Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,736 times

Advertisements

I've never understood my attraction to awkward guys, and I'm not sure if I've ever found any patterns. The only pattern I've found is that as an INFJ, I'm almost always attracted to men who are INTPs. That's basically the personality type of an absent minded professor. The types of guys who are awkward because socializing is like a foreign idea to them, but they can be completely immersed in a hobby and can go on lengthy, monologue style tangents on one aspect of their hobby.
Something about a guy who has a hard time socializing is fascinating and attractive to me, but I have no idea why that is. It's not just an emotional attraction, but a physical one as well. If I see a guy stuttering or making strange movements because he's unsure of himself, I want to make out with him at that very moment. I think it may have to do with a need for power or control, I feel like that type of person could also be unsure in the bedroom, and so I can teach, or just take control. I'm often surprised when it turns out that they're a total dynamo in the bedroom, but I like that too. So...Yeah, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 07:57 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,726 times
There is a difference between being shy and insecure, and being introverted. Not the same thing.

And yes, lots of women like confidence. You don't have to be extroverted to be confident.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:00 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscuraGal View Post
I've never understood my attraction to awkward guys, and I'm not sure if I've ever found any patterns. The only pattern I've found is that as an INFJ, I'm almost always attracted to men who are INTPs. That's basically the personality type of an absent minded professor. The types of guys who are awkward because socializing is like a foreign idea to them, but they can be completely immersed in a hobby and can go on lengthy, monologue style tangents on one aspect of their hobby.
Something about a guy who has a hard time socializing is fascinating and attractive to me, but I have no idea why that is. It's not just an emotional attraction, but a physical one as well. If I see a guy stuttering or making strange movements because he's unsure of himself, I want to make out with him at that very moment. I think it may have to do with a need for power or control, I feel like that type of person could also be unsure in the bedroom, and so I can teach, or just take control. I'm often surprised when it turns out that they're a total dynamo in the bedroom, but I like that too. So...Yeah, I don't know.
You are a dream girl to so many guys out there. Lots of shy awkward men like a dominating, take charge type woman, mostly because that's the only woman they will ever get with. The rest of the women are standing around waiting to get swept off their feet.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:28 AM

957 posts, read 1,060,564 times
Very few.

Take it from a guy who was 30 before his first relationship I'm still shy but I'm way more outgoing and friendly now. I make it point to casually talk to random people and I force myself to do something out of my comfort zone every chance I get. It sucks being born wired a little different from the rest of society, shyness just isn't an attractive trait. I'll always be shy but I've finally found out how to hide it.

I wish I would've started working out and agreeing to hangout with people in my teens, I'm definitely 10-15 years behind my peers, socially. Maybe it's good though, who knows how things would've turned out.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:35 AM

545 posts, read 632,503 times
I think the problem with girls who are attracted to shy guys is they are both too inept to make it work without some random heroic act on one of their parts or just something random in general.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:00 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
I started becoming interested in shy guys say around middle school when I got tired of the loud obnoxious ones going out of their way to humiliate me. It just happened that way I guess, but I'll add that it's never worked out for me.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:02 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,971 times
In my experience, women that are MORE interested in shy guys are the ones that prefer to "wear the pants", so to speak. They like to be in control and see those kinds of men as having more "doormat" potential. Whether they're right or not is a different topic altogether, but that's what I've seen.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:42 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
Most young women look at guys who are shy as boring. Those guys tend to not have much friends and aren't very social. They want guys who are fun,exiting, and can entertain them.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:55 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Most young women look at guys who are shy as boring. Those guys tend to not have much friends and aren't very social. They want guys who are fun,exiting, and can entertain them.
I'd consider myself shy, or more introverted at the very least. I have some social anxiety. But I open up in a short amount of time; it's not like I'm a clam at all times. I have plenty of friends who enjoy my company. I can entertain a woman, and have done so often in the past and present.

The girls that seemed to pursue me more diligently were more aggressive by nature. I think maybe they looked at it as a challenge.

You can be shy or reserved, and still lead a fun, exciting, or interesting life. There are different levels of shyness though. I've met people at social outings who you could tell were forcing themselves to be there. They just did not seem comfortable at all. People like that may have a more difficult time, but they represent extreme cases.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:00 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
When I was a teenager/college student, I was always intrigued by the shy/quiet/awkward guys who stood on the sidelines, and would often go for those guys, because they were more interesting to me than the more outgoing guys who put it all out there. Part of it is that I always found the "life of the party" guys to be attentionwhores and annoying in that regard. A big part of it was being intrigued at being the one who got to take apart the puzzle piece by piece. Another part was that I probably at some level felt smug at the idea of finding the diamond in the rough that got overlooked, and at being the girl with enough insight to recognize it.

The problem I ran into with this approach is that sometimes you do get that diamond in the rough, and other times, you get guys with significant social problems, even mental health issues, etc. that weigh heavily on a relationship, ultimately. Sometimes shy, awkward guys are just introverted, but are still capable of having healthy relationships. Sometime, shy, awkward guys have a manageable level of social anxiety that can be worked with, sometimes, they have it to a crippling level. Sometimes shy, awkward guys are people who have major deficits in relating healthily to others.

"Reserved" is a different animal than "crippled by social anxiety." Learning how to tell the difference was something I got better with with age, but as I got older, I increasingly became drawn to more outgoing, interactive, affable guys. There's also a question of resources, and allocation of time and effort. Do I really want to spend ages peeling away the layers of intriguing, inscrutable guy who seems to prefer to keep those layers tightly wrapped, only to find, after all the time and effort allotted, that there's nothing much there? Nah. I still don't go for center-of-attention guy, but somebody who's forthright, outgoing, earnest, and friendly, versus brooding on the edges of things and expecting to have somebody else put in all the effort to draw him out? Any day. I married forthright, outgoing, earnest, and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships