -1
I have a good job. +1
No kids at home.+1

I guess I am in the negative. You never can predict the future.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:04 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,672,043 times
Divorced with two teenage children. Emotional, clingy and sensitive. Possessive and sometimes insecure. Whimsical and silly way too often.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:11 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,163,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Divorced with two teenage children. Emotional, clingy and sensitive. Possessive and sometimes insecure. Whimsical and silly way too often.
Sounds exactly like me!

Except for the kids and divorce part. Yeah.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:19 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,672,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Sounds exactly like me!

Except for the kids and divorce part. Yeah.
Maybe I should change my name to 'Inebriated Duck II'.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:31 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,214,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
And, how much baggage is an acceptable amount in another (potential)?

And, what is it? (Don't have to answer that one..)
It really depends on the dynamics of the relationship. I am paranoid about being seen as some sort of live-in maid again. If we're not living together or married, it's irrelevant. Likewise, if I'm with a similarly neat person, it would also be irrelevant--I would hope. But if a slob asked me to live with or marry him, then it would matter. So I guess maybe then it would be a 3 or 4. Other than that, I do not have baggage because I do not blame my current man for what the men before him said and did.

As far as someone else's baggage is concerned, I wouldn't tolerate a whole lot of baggage. You could say I'm baggage-intolerant. Just as I don't blame my current for what other men have said and done, I would not want to be blamed for what other women have said and done.

Also, I am really not sure why people are bringing kids, income, etc., into it unless those things are directly related to experience with the behavior of an ex. I take baggage to mean "fears or negative emotions incurred because of past experiences with other partners."

Last edited by Lilac110; 11-24-2012 at 11:41 AM..

Old 11-24-2012, 11:53 AM

52,309 posts, read 52,777,716 times
I think to answer this question would require an intensely self aware person.

I haven't met that many people I would say is that aware of themselves.....

5 or 6 for myself, but as I referenced..... maybe I don't have enough self awareness to answer the question properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships