Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date a guy that played video games?
Yes, I would it does not bother me. 35 64.81%
No, I wouldn't because it is too childish 19 35.19%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:01 PM

681 posts, read 618,759 times

Advertisements

[quote=zentropa;27537249]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandate_of_Heaven View Post

Are you in danger of going into menopause?
[quote=JaybirdX;27537301]
Quote:

Clock ticking?
No, im not. I guess i just had a life plan that hasn't worked out exactly the way that I wanted to and I am not wanting to waste time on just "hanging out" Some of these people are younger and they are not at the point of life where I am. They are just content with playing games and just "existing", well I am not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 01:04 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,435 times
Quote:
Good post! I myself have wondered if I am indeed wasting my time because I really want to learn italian and french and my goal was to learn a foreign language every few years or so. I do like to read about history and I would like to learn more about computers. I think that I constantly battle with myself between real and tangible things that I could learn vs. the fantasy realm that I escape to when I power up my machine. I have thought of so many times of just selling it and I still never decided if that was what I was going to do. I do think it needs to be done in moderation and it's hard when you have games like COD that can last a while, especially if you are trying to prestige.
Well then cut down on the the time and do those things and relax. Its only a waste of time if you feel its a waste of time. I play video games a lot and I'm 100% sure its beyond the threshold a majority of the post on this thread and forum find acceptable. I don't see it as a waste of time and enjoy them with my self or friends. If you want do this stuff do because you want to not to show or prove your doing something with your life. In fact I say learn a new language and make it to prestige on COD if you like.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:11 PM

681 posts, read 618,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
Well then cut down on the the time and do those things and relax. Its only a waste of time if you feel its a waste of time. I play video games a lot and I'm 100% sure its beyond the threshold a majority of the post on this thread and forum find acceptable. I don't see it as a waste of time and enjoy them with my self or friends. If you want do this stuff do because you want to not to show or prove your doing something with your life. In fact I say learn a new language and make it to prestige on COD if you like.
yeah but not spanish...ugh the people that speak spanish on there..it's so ghetto..i mute them half the time and refuse to speak it. They speak it horribly.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:13 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My opinion is that video games are indeed, childish. We only have one life to live and it is very short. To waste time playing video games when you could be doing something constructive is, in my opinion, a terrible thing.

If you need to have something to keep you from "going nuts", why don't you buy a Rosetta Stone program and learn another language? Or, if that is too expensive, pick up a new hobby or pursue something that is interesting to you such as reading about history or planning a small garden for spring.

You could lean how to build a website and make some money doing it for other people, or you could design/develop something that you could sell either online, through Craigslist or at flea markets/swap meets. You could even write stories/articles and submit them online to blogs that buy content.

There are a million things that you could be spending your time doing other than video games. And yes, if I were single, I'd not be interested in someone who was into video games.

20yrsinBranson
I do most of those things (and more!) AND still play video games.

Why do some people think it's an all or nothing? Like if you own a ps3 you obviously can't go to school, hold a job, have other hobbies or have a life.

I spend quite a bit of time with a flight simulator GAME, which actually counts as a few hours when one is getting their pilots license. But, I guess since it's a video game it doesn't count as doing anything constructive

Old 12-29-2012, 01:18 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

Why do some people think it's an all or nothing? Like if you own a ps3 you obviously can't go to school, hold a job, have other hobbies or have a life.

I spend quite a bit of time with a flight simulator GAME, which actually counts as a few hours when one is getting their pilots license. But, I guess since it's a video game it doesn't count as doing anything constructive
Infinity reps points for Jet. Flawless Victory.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:28 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,599,226 times
Video games are no different than any other hobby of an "entertainment" nature - e.g. movies, TV, music, fiction books, etc. While there are some games that target the little kid demographic, the general belief (one that's held by many older folks) that video games are "toys meant for kids" needs to burn in hell. That may have been more true 15 or 20 years ago, but not today. There are games today that tackle mature themes (Spec Ops: The Line, Heavy Rain, Catherine, The Witcher 2 come to mind). If you're sitting in the waiting room or just want a bit of downtime to yourself, why not occupy that time by playing a game if that's what you're into. It's no different than spending that time reading the latest Tom Clancy novel or whatever.

The problem is when some folks spend darn near ALL of their spare time playing video games, or watching movies, or even reading books. Moderation is key in all of those things. Delegate some of that spare time to doing fun social activities/events with your friends and GF/BFs, or playing a sport, or helping out around the house, or trying out that new restaurant, or going for a scenic drive in the mountains, or learning a new language, or volunteering for a good cause. Whatever. Blame the person and his lack of an interesting and diversified social life, not video games. It's those particular people who are childish and need to grow up. There are others who are gamers and yet still make time for other interests, furthering their work/career, their friends, dating, and so on...and many of those folks are surely decent people.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
Infinity reps points for Jet. Flawless Victory.
100% agreed.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:15 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:

I'd say that among gamers, you are the exception and not the rule, JetJockey. Yes, you can do both, but video games, much like the internet, tend to suck you in and eat up your time so very little of it is left for other things.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I'd say that among gamers, you are the exception and not the rule, JetJockey. Yes, you can do both, but video games, much like the internet, tend to suck you in and eat up your time so very little of it is left for other things.

20yrsinBranson
I know plenty of gamers that are just like me. My brother is a gamer and he's a full time student and plays on a semi pro baseball team, another good friend is an aircraft mechanic and also plays on a nationally ranked Halo team, another friend plays CoD constantly and works as a web programmer while making quite a bit of money freelancing.

In fact...I'd say that among gamers, I'm the norm and the outliers that let it affect their entire life are the exceptions. I've known a few gamers that spent a bit more time and were slackers, but they were in the minority by far.

How many gamers do you know? I'd venture to say I know quite a few more than you do

Old 12-29-2012, 07:28 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
To the posters who are saying there is better things to you with your free time like reading, learning another language, etc. What the hell are you doing on city-data then? Shouldn't you be doing something "productive"?

Quote:
Jetjockey has a point here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships