Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date a guy that played video games?
Yes, I would it does not bother me. 35 64.81%
No, I wouldn't because it is too childish 19 35.19%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times

Advertisements

I played WoW casually on and off since 2004. It's a cool game...but when you are a casual player, you do wind up running into some limitations. You get judged for not being an obsessive hardcore player. I wasn't down to devote hours and schedule my life around raids. And I wasn't into PvP either. So yeah. Finally I had some technical issues with a patch, and that was the last straw. I'm over it.

D&D however, that is a social activity. My oldest son plays with us too, my younger one doesn't have the attention span for it. It's something for a group of friends to get together weekly and do, or if we don't feel like it we might shoot pool in my basement instead.

I think the element that is massively lost with choosing video games over tabletop games is the social interaction. You might chat with people online, but ultimately you're staring at a screen, not interacting face to face...it makes a big difference. Humans evolved to interact face to face. I wonder what adaptations in humanity will take place over the next decades as that is replaced with technology more and more. Some of it is good, I think, like people being able to make friends in distant countries. I think that world peace is a lot less possible when we never interact with far away cultures (if it's possible at all.) But the things I hear about online dating don't really sound good...and some people really do replace reality with virtual reality to rather damaging degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 12:31 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I played WoW casually on and off since 2004. It's a cool game...but when you are a casual player, you do wind up running into some limitations. You get judged for not being an obsessive hardcore player. I wasn't down to devote hours and schedule my life around raids. And I wasn't into PvP either. So yeah. Finally I had some technical issues with a patch, and that was the last straw. I'm over it.

D&D however, that is a social activity. My oldest son plays with us too, my younger one doesn't have the attention span for it. It's something for a group of friends to get together weekly and do, or if we don't feel like it we might shoot pool in my basement instead.

I think the element that is massively lost with choosing video games over tabletop games is the social interaction. You might chat with people online, but ultimately you're staring at a screen, not interacting face to face...it makes a big difference. Humans evolved to interact face to face. I wonder what adaptations in humanity will take place over the next decades as that is replaced with technology more and more. Some of it is good, I think, like people being able to make friends in distant countries. I think that world peace is a lot less possible when we never interact with far away cultures (if it's possible at all.) But the things I hear about online dating don't really sound good...and some people really do replace reality with virtual reality to rather damaging degrees.
Tabletop gaming is making a HUUUGE resurgence and I've noticed a lot of bars where I live are hosting 'tabletop nights' where they just set up a bunch of tables for gaming. Comic book stores do it as well, but that's a more obvious choice Wil Wheaton does a youtube series called Tabletop where he plays awesome games with random people and it's an absolute crack up!

I've actually met a few people who are going to let me join in when they start a new D&D campaign... I miss my old gaming buddies I think that was the worst thing about moving.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:45 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Tabletop gaming is making a HUUUGE resurgence and I've noticed a lot of bars where I live are hosting 'tabletop nights' where they just set up a bunch of tables for gaming. Comic book stores do it as well, but that's a more obvious choice Wil Wheaton does a youtube series called Tabletop where he plays awesome games with random people and it's an absolute crack up!

I've actually met a few people who are going to let me join in when they start a new D&D campaign... I miss my old gaming buddies I think that was the worst thing about moving.
Our group has been playing Pathfinder. It's really similar to D&D (to the point I call it that, just as shorthand so I don't have to explain what it is) but the functionality is a little bit easier. Instead of consulting a bunch of charts to find numbers to figure out the results of an action, the math is generally a dice roll and a couple of things added from your character sheet. I've been playing a healer, which I must admit isn't as much fun as my ranger was. My husband is playing a bard based on Joan Jett...kind of ridiculous...but whateva.

The singer of my favorite band wrote a tabletop RPG adventure that's in the process of being published. It's for a different system but I'm very eager to get my hands on it and try and at least incorporate the story into our campaign if we can. He's got a twisted mind and he's a brilliant writer so I bet it's going to be some crazy unique material...

Old 12-27-2012, 03:51 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,654 times
Quote:
Our group has been playing Pathfinder. It's really similar to D&D (to the point I call it that, just as shorthand so I don't have to explain what it is) but the functionality is a little bit easier. Instead of consulting a bunch of charts to find numbers to figure out the results of an action, the math is generally a dice roll and a couple of things added from your character sheet. I've been playing a healer, which I must admit isn't as much fun as my ranger was. My husband is playing a bard based on Joan Jett...kind of ridiculous...but whateva.

The singer of my favorite band wrote a tabletop RPG adventure that's in the process of being published. It's for a different system but I'm very eager to get my hands on it and try and at least incorporate the story into our campaign if we can. He's got a twisted mind and he's a brilliant writer so I bet it's going to be some crazy unique material...
My gaming group is contemplating switching our D&D 3.5 campaign to a Pathfinder campaign.

Our first hurdle though is keeping the game going after the wife and I move to Denver.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:03 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J
[B
I've actually met a few people who are going to let me join in when they start a new D&D campaign... I miss my old gaming buddies[/b] I think that was the worst thing about moving.
That's the feeling I have graduating college this year.

Well on topic of the tabletop gaming I'm probably going to get back into Warhammer 40k after school sense I will hopefully have the funds for it.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:27 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I prefer someone who has a life.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:32 AM

681 posts, read 618,759 times
Quote:

Yeah, I heard that FF 14 is coming out for ps3 and I am gearing up for and trying to figure out if I am going to get it or not. The game itself was fun, but I am a perfectionist when it comes to my gaming and I don't want to spend 4000 hours on a game. I do like table top games but just certain ones. That game wit and wagers was pretty good and everyone gets to participate. I also played Pass the Popcorn, but i didn't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

Man, I wish I had the same thing! I miss playing D&D, but i don't miss who I played it with. The people that I played with would never go out or do anything else at all and it was a major buzzkill. My friend used to say that certain people are for certain things. I guess they were right. I'm going to have to check out that youtube video, i didn't know that.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:35 AM

681 posts, read 618,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So you think people that play games have no life? That's a wrong assumption to have. Using myself as an example, I play games, but for the life of me there is nothing to do around here. You could go to a museum I guess or go to the movies or the mall, but other than that or bars(which are dead on fridays) that's all there is to do here.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:47 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So... When I was in an FOB in Afgh' with 8 hours to switch off from what i'd seen and done that day, because I chose to play on a 360 for a couple of hours I had no life?

My wife owns a very successful business and because she sometimes chooses to play driving games on the PS3 or the 360 to relax she has no life? When we play games together (no giggling at the back) we're demonstrating that we have no life?

Having a pass-time that relaxes you whether running, reading, digging holes in the garden and sticking green things in them or whatever is generally beneficial. Doing any of those things to a level where it is all-encompassing is generally detrimental, gaming is no different.

Methinks a little perspective and less blanket statement making might be in order?

Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
I am addicted to Angry Birds. Other than that I don't have interest in video games. I bought a Wii when they came out. I think I have played it 4 times. I do enjoy playing the classic games when I find them especially Galaga.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships